Author Topic: Countdown to Holiday  (Read 3072 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Countdown to Holiday
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
Well family, sometime ago I mentioned I was going on a cruise and suggestions to keep me on the straight and narrow.  Well I'm down to 7 sleeps now. Was excited, then not, excited, not, excited, not, back to excited. (Flight to Thailand, 3 days there, then an 18 day cruise on the Diamond Princess back to Australia).

Still concerned about staying true.  At times I can be really strong - at home in my own environment - no problem.  Out in the real world - weelllllllllllll?  Taking my little carb count book and will still be tallying as I go. 

Unfortunately I got bad news regarding my job. More than likely hours are going to be cut down all over to accommodate new nursing staff.  Most of the current staff are casuals so we will be the ones more than likely to have our hours cut.  Why are these things always before Christmas?  Nothing is definite at this stage.  It's not what I need to be thinking when I go on holiday - that I won't have a job when I get back  :(  So I am concerned with this frame of mind and unlimited food.

Oh well that's life and it will all work out the way it's supposed to in the end I'm sure.

Helpful suggestions welcome   :D

shawn116

Re: Countdown to Holiday
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »
Wow what an awesome holiday at that!!  I suggest going and having a wonderful time.  You have all the FTS rules and know what to avoid already.....You'll probably hear a little voice telling you what not to eat...LOL  If you do slip a bit just dust yourself off and get right back to it and move on.   ;D ;D    I have all faith that you will do well Morgan. 

As for the job...I sure hate to hear that.  I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.   When one door closes one also opens.  I'll be sending prayers that all will be well.   :D 

Now go and have a fantastic time!!!!  I'll be living vicariously through you my dear  ;) ;)  Pictures we need pictures!!  LOL

kerryC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 09:01:27 PM »
WOW!  Your holiday sounds splendiferous!  (Envious muchly ;) )
As a "newbie", Id say just try to be strong and if you "slip up" on a meal, just get back to eating FTS for the next one...  There should be a great choice of yumminess that you CAN have on that cruise ship  :)

Im so sorry to hear about your job, as TooSweet has said and I to believe, everything happens for a reason.. and I also believe life never throws things at us that we cant handle, its just your attitude to it that helps you through.
WHY they cut any type of staff back in the medical profession is beyond me.  You need everyone to make it "gel".  ::)
Been through that to, it always works out in the end.  Sounds to me like it could be an exciting new year ahead for you, embrace it!

Have a wonderful holiday!!!!!  ;D
(PS... healthy body=healthy mind=able to cope with whatever comes your way)

scottinflorida

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:31:03 AM »
Morgan, look at it this way - while you're out on that cruise, two facts are true:

1.  While on the ship, you have zero control over what happens with your employment.  Worrying about it doesn't help, and it robs you of the enjoyment you are entitled to on this vacation.

2.  While on the ship, you have complete authority and control over what you eat.  Only you can determine the outcome.  Take pleasure in that control and knowing that you are doing it the right way.

What would keep me on track is saying, "Ok guys, when I come back I'm going to post here in the forum a list of what my carb count total was for each day of the 18 days".  That would keep me from going back for another burger or a plateful of cookies or something.  That's just what would work for me anyway.

So have a great time and show us a picture or two when you get back!

Scott

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:51:24 PM »
Hi Morgan! :)

Going on vacation can be challenging.
Just follow the wonderful advice you've received, and you'll do just fine!
And remember if you do slip, FTS will still be there to help get you back on track.

My wife and I understand how you must feel about your employment situation.
But there's one thing I've noticed over my lifetime, every time I was laid off, the next job that came along paid more and was usually more fulfilling. The same has been true for my wife.

In fact, my wife's current position at work will be eliminated on (or before) March 31, 2013.
The other day, she interviewed with another employer, and yesterday, was invited back for a second interview.
If she gets this job, which she likely will, she'll be making $20,000 more per year with better benefits!!! :)

Life's too short for worry... Worrying NEVER reaped benefits for ANYONE!
So hang in there and enjoy your vacation! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
What a wonderful trip to look forward to.  Look to the bright side of all that food.  There are sooo many choices that you'll have no trouble finding enough wonderful things to have.  Cruise ship staff are really focused on making the passengers happy.  Ask for small changes and you'll do great!

Remember, a craving lasts 5 seconds.  Count it out and you'll be ready to enjoy what you do choose.

And, eating extra carbs on a vacation is not the end of the world. 

HAVE A GREAT TIME!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
i tell my kids all the time Morgan you can't control the world but you can control the 8 feet around you ;) You are gonna do great ! Enjoy your beautiful holiday and take the pressure off.  8)