Author Topic: Why I count Coffee as one carb per cup  (Read 4755 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Why I count Coffee as one carb per cup
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:23 AM »
Here's the facts about your cup of Joe  ;)

According to the Canadian Diabetes Association: Drinking caffeine in large amounts as coffee over a short period of time has been shown to raise blood sugar. Caffeine does this by enhancing the effect of two hormones (adrenaline and glucagon). These two hormones release stored sugar from the liver resulting in high blood sugar.  This results in large amounts of insulin being dumped into your blood stream. Remember that the job of insulin is to regulate your blood sugar. It needs to do something with the excess glucose (sugar). The easiest thing for insulin to do with it is to store it in your body as fat. Simply put: coffee can affect your blood sugar which could interfere with the body's ability to burn fat.

Now with that said.....I LOVE MY coffee, how do I personally deal with it? I spread my coffee out during the day and always drink decaf in the evenings

I hope this clears up the great coffee debate :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Why I count Coffee as one carb per cup
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:53:40 PM »
Here's the facts about your cup of Joe  ;)

According to the Canadian Diabetes Association: Drinking caffeine in large amounts as coffee over a short period of time has been shown to raise blood sugar. 

... Now with that said.....I LOVE MY coffee ...

I LOVE my coffee too, Doug!

My doctor mentioned not overdoing it with coffee too.
He said 3 to 4 cups a day (max.) spread out over several hours can be good for me.
Much more than that, cancels the good effects.

I used to drink 5 or 6+ cups of regular coffee a day (over 3-4 hours) each with a packet of Sweet N' Low.
That is 2 net carbs per cup and represents 10 to 12+ net carbs a day!
That puts a BIG dent into the 20 carb daily limit.

With F2S, I now drink only 3 cups (sometimes 4) with NO sweeteners over 4-5 hours in the morning.
I drink NONE in the afternoons or evenings (except on occasion 1 cup with a special dessert).

I've noticed that my "nerves" are a lot steadier thru the day ever since.
What you do today is what matters!

joagain

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »
Hey Tony that sounds about what I drink they have a liquid sweetner that has 0 carbs I use that and Heavy whipping creme . but it is worth the carbs if you have too count them . to me anyway ,i also just drink them in the morning I mix a can of decaf & regular together so I get just a little caffeine

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »
Hey Jo, I do the same thing with my coffee, I buy one bag of decaf columbian and one bag of Folger's caramel drizzle and mix them together.  YUM!

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

joagain

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »
I have to try that folgers makes a carmal drizzle I will have to try that

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »
Drinking caffeine in large amounts as coffee over a short period of time has been shown to raise blood sugar. Caffeine does this by enhancing the effect of two hormones (adrenaline and glucagon). These two hormones release stored sugar from the liver resulting in high blood sugar.

i wonder if caffeine raises your blood sugar does the same hold true for diet soda, and other drinks that contain caffeine? interesting

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:13:13 AM »
Yes it does just a little when Tyler has checked his sugar it has always  went up ,we have quit all diet drinks . Tyler gets one when we go out to eat . But we have none in the house anymore .

But I still love my coffee

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

AliciaInTX

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »
Very interesting! I love my black coffee, so I figured I was all good (no sweeteners).... I typically don't drink more than three cups but it's all within the first two hours of waking. Hm. Need to figure out a way to slow it down.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
Drinking caffeine in large amounts as coffee over a short period of time has been shown to raise blood sugar. Caffeine does this by enhancing the effect of two hormones (adrenaline and glucagon). These two hormones release stored sugar from the liver resulting in high blood sugar.

i wonder if caffeine raises your blood sugar does the same hold true for diet soda, and other drinks that contain caffeine? interesting

Hi Steph! :)

As Tyler's experience attests, caffeine is caffeine.
It will behave the same way no matter how it's carried into the body.

But in diet sodas, we must also be mindful of the sugar alcohol content.
It too can cause significant blood sugar spikes in some people and stall outs.

Like Jo, I love my coffee! ;D
But, I limit myself to 3 cups each morning, spread out over several hours.

My doctor told me my consumption was well within healthy limits.
And that I could expect a small blood glucose spike from it.
But not to worry... Two or three cups a day can be beneficial! :)

This is good to remember BEFORE having a fasting blood glucose test.

As the old adage goes... In all things, moderation is key! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

scottinflorida

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:40:46 AM »
I used to drink 3-4 cans of Diet Coke per day.  About a year ago, after having not had any for several months, I figured I would try one again.  I couldn't even drink half the can.  I have developed a distaste for it, which I am happy about.

I do drink 3-4 cups of coffee throughout the day now, each one sweetened with FTS ZERO Sweetener, and with a bit of sugar-free flavored cream.

MichelleShani

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
Why Am I just now seeing this? Wow! I've just learned something new. Thanks Doug for the info. I need to cut my caffeine intake because I've been drinking coffee constantly 4-6 cups a day