Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 4533 times)

authenticblake

New guy here
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »
Hello everyone

I'm Blake, and I have recently read Doug's book, after finding a video of him online so wonderfully illustrating how much sugar is in the food I usually eat.  My story, in brief, follows:

I'm 26 years old, 6'3 and just hit my all time highest weight of 230 pounds.  Because of my height, people tend to think that I am not 'fat', and I am not by many people's standards.  But when you consider that just 3 years ago I weighed 185 pounds, and carried about 10 pounds more muscle mass at that time than I currently do... its safe to say I am carrying about 45 pounds more weight than I need to be. ALL of this excess weight resides in my midsection.  I am not one who puts a lot of stock in weight in general, its much more about how your clothes fit, how healthy you feel, and your height and muscle mass plays a large part as well, but it is a useful tool that gives you a guideline. What I do know is my size 41" waist will no longer fit into the collection of size 32 pants hanging in my closet   :-[

I have done extensive reading on different theories and supposed science regarding how we should eat, what is healthy and what isn't, and something about this just makes sense.  Doug puts his ideas out very plainly where ANYONE can grasp what he is saying.  Seeing the equivalent in terms of table sugar makes me look at every food I eat in different terms.   In the past I had started Atkins, but I quit after 9 days because I did not do enough work to find variety in what I was allowed to eat, and despite losing 14 pounds in those 9 days, I quit.  I'm not a gifted cook.  I  could demolish a kitchen and rebuild it from scratch, but as far as cooking in it, well, I struggle with boiling water. 

A lot of why I am here is because I am not happy with seeing those extra pounds, every time I look in the mirror I think "that's not me, it cant be", but I know that it is. The mirror and the scale don't lie.  But perhaps a more important reason is the impending health problems that are no doubt coming my way if I don't make a change. At 26 I am borderline or stage 1 hypertension depending on the day.  My mom is overweight and has type 2 diabetes as well as high blood pressure, and my dad has the same build as myself, but he has an additional 20 pounds on his frame.   I have shown my mom the book, and she agrees that it all makes sense, and we are both going to give this thing a shot.  I am trying to get her to join the forum for additional support, but she is computer illiterate, so that will take some work.

I usually am just a lurker who reads forums and never joins, but I figured this time I would say hello, and perhaps get some insightful responses, or some level of accountability.  Food has always been my major weakness.  I am hoping I learn some skills from my time spent on this forum and learn how to replace my favorite foods with ones that wont contribute to my waistline. 

Thanks to Doug for writing the book, and I am looking forward to this journey, and trying some of the great sounding meals I have already found discussed here!

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
Re: New guy here
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:07:22 PM »
welcome Blake.... its easy and it works....i'm 49,6'3" and weighed in at a whopping 275 lbs:( god it sucked...... 6 months of FTS and i was down to 188...... and felt like i was 26..... after 9 months im still maintaining my weight...and feeling GREAT:) not only will you lose,but you will never have to worry about gaining it back if you stay low carb forever!!!
      GoOD LuCk :) and dont be a stranger!!!!!!!!

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=169.0

if ya want to check out what i went thru....the above link takes you to the story of...... " FATBOY GONE SKINNY" lol

authenticblake

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:06 PM »
Thanks Gary!

I will read through your story for sure.

Its encouraging to know that at 49 and at a larger starting point you made that much progress in only 6 months. 

Intuitively I know it works, I just have do what it takes and not quit, that will be my biggest challenge.

joagain

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:23:38 PM »
Welcome to FTS Blake ,I am sure you will get into those smaller pants in no time

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »
Welcome Blake!  You will find the people here on the forum are very supportive, but very honest.  They will tell you if you're screwing up, they will tell you how it's done!  But always in a good way -- just very open about what works and what doesn't.  For sure, check out the recipes, there are some amazing ones in the forum.  And ask lots of questions, it will definitely help you out if you need it.  Depending on how much sugar/carbs you used to eat, the first week or two can be a little rough.  Expect to experience detox, for me that was simply a low grade headache that lasted about a week.  But other people can have much worse symptoms.  Stick it out though - it will pass! And afterwards you will feel fantastic!! ;D  
  Have a great ride with this - we are all here if you need us!
Jen

