Author Topic: Soluble or insoluble fiber  (Read 2368 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Soluble or insoluble fiber
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »
What's the difference between Soluble and Insoluble Fiber and is it calculated differently when subtracting from carb count?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Soluble or insoluble fiber
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
Hi Sarah! :)

All fiber is fiber and is deducted from the total carb count (along with sugar alcohols, if any) to give net carbs.

Soluble fiber dissolves in water.
Insoluble fiber does not.

Soluble fiber attracts water and becomes like a gel that slows down digestion to provide a "full feeling".
It also helps block absorption cholesterol which will aid in lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) in the blood.
Plus being like a gel, has a lubricating effect in the digestive tract.
Sources of this fiber include strawberries, seeds, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, blueberries, cucumbers, and celery.

Since I eat so much protein (which digests slowly), I take Metamucil capsules each day that contain soluble fiber.

Insoluble fiber does not absorb water and travels through the digestive tract intact.
It speeds up digestion. It also helps "clean" the digestive tract and helps prevent constipation.
Sources of this type of fiber are in seed skins, nut skins, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers,
green beans, dark leafy vegetables, and root vegetable skins.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:14:50 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »
All fiber is fiber and is deducted from the total carb count (along with sugar, if any) to give net carbs.
Thank you, Mouseissue! Are you saying "sugar" or 'sugar alcohol' here?

owensmath

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
I am sure he meant to type sugar alcohols.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
Hi Sarah! :)

Owensmath is correct, sugar alcohols are also deducted from total carbs.
Sugars are not.
What you do today is what matters!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
Good! I thought so, but thought I'd better check so I won't be more confused that I am already! Thanks for your help!

Labels are not reliable! It seems like every place you get nutrition data has different numbers for the same products! I don't CARE which one is right, I just want to USE the one that's right!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:33:04 AM »
sarah when labels don't make sense to me  I look at the ingredient lists.If the first 5 ingredients are high carb I don't buy it ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
It's a lot to keep track of. Take sunflower seeds - I found carb counts from 5 grams per cup to 16 grams per cup. Read an article that said some companies subtract the fiber before they report the carbs, so you don't know who's doing what. I went to government nutrition data, fitday and nutritiondata.self and they're all different yet. I always take the highest number to be on the safe side, but it's frustrating and irritating not to be able to find consistent numbers. I WANT sunflower seeds to be 5 grams so I can eat more of katary's sunflower seed crackers! I call them Katary Krackers and have to hide them because I want to eat the whole batch at once! That man comes up with some buyah recipes!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
I love Katarys videos he is too cute!Just use dougs carb counter and ignore the rest ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
I have Doug's carb counter. Guess I got online when I couldn't find Jicama in the book and started looking around.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
If you find something that is not in the book let us know so we can update the file  ;)