Author Topic: Howdy from TX!  (Read 2931 times)

AliciaInTX

Howdy from TX!
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »

Hey guys!

How are you all doing? Life has been BUSY so I haven't visited the forum as much as I used to. I'm happily hanging in there with my FTS-friendly lifestyle and enjoying being active again (without worrying how I look doing so!). This way of eating/living has given me a confidence in myself that I never had before. Losing the weight and finding out that I actually havethe willpower to stick with a new way of eating has been a life-changer for me.

Anyway...with that said, I'm having a rough time with the hot summer weather! Pool parties, bbqs....all the chips, fruit and cold drinks (beer!) look SO good and are all such a social part of summer. I would love some picnic-bbq-poolside munchy/drink ideas. Maybe you could do a summer recipe contest or something??

Happy Summer ya'll!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Howdy from TX!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »
Hi Alicia, nice to here from you :) Crystal Light is a good choice, also the sugar free syrups mixed with seltzer water make great drinks. LOTS of ice cold strawberries, cold celery sticks with ranch dressing dip, deviled eggs and BBQ. Make your own BBQ sauce, the rest is easy :) My fav BBQ sauce is very simple;

1 bottle Heinz reduced sugar ketsup mixed with 1 bottle  sauce San-J's Szechuan sauce.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
Hi Alicia! Just got back from Austin.My daughter just graduated from UT. Love the contest idea! Your son is getting so big! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
Hi, Alicia! :)

You've been missed around here!

Potato salad seems to be at every BBQ.
A great replacement is replacing the potatoes with cauliflower or turnips.
Either of those tastes FAR better than potatoes. To me, potatoes taste like starchy dirt! :P

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

AliciaInTX

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
You guys are awesome. :) Thank you!

I LOVE the idea of making "potato salad" with turnips, Tony! I'm totally trying that. :)  Thank you for the bbq sauce recipe, too, Doug!

Umpa - you were here when it was NICE out! This week every day is over 90'. I wish we could have the 80's back!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »
Hi Alicia - glad to know you doing well  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:51 AM »
The hicama potatoe salad is also wonderful ,just follow my directions how to get it soft.You have lots of hicama in Texas ;)

AliciaInTX

Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »
Thanks,  Morgan!  Nice to see you!

Thanks,  Umpa! I'll try it that way, too!