Author Topic: Chicken ala King?  (Read 5658 times)

MommaB

• View Profile
Chicken ala King?
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
Hey Umpa! My husband's favorite all time meal is chicken ala king over rice. I know how to do the cauli/rice, but I'm not sure about the rest...can you help!?!

MommaB

• View Profile
Re: Chicken ala King?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »
Sorry...didn't know that I needed to provide the original recipe so...here it is:

Melt 6 tablespoons of butter. Stir in 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Add 2 cups milk, 1 cup water, and 1 tsp. chicken bouillon all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 min. more. Stir in 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey, one 4 oz. can mushroom stems and pieces, drained, and 1/4 cup chopped pimento. Heat through. Serve over rice, toast points, English muffins, etc.

My biggest question is what do I substitute for the all-purpose flour in this recipe and can I use heavy cream instead of the milk or would that be too thick!?!

Thanks for your help!

owensmath

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »
I'm totally guessing, but I'm thinking that she will trade out the flour (maybe soy/almond mix) and the milk (probably heavy cream).... just guessing... Have you checked on here to see if there is another recipe like that one? I will google and see if I can find a low carb version. I think I made one last year....I'll look around and let you know what I find.   See you in the morning at church, MommaB!

owensmath

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »
Thanks honey...I'll check it out...I did find a similar recipe that you posted on the board last year...but Umpa said she would check it out...and there were no more posts...so I thought I'd revisit and see what I needed to replace those ingredients with!

Thanks again! See you in the morning!! <grin>

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:13:01 AM »
MommaB I would skip the flour, milk and boullion and mix Alfredo Sauce (Classico Mushroom Alfredo, 1 net carb per 1/4 cup) with the Heinz Gravy that Doug suggests in his book.  Just add the water if you need it.  Then add the vegetables & meat.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:06:32 AM by ShihTzuMom1 »

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
Thanks for the idea ShihTzuMom1...but would that cause it to thicken like it's supposed to!?! I love the idea of using the Mushroom Alfredo Sauce and gravy...my only possible issue is that it will be soupier (if that's a word) than it should be...guess i'll just have to try it!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the idea ShihTzuMom1...but would that cause it to thicken like it's supposed to!?! I love the idea of using the Mushroom Alfredo Sauce and gravy...my only possible issue is that it will be soupier (if that's a word) than it should be...guess i'll just have to try it!
I wouldn't think it would be too soupy.  Just don't add any water.  Alfredo sauce is pretty thick and the gravy is already thick, so my guess is it would be ok.  But that is just a guess.  You'll find we do a lot of trial and error, but I do think this would work.

joagain

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »
I was gonna say that it is kinda thick but when I make the alfredo hamburger helper I add about 2oz of shredded cheese when the sauce is hot and stir  and is seems to get thicker .

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
I was gonna say that it is kinda thick but when I make the alfredo hamburger helper I add about 2oz of shredded cheese when the sauce is hot and stir  and is seems to get thicker .

Adding shredded cheese is an excellent way to thicken many dishes.
Just use cheese that is no carb or low carb.

If you shred your own cheese, odds are it's 0 carb.
Always read the nutrition labels!  ;)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
Owensmath i am sorry if i missed converting one of your posts.MommaB the flour in your recipe is not necessary.The alfredo sauce recommended by shihtzumom is the way to go.I use it for all my cream soups and i cut it with heavy cream until I get the desired thickness. ;)

MommaB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:16:23 AM »
Thank you soooo much everyone!!! My husband will be very surprised, I'm sure!!   ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
You are more than welcome! If I can help please ask. :)