Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 2334 times)

Cindie

• View Profile
    • Email
Newbie Questions
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:21:37 AM »
Hi I am new, actually have been lurking around awhile but just recently decided to go all in on FTS.  I currently weight 310, and only 5'5. In the last 3 years my health has taken a giant nosedive and I have been through breast cancer, diabetes, sleep apnea, atrial fibulation, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc, etc. I had a cardiac ablation done two months ago. My heart dr told me then I have got to lose weight or I will die.  That should be enough motivation right? Well to be honest some days it is, some days I don't care.  You see, we lost our 27 year old daughter 2 1/2 yrs ago. She had a 4 yr old boy and an 18 day old infant girl. Losing a child is something one should never have to go through. Since that time I have really struggled with depression and grief and to be totally honest there are a lot of days that my give a dam is busted!

However, I am still fighting and trying to find a way to regain my health. The first time I Read FTS I dismissed it because I thought I could never do this on 20 carbs a day. I have followed a reduced carb diet before and had lost 44 lbs in 4 months, but at that point the weight loss stopped and I didn't lose another pound even staying with the program for another 5 months. By then my focus was totally on those scales, I got discouraged, and gave up. I put it all back on plus a lot more after our daughter passed away. in hindsight I believe now that I was consuming too many carbs to keep losing.

Since the Dr. gave me the low down in Aug, I have lost 35 pounds, mainly by cutting back. But now I still have a long way to go and I so want a lifestyle than I can live with the rest of my life.  I am so sick of how much mental energy Ive wasted on this subject! So...I have committed to FTS.

I do have a few questions.  After reading the books and forums, I am wondering if most of you do eat a lot of the low carb bakery foods.  If so, do you crave them like I now crave carbs. I am concerned this  intake may keep me from reaching a point where I stop craving sugar and junk all the time.

Second,  what tips do you all have for making all the cooking and chopping up all those vegies go easier during the work week.

I have one.  We always grill on Sunday nights, so we recently started grilling meats for three meals to be used throughout the week. That just leaves the vegies to cook, which is much easier.

Thanks for this plan and this forum!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:35 AM »
Oh cindie my heart goes out to you.  Sometimes I think my life truly sux, but usually am able to pull myself together.  I totally get that some days you wonder - why bother.  It is the ones you love and that love you that actually keep you  going.  You lost your daughter (so sad), but I'm sure she would love to see you live your life when she couldn't.  You have beautiful grandchildren that need you.  Be kind to yourself and make peace with your life as it is.  Make yourself well, commit to it. 

Everyone on this forum will support you, answer your questions, pray for you (providing you're not an atheist - and even then, I'm sure we would slip one in for you  :)).  Life is a hard climb sometimes, but we have to keep at it and eventually we succeed.

The thing I have learnt most on this plan is not to rely on the scales.  My health seems to have improved so much - not that I still don't have weight to lose and wish it would go quicker than it is but, when I consider giving up, I don't want to.  I really don't.  I want to stay on and be healthy.  Sugar adds its woe to so many of our health issues.

The bakery products are great, but really they are treats, and as doug says 'treats are not a food group'.  The thing is you get over it all - believe it or not.  After your detox  you look at sugar in a totally different way.

With regards to the vegetables - you have to keep a check on them as they can add up quick.  If I'm not throwing them in casserole style, they only take minutes in the microwave or frypan.  Sometimes I make extra to just reheat in the next 2 days or so.  In my fridge I keep my favourites, handy whenever I need.  Spinach and zucchini my favourite.

Join in cindie - post often.  Become family  :D

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Hi Cindie....I am so sorry for your loss.  I just can't imagine what it is to loose a child.  :(

Morgan's words are spot on here.   Once you go through that detox you wont worry about the sugar items and carby things anymore..... you won't crave the FTS baked goods like you do now.  If you do then it is just a habit kind of thing.  Sometimes old habits will try to sneak in on me.  Haha  For years I have always been in the habit that I have to have something sweet to end a meal.  (Where and when that started I haven't a clue.....I guess when I was a kid I always loved the excitement to see what mom had for desert that night....it was always a reword for doing well that day and finishing your plate)   For those kind of foods I have to take special steps to keep me from over indulging.....Like keeping them frozen or store them not so easy to see.  Other than that I am so much more relaxed around food....FTS is very liberating that way.   I feel like I am free to worry over all the other things in life rather than food consuming me  ;)

The best tip I have for anyone starting out is prepare prepare prepare.  You have already taken that step with grilling....great idea by the way...now take it one step further and decide what your meals, snacks, drinks, treats.....etc will be for the week.  When the choice is already decided you no longer have to think and obsess over it.  The best part is you wont make the wrong choice in a moment of weakness.  Go ahead and chop those veggies, make up salads, portion out any bulk items....you will thank yourself throughout the week.  I like to make up my salads in canning jars....romaine lettuce keeps wonderfully in them.

