Author Topic: My first week weighin!  (Read 57004 times)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My first week weighin!
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »
I had a less severe reaction to the same med, recommended by the same doctor.  I didn't get weak but I was red and burning and itchy.  So much for slow release.

freeinHim

« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
About 8 years ago, I accidentally took too much niacin, by taking a multi on top of a B-vitamin.  My reaction was shorter lived, but when it hit, it felt like I was on fire as well.  All of my skin turned beet red and my skin down to my fingertips tingled.  It was scary!  It passed after what felt like half an hour, but once we figured out what had happened, I made sure that I didn't make the same mistake again!  I sure hope that hot flashes aren't like that!  ;D

Marty

« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
Ah, hot flashes! THAT I can relate to! Never had one that sent me to the ER, but they're 'interesting'! I always thought I'd comiserate with my mom about hot flashes, but my dad had prostate cancer and was given hormone shots - HE had hot flashes, Mom never did! Dad and I kept little personal fans handy. ;D

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »
Is it a prescription or over the counter?
  SloNiacin is now available over the counter, it used to be prescription only.  It was very scary, probably more so because it woke me up and I had no idea what was going on.  Never felt like that before though!  Like I said, don't think I'll be doing niacin again!  In ANY form!

shawn116

« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2012, 07:39:56 PM »
I think I will remember to stay away myself  :o  Too scary  :-\

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
We take non flush niacin everyday ;) Hot flashes are no big deal,I call them power surges.I cure mine with hops! One beer takes them away. :D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
Having experienced both "niacin burn" and  hot flashes, I'll take a hot flash any day. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
Me too ;)

shawn116

« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
Hot flashes aren't so bad, but alcohol always seemes to bring them on full force for me...LOL  It doesn't seem to matter if it's in a beer or not  :-\ 

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2012, 11:24:22 AM »
Hi all!  Back from vacation in the deep south!  Didn't do great, I'll be honest - up 2.3#.  Back to square one for me.  I'll be shopping today so I can get back on track and get through detox again.  And, TMI for some I apologize, my digestive tract does NOT travel well, guessing I'll lose some of that once it starts working again!  :o  It's definitely interesting to travel through some of these VERY rural areas; is it just me or does the obesity issues seem to be worse there?  I also drank (way) too much one night out with my sister.  Remembered why I don't do that anymore  ;D ;D   All in all, it was awesome to see my sister and my parents, I miss having them nearby already.  And I got to go to the beach! :)  I'm not a big water person, don't like to be in or out on it; but I love to be near it.  Hope everyone is doing well; it will take me a bit to get through all the posts.  Happy Sunday!

shawn116

« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
Hey Jen  welcome back and glad you enjoyed yourself!!   ;D  You'll be through detox before you know it  ;)

joagain

« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »
hey Jen glad you are back . jump right back on

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »
Hey Jo, I have a friend - a bit complicated, but her friend's son is 14 with Type 1.  He's in the hospital right now because his pump stopped working and he got very messed up I guess.  But she was telling me today that his sugar routinely runs over 300!  And he eats everything/ anything because he just uses his pump if his sugar is too high?  Any suggestions from you/ Tyler that she might be able to pass on to the mom?  She's super worried, but not real sure how to approach her about it.  I showed her your post of Tyler with pics and that his A1C was at 6.1.  She was very impressed by him, especially that he is doing so well by his own choices.  Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.  :)

joagain

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2012, 05:57:37 AM »
Hey Jen  Copy and paste this and send this to her and give her my email if she wants it .
First tell her I am so sorry and second tell her to take him off the pump !!!!!!!
We have never faltered and given in to the pump ,every child that has had problems and even passed away that I have read about has been on the pump ! Not that it is not happened on the shots . We use the flex pens , that pump is a green light for Type 1 Diabetics to eat whatever they want and they can not they need to be eating low carb & healthy 75-90 % !! He does have treat days but his sugar is high and he feels like crap so they are getting fewer & fewer .
 Tyler has been diabetic for 6 years and I followed the advide from the docs for 2 years then I started researching low carb that is when his A1C went down from 9 to 6-6.1 . Every 3 months that we went to the doctor she would push the pump and say he would have better control on his BS . I told her we did not want the pump & after 2 years we started doing low carb and now she says that whatever yall or doing keep doing (no more telling us to get the pump )  I know that it is not the pump that gives you better control it is low carb /healthy eating .
I do not believe that teens or responsible enough to be in charge of a pump that is responsible for keeping them alive ! When they are babies and their mothers are in control it is different . What teens do is go eat blizzards & pizzas that are very high carb set their pumps up with a huge dose of insulin to coer what they eat then  if they  dont get enough insulin their  sugar will be to high and if they get too much insulin then they may not wake up !!!!

Even now on the shots when Tyler eats something high carb that he shoild not eat ,his sugar goes up and the insulin does not cover the high even though he took alot ,then 2 hours later his blood sugar goes low and makes him feel like crap .
Jen I could go on and on tell her to email me if she wants to just put diaetes in the subject or your name so  know it is her . because I could go on & on . . Also tell her I am so sorry that he is not well ,she must take control !!!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
You are very cool Jo :-*