Author Topic: double chocolate cake  (Read 9717 times)

3angels

• View Profile
double chocolate cake
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
this has always been a favorite cake can you help with ideas to be able to make it again :(

recipe is
2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, 1 t. vanilla, 2/3 cup oil, 2 T. vinegar, 1/2 t. salt, 2 t. baking soda, 2 cups flour, 1 cup cold water, 1 cup flour and 1 cup cold water. mix in order given. bake @350 for 45 mins in a greased 13x9 pan or 2 round pans

I really hope you can help

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: double chocolate cake
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
reduce sugar to 1 1/2 xylitol,unsweetened cocoa,change flour to soy flour(has same consistency as white flour),add 2 teaspoons of baking powder to soy flour then mix.Other than that your ingredients are fine.

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:41 AM »
awesome ty ty ty I made the adjustments and am definately gonna look for xylitol and soy flour which I havent located as of yet either  :(

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:28 PM »
question for you about soy flour.  maybe you can verify this info for me plz.
reading up on soy found that soy can interfere with thyroid function and also with mineral absorption?  It's uncertain but possible that regular consumption of soy causes brain deterioration and genital defects in boy babies born to mothers with soy heavy diets?  so if that would be the case would there be other options to put in place of soy flour?

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 04:56:49 AM »
Use almond flour?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:47:06 AM »
Beebs is right you can use almond or a nut flour.I have been eating soy for all my life and never had a problem.I have a physical every year.I have several friends that are vegetarians and they eat 10 times the soy I do with no problem.I feed it to my year old grandson.I don't think you are gonna eat enough to be problematic.If you are concerned speak to a doctor.Soy is so good for you it would be a shame to not eat it.If you do speak to your doctor,the soys you are gonna eat on this program are tofu,protein powder,soy potato chips,and soy noodles.Keep me informed on what you find out. :)

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
found the xylitol and picked up some soy flour gonna make it today and will let u know if it tastes how i remember  ;D

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
it smelled chocolatey until i put in the soy flour and the batter has an odd taste but its in the oven now not sure if I would recommend using the soy flour but gonna see what the final outcome is.  ???

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »
so definately dont judge a book by its cover or a batter by its smell lol.  the cake turned out great.  could use a frosting recipe to dress it up a bit.  and not a very chocolaty flavor but, definately flavorable and the baking smell definately smelled chocolaty as the cake got closer to being done baking.

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 09:34:07 PM »
ok so doesnt need frosting either ive decided lol im ok with soy flour now and the cake is actually moist and flavorable  ;D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 12:38:49 AM »
I make a sugar free cream cheese icing for my cakes but I use almond flour cause it has less carbs than soy!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:16:20 PM »
Yeah Success! ;D

3angels

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »
Beebs,
what do you put in your cream cheese icing?  I made this cake again and it was better than the first time actually  ;D and I actually added about 1 cup of sugar free choc chips to it and the kids decided that they wanted this cake for their birthday.  I did ice it with cream cheese icing but I made mine like this:
1 8 oz. cream cheese
2 Tblsp. splenda
and blended in about 1/4 cup of heavy cream
curious tho what your icing is made like?

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »
Well for one scratch the splenda it just adds carbs. I use 3-4 oz cream cheese a couple spoons of butter 3/4 cup heavy cream a spoonful of walden farms marshmallow cream and a dribble of vanilla extract!

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 07:54:38 PM »
thanks beebs, i bought the walden farms marshmallow creme and didn't like it but you gave me a great idea for how to use it!

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2