Author Topic: Katary Bakery Sunflower Seed Crackers  (Read 39747 times)

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
Re: Katary Bakery Sunflower Seed Crackers
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
Cheese shell sounds good too, I was hoping for something crunchy though.

Chalupas? Do you have a chalupa recipe? If not, I've got a low carb bagel recipe I haven't tried yet, but I'm thinking they could be made flatter and folded after baking. Umpa -- you're the McGyver!!
Jeremiah 29:11-14

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
Beebs - if you have 1 cup of flax meal and craving crackers, maybe try this one -  http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/flaxcrackers.htm

Wow!... These look great too!
Another great recipe to try!... Thanks Caligirl!  :)

I bet adding a couple of tablespoons of caraway (rye) seeds (2 net carbs) to this recipe would be a nice flavor variation. Kind of a rye cracker twist!  ;)
What you do today is what matters!

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »
Caligirl, great job on the veg recipes, I am having a hard time finding anything that is not too high in carbs without soy :-\

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »
I'm confused about the carb count for the sunflower seeds in the original recipe on page one of this thread. It says 1 cup shelled seeds = 4 carbs. I can't find anything near that on the net.
Bob's Red Mill raw shelled 1 cup = 16 carbs
NOW shelled unsalted 3Tbsp = 2 carbs, so 1 cup = 10.6 carbs
caloriecounter.com says 1 cup shelled = 16.6 carbs
The only figure that comes close is 1 cup WITH shells = 5.2 carbs, but I'm sure Katary isn't putting shells in his crackers! Though, it would bring up the fibre count!
Has anyone figured out where these low-carb sunflower seeds can be found?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:39:54 PM by downeast »

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 03:54:49 AM »
Caligirl, great job on the veg recipes, I am having a hard time finding anything that is not too high in carbs without soy :-\

Aw, thanks Paula, I'm trying. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time finding viable low carb veg recipes too, yet I am glad to hear you say that! I thought it was just me, and I wasn't trying hard enough. I'm struggling. Are you also finding that a meal-sized serving of most vegetarian foods quickly exceeds the entire 20 carbohydrates? This may help you with a veg-based meal - large, raw vegetable salad, however even that can use a major portion of your total daily allowance for carbohydrates. I'm finding I get more vegetables if I eat them raw than cooked. Some have up to 50% more carbs cooked. There is never a zero carb meal for me, so I try to stretch the allowed 20 as far as possible and eating raw helps. Using Miracle Noodles helps fill in when using cooked vegetables or if you want something warm. Reducing sugar in the diet is definitely the way to eat for health and weight loss, just a bit more of a challenge when it is 100% plant based. It's such a blessing not to be doing this alone and learning from you and the others in this community. 

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 04:09:29 AM »
You're welcome Mouseissue - I really like rye also, I think your idea sounds wonderful, I do miss toasted rye bread and Triscuit Deli Rye crackers. I bet this would do it!  

A local health food store sells flax crackers made with pickle juice and dill weed if you're into that kind of thing. They were interesting. Please let us know how the rye turns out if you make them.

I can see who my fellow "snackers" and "grazers" are!!

BTW - How is your wife feeling? I pray they've adjusted her thyroid levels. The fatigue from thyroid problems can be so overwhelming.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:12:31 AM by CaliGirl »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 09:08:48 AM »
That will work owensmath! I actually saw a pan at Ross for baked taco shells but i wasn't sure if  the low carb tortillas would crisp.I did however buy the pan to make the doughnuts for the cookbook for beebs. :D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »
awwww!!!  :D Donuts for beebs?

CaliGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
Donuts and Biscotti?  :P  OMGosh . . . . the Bakery Book is going to be amazing!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
... BTW - How is your wife feeling? I pray they've adjusted her thyroid levels. The fatigue from thyroid problems can be so overwhelming.

My wife is doing well!
Thank you so much for asking!  :) :) :)

Her gynecologist thought she heard an irregularity in her heart beat back in late September and sent her to a cardiologist for testing.
The cardiologist ran a couple of tests and found her heart was fine. In fact, very strong and healthy.  ;D ;D ;D

Her gynecologist then referred her to a bariatric (obesity issues) doctor that put her on a modified low carb diet along with mega doses of vitamin D2 and a homeopathic drug that speeds up metabolism and suppresses appetite.

She is allowed 50 to 75 grams of net carbs per day and a maximum 1200 calories per day with an emphasis on protein.
She most often stays well below 50 carb grams a day. But often eats more than 1200 calories a day.

What's weird is that this doctor counts 5 net carb grams (rather than 4) as 1 teaspoon of sugar.
So far (about 3 weeks), she has lost 15 pounds and is doing great.

Since she is on a "modified" low carb routine, we can eat (and usually avoid high carb) the same foods.
So when I cook up an tasty low carb dinner, we share the pleasure! ;D ;D

However, there are a few foods in the pantry that are "forbidden" on F2S (like small Mars candy treats).
She only eats a couple of these candies on any given day and does not eat other high carb foods most of the time.
If I tried this... BOOM!!! Back to sugar detox! And I say, "NO WAY!" to that!!!
What you do today is what matters!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »
So happy to hear your wife is doing well Mouseissue and may she continue to get better.

joagain

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »
Glad your wife is feelig better & losing weight ! Yes stay away from the mars bars ,we have some Paydays for the trick or treaters which I use to love but NO WAY !

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
Mouseissue i am glad your wife is doing better!
Downeast amazon.com -pumpkin seeds or any grocery store or walmart has Davids sunflower Seeds one carb per 1/4 cup.
Yes Beebs, tommorow is doughnut day for the bakery book :D Just for you my friend!

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 07:20:01 AM »
Drool.

downeast

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
Thanks, Umpa, for the info about David's Sunflower Seeds. Here in Canada we can't order from amazon.com. From what I see of inquiries on internet boards it seems David's brand is not available here. I wonder what David's does to the seeds to make them 1/4 the carbs of every other brand.