Author Topic: La Tortillas into crackers/chips  (Read 4413 times)

downeast

• View Profile
La Tortillas into crackers/chips
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:14:46 PM »
To all you clever people who have mentioned cutting La Tortillas into wedges and baking them in the oven to get chips/crackers:  What do you do?
Put the wedges on a cookie sheet - do you spray the sheet?
What heat for the oven?
How long in the oven?

For me to make a round trip to a store that carries La Tortillas involves 4 hours of driving, so I don't want to waste any precious tortillas by experimenting.

Many thanks.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: La Tortillas into crackers/chips
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »
Why drive 4 hours?- http://www.netrition.com/low_carb_tortillas_page.html
To order 10 packages of tortillas ($33) and ship to Canada the shipping would cost $28.15 plus whatever customs are added at the border.
Of course I don't make a special 4 hour trip just to buy a bag of tortillas, but I still want to be careful with them and not waste them.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

joagain

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I oil mine on both sides and salt them then I stick them in the oven for like 2-5 minutes you have to watch them . I guess you can cut them first I just made me and my son one and we just broke it into pieces !!

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »
Ah, thanks joagain. What temperature for the oven?

joagain

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »
Oh I forgot sorry i think I had it preheat on 325 just watch them cause it  goes fast and also I used Canola oil . They kinda bubble up but that is the best part I would think that if you cut them first the probably would not bubble . I hope you enjoy them

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:48 AM »
Ahhh Canada :) here you go, maybe this will help- http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=132_215&sort=2a&page=2
Downeast I love the Low Carb Grocery!!  Look over their site and see if there are more things that you would like to order to make the $7.99 shipping worth while.  If you order over $100 shipping is free.  They have almost everything that is mentioned on this forum.  I just keep a list of what I would like to try and what I have used and am running low on and put in a large order all at once.  They are very quick with their shipping.  They ship by Canada Post.  I live in a small town so I have to pick up my order at the post office, but it is usually the very next day.

Bella

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
I set the oven on 350...using a basting brush  dipped in oil, brush both sides liberally then I sprinkle with garlic and onion granular ( being partial to savory as opposed to sweet) then I cut them into 1/4-1/2 inch strips and lay on cookie sheet...bake for 10 min but I do watch them so they don't get too brown..I found if I don't bake them long enough they don't get real crisp and I do love the crispness...there are quite a few things you can sprinkle them with..different " Mrs. Dash " flavors  or a sweetener mixed with cinnamon...when cooled I store them in a zip lock bag ready for a crunchy snack attack :o

ausgirl

• Keep the faith, stay the course, spread the word
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »
Downeast, I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but I'm in Ontario.  I am not close to the low carb store in Markham, but have ordered them online - they are fantastic!

I sent them an email about something and I got talking with the girl there and when I said I wished the store was closer (I'm in Brantford), she told me my local Nutrition House is stocking some of their stuff - kind of like an outlet.  I went there yesterday and they do have quite a good range.  Try doing that and see if they can tell you where there is a store closer to you.  They are very, very helpful.

Having said that, I was thinking of making "pita crisps", like I used to in the bad old days, using the low carb tortilla's instead.  I used to brush them with a mixture of olive oil and crushed garlic and toast on one side, flip it over and sprinkle some shredded parmesan on the one side and cook again.  They were so good, I couldn't keep up with the demand (from my kids!).

Try that, they are yummy - in fact, I'm going to do that myself!
Ausgirl

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 07:48:39 AM »
Ausgirl I saw that you mentioned that the Low Carb Grocery now has items at your local Nutrition House in Brantford.  The last time I looked at the locations on their website they only had 2 places listed as LCG Express.  After I saw your post I went back to the Low Carb Grocery site and was so excited to see that they now have a Low Carb Grocery Express at the Nutrition House at Pen Centre in St. Catharines.  There are a few other locations as well.   Thanks for the heads up!  http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/storelocator.php?cPath=132

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 08:46:59 AM »
I never thought of doing this. I am going to try it with one of my low carb pitas and make nachos. Thanks again guys!!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

ausgirl

• Keep the faith, stay the course, spread the word
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:31 AM »
Ausgirl I saw that you mentioned that the Low Carb Grocery now has items at your local Nutrition House in Brantford.  The last time I looked at the locations on their website they only had 2 places listed as LCG Express.  After I saw your post I went back to the Low Carb Grocery site and was so excited to see that they now have a Low Carb Grocery Express at the Nutrition House at Pen Centre in St. Catharines.  There are a few other locations as well.   Thanks for the heads up!  http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/storelocator.php?cPath=132

You're welcome ShihTzuMom1!
Ausgirl