Author Topic: My Dad's "diabetic, low-carb" diet in the hospital  (Read 2632 times)

Tammystein

• View Profile
My Dad's "diabetic, low-carb" diet in the hospital
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:01 PM »
Hi, everyone
I'm new here, and have just recently been eating low-carb.  I wanted to share the "diabetic" breakfast my Dad was served in the hospital last week, following a heart-attack (he's fine and back home now!):  one whole bagel, one cup of oatmeal, 4 ounces of orange juice, and EggBeaters.
My Mom and I could not believe it!!!   She's been low-carb for years, so will be modifying his diet on her own.  It is mind-boggling that the cardiac unit in a hospital believes that bagels, orange juice, mashed potatos, rolls, etc. are "low-carb".

Tammy

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
Re: My Dad's "diabetic, low-carb" diet in the hospital
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »
is this not sad . I read a article the other day on Dr Davis blog where a guy that preforms the gastric bypass said he follows the low carb lifestyle( grain free sugar free )
But he could not tell all the folks coming because that was the way he and his friends/other doctors  in the office makes their  money . He was just writing to tell him he agreed with him and after the surgeries ,it is pretty much the diet they tell them to eat anyway .
My sons Diabetic Doctor actually asked my son why he ate low carb when all he has to do is give more insulin or get a pump . It is all so very sad that it is all about the dollar

Glad your dad is doing well! Now keep him well on low carb !! also welcome to you

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
Hi Tammy and welcome to the forum!  That is shocking to know that hospitals are serving meals like that.  I have a friend who is diabetic and her physician advises her to eat 45-60 carbs PER MEAL.   I just don't get it.   :(

So glad you are here!  You will love the support from all the wonderful folks here.  Joagain is awesome!!   She has a fantastic sugar free brownie recipe that she makes for her son.  You gotta try it.   ;)

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:41 AM »
That literally blows my mind.  :o

I am glad your Dad is home! Hope he is feeling better!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:32:46 AM »
Dieticians!  I know one and she said my low carb diet is okay because it was for "medical reasons!"  My hypothyroidism combined with low fat, whole grains was the problem.  FTS fixed that for me.  Keep up the good fight everyone!

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
It is amazing how rampant misinformation is... even among health professionals.  BTW, welcome to FTS Tammy.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Tammy!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

My doctor also believed that low carb wasn't the answer.
He believed that lowering fat and refined sugar intake (along with exercise) was the only way to go.

But after seeing me lose so much weight and become so much healthier, he changed his mind!
He now "prescribes" low carb (20 or less/day) to his patients that need it.

There is BIG money behind the "hidden sugar" industry and big pharma.
Sadly, that influence has permeated our health professionals' community.
But the truth about carbs, slowly but surely, is getting around. :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
Welcome Tammy! I am Umpa,Dougs wife.  :) The biggest argument I ever saw my husband in was when he was in the hospital and 20 year old nutritionist named Mitzy(who bounced as she talked) was explaining to my husband how he should eat , low fat and high carb. Sugar and flour is fine ,fat is bad.By the time my husband was done with her she ran out! :D I am surprised how many medical people don't know anything about nutrition.(and how many smoke) But anyway welcome to the forum if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. Glad your day is ok ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:42:02 PM »
Welcome Tammy...glad your Dad's OK. A bunch of idiots control ADA but then again they keep their sailboat payments made by patients who are never cured and continue to require medication due to their diets! Type 1 diabetics like Jo's son are a perfect example how even someone with the "true" disease can cut way back on insulin if they practice carb control.  Have your Dad read FTS, it'll do him a world of good  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)