Author Topic: catznflwrz confused by numbers  (Read 4412 times)

catznflwrz

• View Profile
catznflwrz confused by numbers
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
Hi FTS Friends, Sorry I haven't been able to continue to post my meals after just posting one but, I began a 5 day, overnight stint, pinchhitting as petsitter, with no computer access. I just checked in today (Sun) on the responses to my Tues. meal post and boy was I surprised! I've been eating strawberries based on the carb count from Doug's sugar and carb count E book, which says strawberries are 2gs per 1/2 cup, which equaled 4 gs from my calculations, not 10, which is the number given in my meal critique...so what gives? I want the feed back and believe me I'm not being defensive here because I desperately want to loose weight. Also, I only used 1/3 can (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes, so that would be about 9 oz and a 8 oz can of Rotelli diced tomatoes with green chilies, mixed with 1 lb of hamburger. I don't believe that eating 1 cup of the total combination would have yielded a 10 g  carb count for the amount of tomatoes I ingested. Although, I see here that I need to pre measure all the "carby" things going into the recipe before combining them so I can get a more accurate count for the amount I end up eating, once everything is mixed together. I realize that you all figured the carb count when I didn't divulge the amounts (particularly of the tomatoes) that I used in my chili recipe. I didn't count the Worcestershire or the spices though, so I have to count the carbs for those. Also I was talking about the veggies in terms of "cooked amount" not raw, so I was off there also. I guess that means that I actually ate more than I thought. I really need a clarification on the berries as  they've been in our diet daily. As I'm typing I rechecked the E carb book, and sure enough it says 2g per 1/2 cup??? Normally, we eat simple meats ie: chix, beef etc with out combining them in a recipe like the chili. I'm glad this was what I first posted with though, because it brought out some important measuring details I needed to be made aware of. I'll continue to post meals when I return home this coming Tues. and hopefully I'll be drinking the min. of 64 oz of water as instructed. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PASSION AND THE GUIDENCE! I'm looking forward to the strawberry question. I'll be remeasuring the almonds too, catznflwrz

SarahC

• View Profile
Re: catznflwrz confused by numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:43 PM »
Hi Catz, I don't know what the deal is on the strawberries - nutritiondata.self.com has 1 cup of strawberry halves as a net 9 carbs. I don't think I said anything aobut your posted meal, but I remember thinking as I was reading it that it seemed like a lot of food. I thought I'd let someone else address that issue because I'm not having any success at all after the first 25 lbs. lost - I haven't lost anything in the last five months, no pounds, no inches. I'm at a standstill. I've tried everything - carbs under 10, under 5, no sweets, moderate sweets, lots of sweets, no nuts, only meat and veges - 3.5 oz meat and 1/2 cup servings of veggies. So I can't comment on other people's eating. I can only wish you luck.

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
Hi catznflwrz  here is a good web site to get carb counts.  http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2486  I also like to use this one http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/hidden_carbs.html

It's hard sometimes to judge how much is a half cup when things are different sizes and shapes.  I like to weigh my things then there is no doubt.  Strawberries are good for us to have and they are low enough in carbs but they can add up quick so be careful.  Most all of Doug's totals are listed as raw and for 1/2 cup servings.  (you are right he does list them as 2 for 1/2 cup.)  Most likely those strawberries are whole as well.  You can get a lot more slices of strawberries in a cup than you can whole....  :P  darn it.  LOL  Like you stated always measure or weigh everything before it goes into a recipe....total those net carbs and divide by the amount of servings you get.  There are so many variables that it makes it hard for us to give a good count on what things are.  Many different products have different counts.  So one time you make it.....it may be a different count than the next.  It makes it a challenge but I think it keeps me on my toes LOL   ;)    You will get the hang of it...just watch that small stuff.

Also I don't know if this helps but I try and pair my meals.  For instance if I'm having something complex like a recipe with lots of ingredients I try and stay away from anything sweet or dessert like.  I try not to have snacks either.  If I'm going to go with easy simple meat and veggie meal I'll go ahead and have a treat like strawberries.  This helps me to keep it simple and trying to guess if I'm staying in the safe zone.  Those little things can get away from you  ;) ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
just use doug carb counter until you get the swings of things. ;)

Waterlilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Hi Catz, I don't know what the deal is on the strawberries - nutritiondata.self.com has 1 cup of strawberry halves as a net 9 carbs. I don't think I said anything aobut your posted meal, but I remember thinking as I was reading it that it seemed like a lot of food. I thought I'd let someone else address that issue because I'm not having any success at all after the first 25 lbs. lost - I haven't lost anything in the last five months, no pounds, no inches. I'm at a standstill. I've tried everything - carbs under 10, under 5, no sweets, moderate sweets, lots of sweets, no nuts, only meat and veges - 3.5 oz meat and 1/2 cup servings of veggies. So I can't comment on other people's eating. I can only wish you luck.

Sarah - do you exercise at all? And do you know how many calories you are taking in? I say this not because I lost 25 pounds or anything, but because I've just started doing both of these things. I know my problem on LC has always been that I eat too much.