Author Topic: Prejudice  (Read 4815 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Prejudice
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:14:09 AM »
You know what really gets me mad, people who discount you as not worth the effort because you carry a few extra pounds.

I try never to judge a person by their looks (to the point that if you ask me what they look like I couldn't tell you but can tell you what they are like and how they made me feel), but it was pointed out to me by a person's sister that her brother wouldn't be interested in me because I was overweight.   Hmm, having never met the man, let alone wanting to go out with him, I found it extremely annoying to say the least.  Apparently he has a number of medical issues himself, yet never having met me he judges me. 

Why do people do that?  Pre judge.  I have always thought of the person on the inside was of more importance than the outside packaging.  Am I of the minority? 

I never gave it much thought but I have thought back in my experiences and come up with a number of instances where both men and women would not go out with the opposite/same (gay rights and all) sex because of physical looks.  Especially young men - many who I have heard say 'oh she's too fat' yet the poor girl is only a size 12/14 with curves and not a thin stick.   I realise we all have an ideal, but in doing that you discount a lot of wonderful people that may be right for you.  You don't need to marry them or even date them, just don't discount them.

Apparently this has obviously stuck a nerve and a need to vent.  Thanks for listening.

shawn116

Re: Prejudice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
Always here to listen Morgan.  It strikes a nerve for me too.  I always look at it as a way to weed out the people I want to have around me  ;D  Their charactor is far uglier than any extra pounds I may have.  The difference is.....I can change....they are still ugly inside.   So sad these people that are like that...how they miss out on wonderful things in life by being judgmental without knowing.  Like the old saying goes....don't judge a book by its cover  ;D  Their loss  :D

fineman

• I am truely blessed!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:08 PM »
Morgan, Now you know who your real friends are. You are  on your way to becoming a very slim person. You are anyway a beautiful person. Dont let anything affect you. Your happiness should not depend on the approval or views of anyone else. Even Miss universe will have some people not liking her. You know yourself. You love yourself.
And we all here love you!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Prejudice
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:03:28 PM »
You can lose weight ugly is forever. :D

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Morgan, I totally understand.  The SAME thing has happened to me.  As a matter of fact, when I first started dating my husband (we were in our early twenties), one of his brothers told him he shouldn't date me because I was overweight.  Phil and I have been married 26 years now, but that still BURNS in my memory.  I remember telling Phil that if HE felt the same way as his brother, he could just head on up the road right then!! ....wasn't kidding either.

I just don't get some people.  I am a very forgiving person....but at family get togethers, this little incident still pops in my mind sometimes.  Some hurts just go too deep to forget.   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »
Same thing happened to me.One of dougs brothers and his wife told doug"You don't marry the fat chick". Didn't matter to Doug,he loved me for who I was.Never bothered him ;) You can't allow people to effect you,they have no power. ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:31:12 AM by Doug Varrieur »

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
Wow Umpa! So glad you shared that too!  I am so very thankful for the wonderful men in our lives who loved us for who we were.  ....and just think...if they had listened to their brothers, they would have missed out on a blessing!!  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
Soulmates mean you love someone for who they are in the inside, outside is adjustable and changes constantly.Inside is who you are in your heart and soul and that never changes.I adore my husband and he adores me and I wouldn't settle for anything less :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
People that shallow are not worth your time, Morgan.

It's VERY disrespectful pointing out another person's PERCEIVED shortcomings.
That's the ultimate in being judgmental toward a fellow human being.

Some of the finest people I've ever known were overweight.
The reading on the scale is no way related to the quality of the person.

What's really sad is when this happens with a future in-law family member.
But if you use this in a positive way, it can serve as a reminder to help stay the course.

Forgiveness frees the person offended... While the offender is still in chains!

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:11:54 AM »
I agree 1000% Tony! ;)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
Wow!!  Y'all make me feel so strong!  I too am incredibly grateful to have an amazing man who met me at my heaviest and loved me regardless. He's seen me at my heaviest, at my lightest, at my least healthy and most healthy.  And ultimately, he's supported me no matter what.  I've seen the prejudice that we get as heavy women.  The one that stuck in my head...when I was at my lightest many years ago (and bulimic fyi) I was a fabulous 145, size 10.  Some guys I worked with were in the breakroom laughing at personal ads in the newspaper.  The one they pointed out was a 5'4" (my height) 145#; comment being wow what a cow!  Needless to say, I stood up and asked them if I looked like a cow (knowing that 2 of them had been flirting with me for months)...Of course the answer was no and then I informed them that I was those numbers as well and they could never be so lucky to find a woman who looked that good!!  They were umm... very quiet after that lol  ;D ;D  I think truly, there's such a dismorphic concept of weight too - all women must weigh under 125 or they must be fat!  All men must weigh 180... I'm not sure where these concepts come from.  But I'm glad we are here to say I weight more than that and I'm sexy!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
I dont know where doctors get these numbers either ??? I think as people we know what weight we feel good at and can maintain :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
I dont know where doctors get these numbers either ??? I think as people we know what weight we feel good at and can maintain :)

My guess is the same place they got that stupid (and inaccurate) BMI scale. >:(

These numbers assume the "one size fits all" philosophy.
Doctors should know better... I guess they forget that they're scientists too!

It seems when a group of so-called "experts" come to agreement on something, then society accepts it as "truth".
Haven't experts been wrong before?... In my 60 years on this planet, I've lost count of how many times!

BTW Jen, you're blessed to have a man that truly loves you.
God bless the both of you! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Ann B

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 10:25:51 PM »
This nonsense can start toward the very young. As a toddler I was rounder than my siblings and my silly father gave me stupid nicknames, Fatty Annie, Annie Fanny, Chub, etc. Perhaps it's a blessing I can no longer remember them all at this moment.
Finally around age 10 or 11 I complained to my mom and she made me go tell my dad (then age 31-32) that it hurt my feelings.  He stopped, but the look of shock on his face was priceless.
Still never stopped him from making snide remarks about others size as though that was a measure of the value and character.
Caught him on it once again in a gathering including non-family members when he was making remarks of a cousin's recent second husband's size (I've never met) who is tall and hefty...at the time she married him. She's always been a very short, normal weight person.
Her first husband was normal body weight when she married, but also an alcoholic who developed the beer gut.
Anyway, I said to my dad, "So, does being fat make him a bad person?"
Again, shocked into silence.
Remember, these comments are not about us/the fat person, but the poor character of the person who makes the idiotic remarks.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
One of my favorites bands is jupiter coyote. my favorite song goes like this,"pick your words and pick them sweet you never know which ones you have to eat"   :)