Author Topic: Thanksgiving Recipes Canadian and American Post yours here  (Read 30261 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Thanksgiving Recipes Canadian and American Post yours here
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Sending prayers your way Beebs :)

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
Me toooooo, Beebs! Buckets of blessings and answers and direction from Above are on their way to you!!
Jeremiah 29:11-14

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
Is everybody set for Thanksgiving???? Do you all have your recipes???? ::)

joagain

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
Um pa is sweet potato casserole impossible ?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »
No Jo.Did you watch the pumpkin video we did where doug baked the whole bottom of the pumpkin?

thedaltons6

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 09:03:09 AM »
where are these videos??
weight loss Center is your best free resource for [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss[/url]

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:27 AM »
Go back to the Home page and click in the Fat to Skinny Cooking Show.  There are 2 pumpkin videos.

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »
Here are a couple of recipes from Dana Carpender (Just for you Beebs)

Pork Rind Stuffing
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
salt and pepper, to taste
poultry seasoning, to taste
1 packet splenda or other sweetener
1/4 stick butter
1/4 cup cream
3 1/2 ounces chicken broth (about 1/4 can)
10 ounces pork rinds, crushed a bit
4 eggs
Saute celery, onions, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, sweetener, and butter in a frying pan, until transparent and tender. Add other ingredients and mix together until the pork rinds are coated and moist. Put into baking dish and bake for 35 to 50 minutes until set like regular bread stuffing. Feel free to add more eggs or cream to get to texture you are used to. Some people also add mushroom, sage, sausage or oysters.

Assuming 8 servings, each will have: 276 Calories; 18g Fat; 25g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber.

You can also dilute the carbs in your stuffing by adding lower carb ingredients. Like this:
Increase the ratio of vegetables to bread. Much of the flavor of stuffing comes from the celery and onions, both of which are considerably lower carb than even the lowest carb bread.
Add sliced, sauteed mushrooms. They add a delectable flavor, and are very low in carbohydrate -- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms, before cooking, contains only 2.3 grams of carbohydrate, with 0.8 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of just 1.5 grams. A couple of cups of mushrooms will bulk up the volume and pump up the flavor, while cutting the carb count per serving!
Nuts add a wonderful flavor and crunch to dressing, and they're quite healthful. Walnuts or pecans would be my choice, but almonds would be good, too. 1 cup of chopped walnuts contains 16 grams of carbohydrate, with 7.8 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 8.2 grams. 1 cup of pecans has 15 grams of carbohydrate, with 10.5 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of just 4.5 grams. And 1 cup of slivered almonds contains 21 grams of carbohydrate, with 12.7 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 8.3 grams. If you add nuts to your stuffing, saute them a bit of butter first, until they smell toasty, to bring out their flavor and increase their crispness.
My mom always put cooked, crumbled pork sausage in her stuffing. It tastes wonderful, and of course it's very low carb. My sister makes her dressing with as much sausage as bread!
Less traditionally, you can make a great dressing with no bread at all. Try this quick-and-simple skillet recipe:
Apple Walnut Dressing
4 tablespoons butter
1 crisp, tart apple
2 large stalks celery
1 medium onion
1 cup shelled walnuts
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
3/4 teaspoon salt or Vege-Sal
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
Start the butter melting in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.

Quarter the apple and trim out the core, whack each quarter into two pieces (making eighths), and drop them in your food processor with the S-blade in place. Whack each stalk of celery into 4-5 big chunks, and throw them in, too. Quarter the onion, peel, and throw it in, and then dump in the walnuts. Pulse the food processor until everything's a medium consistency.

Dump this mixture, along with the mushrooms, into the butter in the skillet, turn the heat up to medium-high, and saute everything for a minute or two, stirring. Then cover it, and let it cook for 10 minutes, uncovering every 3 minutes or so to stir the whole thing again.

Stir in the salt and poultry seasoning, let it cook for another minute or two, and serve.

6-8 servings. Assuming 6, each will have 9 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber, for a usable carb count of 6 grams.

© 2010 by Dana Carpender. Used by permission of the author. What do you think? Please send Dana your comments to Dana Carpender.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

joagain

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 06:08:41 AM »
Paula have your tried the porkskin dressing ?

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
Beebles dont like pork rinds. oocky!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »
Paula have you cooked this? :)

paulachappell

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 02:24:58 PM »
Sorry! I haven't tried it yet, just found it last night.  It looks pretty promising.  We are doing our dinner early, next Sunday so I will try it then.  Just wanted to see what everyone else thought ;)

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 11:57:01 AM »
Here are a couple of recipes from Dana Carpender (Just for you Beebs)

Paula~
Have you made many of her recipes? If so, how do you like them. I believe she's an Atkins follower and wondered if her recipes have too many carbs for the FTS lifestyle.
Thanks
Jeremiah 29:11-14

owensmath

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 12:34:38 PM »
I have her book "500 Low-Carb Recipes" and many of them are too high for FTS. There are, however, some really useful ones in there as well. Of course, we can always convert her recipes that are too high to make them more FTS friendly.

paulachappell

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »
She shares some pretty good ideas for pork rinds
and I make the pork rind cookies pretty often. The dressing is only 2 carbs per serving, not too bad for a holiday replacement.