Most of all just know that we are here for you....Please come in often and join in with the discussions.  The best tool is right here at your finger tips  ;D 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
Cindie I feel so bad for you. My heart goes out to you.Life is scary sometimes.Morgan is correct your family needs you.You also need to get in control of your life in order to heal. I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Cindie!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.

According to my doctor, FTS saved my life!
I WAS type II diabetic with high blood pressure, and bad cholesterol.
I was taking 5 different meds EVERY day. :( :( :(
Now, I'm taking 0 (ZERO) meds EVERY day!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

The point of FTS is regaining the health we lost while eating that toxic sugar.
The weight loss is really a fringe benefit! ;)

Morgan's right!... Treats are NOT a food group and are to be enjoyed only occasionally.
By keeping your carb count very low, you're cravings for carbs (including treats) will lower a lot!
But, if you eat them too often, you'll create a habit that will only slow you down.

What I do is prepare things like celery, onions, etc. and keep them in Ziplock bags in the fridge on the weekends.
Then during the week, if I need something, the chopping is minimal if at all.

Stick with us Cindie, and we'll help you get healthier too! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Oh Cindie,  I wish I could just give you a big hug right now.  I cannot imagine what you have been through.  As the others have said, those precious grandchildren ARE counting on YOU!  I know your daughter would want you to find joy in life and love on those babies for her!  I am going to pray for peace for you and your family.

As for FTS, you have come to the right place!  The people here are so sincere and they will support you everyday.  This plan really works, and for me it's just a lifestyle now.  I really LOVE eating this way, and it just makes me feel good! 

Welcome to the family!!! We are here for YOU!!  :) 

KFAITH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:17:43 AM »
Hello Cindie, My heart goes out to  you, prayers are with you, I have never lost a child, but many other loved ones, parents, brother in laws, and other relatives, life truly is never the same when loved ones pass on, with each one goes a piece of our heart, but yes we must keep on keeping on, they'd want us to, and also for those that need us so much.
I too have health issues and very many pounds to loose. I will look forward to seeing your posts. We can do this we all can do this and regain our life and health. ;D 
I had lost some about a year ago than got off the FTS, just came back today is day 5 and I am doing well on it.
Also wanted to say that any kind of treats will mess up any diet, even sugar free ones. They should be very rare not a daily thing.  One thing that helps when ya need something is sugar free jello with some redi whip.  The last time I was on this I got to eating too many of those Russell Stoffer sugar free candy, and I was never even a candy eater normally, but for some reason I got to enjoying them way too much. haha
For sure it is the truth, once we get that sugar out of system, eat what FTS says, you really do not crave nothing, sometimes you do not even get hungry, it really works.
Praying for joy and success to you.
With God all things are possible
Rosie

Cindie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »
Oh My Goodness! What an encouraging bunch of people you are! I think I have found a new home. ;) Thanks to each one of you for the encouragement, and YES I do believe in the power of prayer!  My faith in Christ is the only thing that has got me this far!

TooSweet: I am so sick of spending so much time over obsessing on what to do to get this weight off! I totally agree I am ready to think about other stuff for a change. I wanted a plan that I can adopt as my new lifestyle and quit worrying about it. I believe FTS is it! 

Many of you responded to my comments about the SF treats, and it sounds to me the best plan is to save those for special occasions.  I have already found out I easily overindulge even just with the dang ReddiWhip. 

There are so many great recipes and tips here, but most of all I am thankful to have found such great people so that we can support one another. I will be lifting each of you up in prayers and certainly appreciate yours. I am looking forward to getting to know each of you better and traveling the journey! Thank you!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
Hi Cindie, welcome to your new family....we got a hold of yo so hang on for the ride. Your job is to jump in with both feet and be strong, the rest will take care of itself.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »
Welcome and you will be happy to be here. ;)