Author Topic: tomato sauce (ketchup)  (Read 5916 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
tomato sauce (ketchup)
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:22:33 AM »
hi umpa -I really miss tomatoes (I have made allowances for them in my carb count) and tomato sauce and as a pasta sauce base.  Is there a sugarfree recipe for tomato sauce you may have hidden somewhere?  I can post my t/s recipe to u but, as you would know, it has a lot of sugar, apples and of course those naughty sinful tomatoes.  Can you help?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: tomato sauce (ketchup)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »
There are plenty of low carb pasta sauces.The marinaras are always the lowest.Marinaras run about 2-4 carbs a serving.The key with red sauce is to measure it.You can also cut the carbs in half by doing a pink sauce.Half alfredo and half marinara.Dougs alfredo is zero carbs.
You can make your own throw a large  tomato ,teaspoon italian seasoning,teaspoon olive oil,salt and pepper to taste into a blender.Blend.Put in saucepan and cook down until thick.Add a couple drops Zero and you have pizza sauce ;)
You don't need to add onions and peppers to the sauce it only adds carbs. ;)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
I made a zucchini pizza last night using sugar-free catsup mixed with Italian seasoning and a little water. I was going to slice the zuch in half lengthwise and put the toppings on it, but the zucchini was ugly so I sliced it up into little circles, layered it in a pan and put it in the oven for a few minutes, then put the jazzed up catsup, mozzerella cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms and peppers on it and put it back into the oven until the cheese got all gooey. Satisfied that pizza craving.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
Good Idea Sarah ;) You should try the cauli pizza too very good. :)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:31:09 AM »
I intended to do the cauli-crust pizza last night, but the zucchini was on its last leg so I used it instead. I have trouble using up all the fresh vegetables that I buy. I'm going to have to buy smaller quantities. I have this reluctance to go to the store, so when I do, I tend to load up - then have to throw too much out. Our ONE grocery store in town rips us off with prices, so most of us wait until we go to 'town' to shop. I'll have to start giving them some of my business. sigh

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
Hi Morgan! :)

I'm a tomato lover too!

For a side, I'll often take an Italian (Roma) tomato, slice it up on a small plate,
add salt and pepper, then top with about 1 TBSP of real, whole mayonnaise.

A typical Roma tomato is only 2 net carbs (and the mayo is zero)! ;D
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 02:24:49 AM »
Thanks umpa - I don't know why I didn't think to do just that.  Talk about stating the obvious.
You like yours as a sidedish mouseissue.  I would eat them just like fruit (like they are).  Used to keep
them in the fruit bowl.  Now that I have to be aware of the extra carbs - I keep them in the pantry and buy only about 2-3 at a time    :'(

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
My favorite salad is caprese.Like Tony says you slice romas and top with basil and fresh mozzerella and olive oil.Salt and pepper and yummy! If I can help you just ask morgan ;)

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:55:52 PM »
And if you love tomato sandwiches, you can use the recipe for Izzet's focaccia style bread and it is close to zero carbs. It was amazing when I had a "legal" tomato sandwich for the first time! 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
And if you love tomato sandwiches, you can use the recipe for Izzet's focaccia style bread and it is close to zero carbs. It was amazing when I had a "legal" tomato sandwich for the first time! 

Now add bacon and some lettuce!
Viola!... You've got a delish BLT sandwich!
I will often add a few slices of avocado to kick it up another notch! ;D
What you do today is what matters!

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »
Victoria brand four cheese sauce and vodka sauce lists 2 net carbs per half cup.On sale
 this week at Stop and Shop for$2.99!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 03:54:59 AM »
oh  Drooooooolllll - BLT with advocado - Guess what's for lunch tomorrow.  I just discovered OMM recipe and to turn it into 2 slices bread.  Does popping it in the toaster work ok? So it has a bit more crunch.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 09:18:19 AM »
Yesm you can toast it.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 05:58:55 AM »