Author Topic: Trying Again...need a boost!  (Read 2380 times)

FiveOhWife

• View Profile
Trying Again...need a boost!
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
Hi All,
First time posting but not new to FTS.
Got the book from my doctor in Denver 2 years ago.  I read it in one sitting and it changed my life.  I changed my habits the next day and had great results losing 35 pounds in a few short months.  I told everyone who crossed my path about FTS (still do).  The holidays hit before I reached my goal weight and I made some poor choices...feeling that I was in control.  I wasn't.
My weight ballooned back up and I'm teetering around 180.  I'm 5'3".  I've re-read FTS but can't get my brain to follow what my heart wants.  Or Vice Versa.  I know what to do and it's like I've got no drive to do it. 
This past May my husband was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and our lives have spiraled in a food frenzy depression.  He's nearing the end of his treatments so we are making plans to take our lives by the horns and get our health back.  An avid cyclist he's put on weight during treatment so once his fatigue ends he's back on the bike and leaving me in the dust. 
We have 2 girls 19 and 16.  My 16 year old already shows the symptoms like me of insulin resistance etc.  She is so active and still struggles daily with her weight. 
I've basically come to the conclusion that we are addicts.  Sugar is our drug.  Like any drug addiction you can't cure yourself.  I need sugar rehab and I need support.
It's funny, I look in the mirror and the image I see isn't so heavy etc.  And then yesterday my husband took a couple photos of me outside and I was horrified.  I'm not anywhere where I thought I was. 
I've tired Weight Watchers, Isagenix, etc...and Fat To Skinny is the ONLY thing that has worked for me.     
So I'm back with a vengeance.  I have to do this..for myself and my family.  And they're coming along for the ride. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Trying Again...need a boost!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, RugbyMom!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's health battle.
In 1973, I lost my brother to Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
Back then, they did not know how to treat it effectively.
Today, your husband has an excellent shot of beating it! He will be in my daily prayers!

You're right!... We're carb/sugar addicts, and work daily to keep ourselves healthy.
As was posted recently, our forum is much like AA is for alcoholics.
And like AA, this lifestyle program works if you use it.

You hold the key to your success... The knowledge of how (i.e. FTS) to reach your goal.
Now, it's a matter of mustering the commitment needed to make it real for you.

Make a promise to yourself each morning that you WILL live TODAY by the FTS rules.
And, hold yourself to account and use your FTS forum family.
Do this everyday, and tomorrow will take care of itself. ;)

We'll be right here for you! :) :) :)

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Rugbymom.  I think you will find that participating in the forum will help you through the tough times.  We've all been where you are, ready to make a commitment and needing a place to ask questions, vent and get support.

I live in the Denver area, too, and was referred to FTS by my doctor.  You can do this and give your girls an example to follow.

You've had a tough year and had to put others first.  Don't beat yourelf up about where you are now.  You deserve to give yourself this gift.  We're here to do whatever we can to help you be successful.

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Rugbymom.  We all need support in making lifestyle changes, and in the short time I have been on the forum I have seen nothing but support.  The people here genuinely care about each other.  We are here to answer questions, cheerlead, and offer a shoulder to lean on if need be.  You can do it.  Getting your family involved will make it so much better too.  Planning FTS meals with your kids... and you will be giving them a gift as well.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!  I am so sorry to hear about your husband's illness, but thankful he's now on the road to recovery!  :)  Sounds like you already know the FTS ropes!  I know you will enjoy the forum. We are all in this together, and that makes it so much easier!   

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
Welcome,  welcome, welcome to the FTS forum family Rugbymom  :) 

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Trying Again...need a boost!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:25 AM »
Welcome! I am another newby...been here for 4 months anx boy has it changed my life! I am never looking back again ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »
Welcome Rugbymom! I am Umpa,Dougs wife.If I can help you please ask. The best gift you can give your family is to remove sugar from your home.Sugar feeds cancer.It sounds like you all have the right attitude. Clean out the cabinets and donate the food to charity.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.You can do this and we are gonna help you ;)