Author Topic: Can artificial sweetners create a "LAXATIVE" effect???  (Read 1838 times)

bigjim1963

• View Profile
    • Email
Can artificial sweetners create a "LAXATIVE" effect???
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
for the last 5 days ive been in & out of the bathroom....i usually go to dunkin donuts everyday and have an iced coffee w/ creamer and equal sweetner!!!! after goin today, i hardly made it home after drinking the iced coffee...ive been taking it since june 1st, is it possible that now its causing a laxative effect on my body? if its not the "equal", than i will need to see the doctor...it could be stress too!!! I HAVE NO IDEA!!! God bless, bigjim

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can artificial sweetners create a "LAXATIVE" effect???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
Hi Jim.  I love baking with xylitol, but I do have to be careful not to eat too much at once.  It definitely can have that effect in my case anyway.  I just figured I am weird like that.  Now I did learn pretty quick not to EVER overdo it on the Russell Stover candy....  Owensmath warned me, but I had to find out the hard way!  ha ha   :-[  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:10:13 PM by Maddysmom »

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:26 PM »
sugar alcohols most definitely have that effect.. It even states it in some products that use it.. Im not sure about
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
I would think it might be the coffee. Chicory root is in some coffees (I think) and it can help move things along  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »
Hi Jim, :)

I'm assuming that your problem started when you began drinking iced coffee with "Equal" sweetener 5 (or 6) days ago.
If that is the case, try going a day or two without one, or the other, or both and see what happens.

Caffeine in coffee is a stimulant.
And sweeteners (like "Equal") are known to get the bowels moving (sometimes too much).
What you do today is what matters!