Author Topic: Flax, Sunflower, Cheddar Crackers  (Read 5089 times)

downeast

• View Profile
Flax, Sunflower, Cheddar Crackers
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
It has been a year since I posted a recipe for Golden Flax Crackers. Here is the newest version as it has evolved in the meantime.

Flax, Sunflower, Cheddar  crackers
1 cup chopped sunflower seeds, (roasted, unsalted)  3 carbs
1 cup golden flax meal  0 carbs
1/2 cup (or more) shredded old cheddar cheese  0 carbs
almost 1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 425.
Chop seeds with S blade of food processor. Mix flax and seeds in a bowl. Add cheese and fluff up to coat cheese with dry ingredients so it doesn't clump together. Add water bit by bit, stirring each time. Don't let it get too wet or it will burn, just enough water to make a dough. Line a 12” x 17” cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Put half the dough towards one end of cookie sheet. Cover with another piece of parchment and squish down, then roll flat. Get it into the corners and all the way to the edges. Try to get it even thickness, not thin at the edge and thick in the middle. Then do the other half, blending the two halves together in the middle. When it's all nice and thin and even, score with a sharp knife into large crackers. I do 3x4 which makes 12 crackers about 4x4 inches.
Bake 10 minutes at 425. Cut the score marks again to separate, and cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container,   separating layers with paper towels.  
3 carbs for 12 large crackers

VERY IMPORTANT: These crackers are wonderful right out of the oven, once they are cool. After that they go a bit less crispy so, right before eating,  I pop them in the toaster for 1 minute and 15 sec to crisp them up again. I use them instead of bread for open-face sandwiches, and I like them better than OMM or wraps. I love the toasty flavour and crispy texture, and find them much more palatable than GG! Also much lower carbs than GG, if you can find the right seeds.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:43:06 AM by downeast »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Flax, Sunflower, Cheddar Crackers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
Wow! They sound great! :) :) :)

Are you sure that 1 cup of roasted sunflower seeds has only 3 net carbs?
The lowest ones I've found are 2 per dry weight ounce (about 1/4 cup).
What you do today is what matters!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
Are you sure that 1 cup of roasted sunflower seeds has only 3 net carbs?
The lowest ones I've found are 2 per dry weight ounce (about 1/4 cup).
I bought some in bulk and all the online info I can find says 15-19 net carbs per cup.

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:23:34 AM »
I use Stock and Barrel roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds, available at President's Choice stores in Ontario, Canada. The label says 7 gm carbs, 6 gm fibre per 1/3 cup, so 1 net carb per 1/3 cup. There was a big discussion about this in November 2010 when Katary posted a recipe on the thread Katary Bakery's Sunflower Seed Crackers. At that time CaliGirl phoned David's Seeds and they admitted that their label was wrong, showing net carbs with the fibre already subtracted, so fibre shouldn't be subtracted again. However, Katary was using Kroger seeds which claim 4 net carbs per cup. Here in Canada, Stock and Barrel is the lowest for carbs.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
I am making these today.Mine are 4 per cup also. ;)