Author Topic: The facts about Xylitol  (Read 3370 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
The facts about Xylitol
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
Xylitol is actually a 5-carbon natural sugar alcohol known more specifically as a polyalcohol (polyol) and has been in use since the 1960's. Unlike synthetic sweeteners such as sorbitol, lactitol, mannitol, maltitol, xylitol boosts a natural flavour and has no after-taste. This natural sweetener also claims to facilitate weight loss as it has 40 percent fewer calories than sugar. Because of its low glycemic index value of only 7, this sugar alcohol has become a popular choice with diabetics or people with hypoglycemia. It has minimal effect on blood sugar levels and does not require insulin to metabolize. this sugar substitute is commercially produced through the hydrogenation of wood sugar (zylose) derived from the xylan hemicellulose polymer found in hardwoods, corn husks, birch trees, oats, nut shells, etc. The one Umpa and I use comes from 100% birchwood

Like most sugar alcohols, it can produce a mild laxative effect at high doses. According to a study conducted in 1977, consuming 1.4 ounces of the sugar alcohol per day will cause diarrhoea in many subjects. Its manufacturer declared that in doses of larger than 15 grams, which is approximately 3 teaspoons. Sherri and I have had no problems with the brand we use.

Yes it's natural, yes it's a sugar alcohol, yes overconsumption can cause a gaseous effect, yes I'll continue to use and promote it's use  :)

I hope this clears up the mystery :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

beebs

• View Profile
Re: The facts about Xylitol
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »
Doug you are like uber smart. Instead of Bill Nigh the Science guy. Your like Doug the diet guy.....or somethin........

bevxx

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
 ;D i have purchased a xylitol sweetner and it says on info that it has 100g of carbs per 100g of product but it goes into a great list of what it does not contain..e.g added sugar, starch, etc..i was wondering have i been conned ..xx

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
bev does it also list sugar alcohols you subtract those from carbs should end up a zero
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

bevxx

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
it does not..i don't think they put sugar alcohols on anything here...its called zylosweet..the only thing in it is xylitol...i was going to put some in a trifle..

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »
Your okay Bev.I went and found the nutritional info.Its 100% xylitol.

bevxx

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »
thanks..i wonder why they don't include sugar alcohol content in our food choices...xx