Author Topic: I hate books like this  (Read 2062 times)

scottinflorida

I hate books like this
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
I recently came across a book that is a good representation of why almost everyone fails when they try a "diet".  The book is called The High School Reunion Diet

I guess there will never be an end to the people that want a short-term solution to a long-term problem.  You can almost guarantee that people will follow this "diet" (whatever it is, doesn't really matter), go to their reunion, and start putting those pounds back on the very next day.  Or more likely, they get back to their old eating habits at the reunion itself.  In a very short time, they have all that weight back and more.

Like Oprah, back when she went on the Slim-Fast Diet.  She said she reached her goal weight, and was at that weight for exactly one day.  It just doesn't work.

I guess it's smart marketing to capitalize on the human desire for a quick, easy fix.  Just seems slimy to me though, to make money like this while knowing it's not going to really help people with their real problem.

Thank you Doug, for having a heart to actually help people rather than just trying to make a quick buck.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: I hate books like this
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
For some, it's anything for the "almighty" dollar.
The sin of greed knows no bounds no matter who it hurts!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
Unfortunately, because they hear it from "credible" sources, such as their doctors and the US government, most people don't realize that they are being hurt by following such advice.  They don't think about how America is getting fatter than ever eating the way the government says to eat.  I know I certainly didn't until I stumbled upon FTS.

Mark

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:30:18 AM »
It really is sad. People are just confused by these kind of books they don't know what to eat :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:03:40 PM »
U are so right Umpa - so many conflicting diets and information.  Everywhere you turn someone else is giving you different advice.  Even the medical profession keeps changing it's mind.

I tuned into Dr Oz yesterday and he was extolling the virtues of black current juice and a particular grape juice and eating blueberries on at least a daily basis.  All I could think of is the amount of sugar that would have been in these juices. 

Because people are desparate, they are willing to pay big $ for a dream.  Unfortunately a lot of these dreams turn to nightmares, costly nightmares.  I just think of weight watchers - honestly if it worked so well why would people keep having to return to the program and why would WW keep changing it's program?  If it worked, why would you have to change it?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
... I just think of weight watchers - honestly if it worked so well why would people keep having to return to the program and why would WW keep changing it's program?  If it worked, why would you have to change it?

Hi Morgan!

Great point!
WW would have gone away long ago if it did not have such an effective marketing campaign with lots of $$$ behind it.

Things that work do just that... They WORK!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!