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
Welcome Blake!!  I also welcome your mom and hope she can find her way here to the forum also.  It is a great way to find the support you need for the highs and lows of the FTS journey.  For sure it is so much easier when you have someone cheering you on along the way.  ;D  Jen is right.... stick it out through the detox and you will feel awesome!!  You don't have to get fancy or be a great chef to eat low carb.  Many of the recipes are very easy and can be made in the microwave.  Also I might add....your mom will feel so much better when her blood sugar levels out  by what she is eating and maybe even can come off of her meds ( if she is taking them  ;) ) Like I did.  My sugar was way out of control before I found FTS regardless of the three meds including insulin that I was taking.  Now it is in the normal range as if I no longer have the disease.  You are definitely off to a great start already just by being here  ;D ;D   There are a lot of great people here, we are all here for eachother .....good luck on your journey and good luck to your mom as well  ;)  Don't be a stranger  ;D

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
Hi Blake!  Welcome to the forum!  You will really enjoy getting to know all the wonderful people here!  I sure hope you mom will get on here too.  The recipes are awesome!  I think you will be amazed once you try some of them.  Hang on through detox, and you will be on your way!!   Glad you found us!!!   ;D

authenticblake

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
Hey thanks everybody for the warm welcome  :)

I never even considered having detox symptoms, but in reality health-wise I usually feel pretty crappy most days (due to being so out of shape, and my incredibly poor food choices in general), so hopefully I won't notice any detox symptoms! and things will just get better...  but regardless, I'm ready.

As for my mom she is on meds for the BP and she takes Insulin. Her doctor has told her that if she would lose the weight, she could probably get off of ALL the meds, and definitely the insulin.  My dad unfortunately is critical of her for the weight, and doesn't know how to be very supportive in her struggle to lose the weight.  I told her that I would find a way of eating where we could both lose weight, if she would be the one to do the cooking or teach me how to.  So, this is where we are.  Again I am trying to get her to join here, but I will have to teach her how to use everything.  As long as she cooks for me it sounds like a fair trade!   8)

My idea is to have about 5 or 6 meals that are my 'go-to meals', that are simple to prepare and that are within the carb limits... and each day, my mom and I will try to make one new recipe from either the book or the forum, and if we like it we can add it to the mix.  Like I said earlier, my lack of kitchen skills and lack of variety ended my previous trial of low carb, even though significant fat loss was there... I hope to eliminate those hindrances this time.

Thanks to all of you who have said hello!  I am glad there is a support system here for those of us who have a common goal, and I hope in a few short months I am one of those success stories, preaching to the world how to give up sugar and get their body (or health) back!

Rena

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 12:45:24 AM »
Welcome, Blake!

Jeannie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »
Welcome Blake! You won't be sorry you have found this new way of life.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »
Welcome Blake....don't worry big guy, we've got your back. When you need more recipes click the obnoxious blinking text above  :o and download the FAT TO SKINNY Low Carb Low Sugar Cookbook.........tons of recipes and pictures.

Soon you'll be back into your 32's.....I went from a 48 to a 32 and at 54 years old feel great!  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:36 AM »
Welcome authenticblake! i am Umpa ,dougs wife , and your new best friend :D I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where i can convert your favorite food to fat to skinny friendly.I can replace anything.Thats what we do here.If you don't take away your favorite foods ,just replace them then there are no foods to add back to make you gain weight back.It takes you off the roller coaster. ;)
If i can help you or your family please ask.Enjoy the forum!! :)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Here's to a new skinny you Blake! ;D. Everyone here is wonderful and honest just like Jen said.  Ask lots of questions and post your meals someone will be here to help you and your mom.  The forum has tons of recipes and advice enjoy!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
Welcome Blake!