Author Topic: Pumpkin Loaf By Alex  (Read 12299 times)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pumpkin Loaf By Alex
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
This is an older recipe that doesn't list FTS Zero as the sweetener.  Substitute 24 drops of Zero for the 1/2 cup of xylitol.  Now you can share this with the neighbors without a disclaimer!

shawn116

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »
Now you can share this with the neighbors without a disclaimer!

Awwww that's no fun Andrea  ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
Check out the video section if you love pumpkins, we did a video last year.There are also lots of recipes in the Fat to Skinny Bakery Book.I like to make "sweet potatoes" out of pumpkin for thanksgiving.I also make a mean sweet potatoe pie out of pumpkin. :)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »
OK, I just watched the video... life is good (and getting better)!  I can't wait to make a pumpkin pie... and I might not even wait till Thanksgiving.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »
Thats why fat to skinny works, we have replacements for everything ;)

mdanziger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:41:30 PM »
I notice that this recipe calls for either 1/2 cup of xylitol or 24 drops of zero.  I have a big bag of Stevia in the Raw, that I would want to use up before purchasing either of these other sweetners.  Since it is a powder like the xylitol, can I assume that the amount I would use 1/2 cup of the stevia?  If not, do you have the adjusted amount?  Thanks.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 10:16:42 AM »
I have never used stevia in the raw so my suggestion would be to taste it and make sure its sweet enough before baking ;)

shawn116

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »
Hi mdanziger  This stuff is pretty much the same as the splenda you can buy in the store.  It measures cup for cup like sugar.  Just be aware that it also has as many net carbs as the splenda has.  24 net carbs per cup because of the dextrose and maltodextrin that they mix with it.  I completely understand wanting to use it up before buying anything else, just make sure you account for the carbs when you do  ;)

I copied this from their own web site.  http://www.steviaintherawprofessional.com/stevia101.php 

Dextrose is listed as an ingredient on the Stevia In The Raw single serving packet and maltodextrin is listed on the bulk Baker’s Bag. What are these?

Both dextrose and maltodextrin are natural carbohydrates derived from corn. Described as "bulking agents," they are used to dilute the very potent stevia sweetener to make it measurable for consumers.

mdanziger

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:30 PM »
Thanks.  I guess I assumed that because it was zero sugar and zero calories, that it was zero carbs.  Now I know better.  Think I may be replacing it sooner rather than later.  In the mean time, I will have to account for the additional carbs. 

This may not be the right forum for this question, but as I type this, there is an add for FTS Zero on the page.  I have seen liquid stevia, as well as stevia without the dextrose or maltodextrin in internet searches.  Would those be zero carb?.  I don't put sweetner in my coffee, or on stuff, so I only want it for making recipes like this delicious pumpkin loaf.

shawn116

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »
There is never a bad question around here  :)

I would think as long as it is pure it would be.  Or in the case of the liquid sucralose, most are diluted with water so that we can use it at home because they are so strong.  I would assume that they do the same with the stevia.  It's the fillers like the dextrose or maltodextrin you want to watch for.  I believe they just add that to make it market more like sugar.  Most people don't like change, so if they can market something close to what you are used to using.....you get the idea   :-\    

Everyone is different in their tastes though.....there are a lot of wonderful products out there including FTS Zero.....some folks like to use the stevia because it is considered a natural herb......For me I haven't found one brand of stevia that doesn't have a bitter after taste for me.  Out of all of our members on the forum, I'm betting there are at least a handful of different sweeteners being used.   You just have to find the one that pleases your taste buds  ;) ;)      
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:22:09 PM by TooSweet »