Author Topic: Baked Bacon  (Read 5293 times)

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
Baked Bacon
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
“BAKED” Bacon

Maybe you all know about "bakun" your bacon, but I have never tried it.  Figured it couldn’t be any messier than frying on stove top or on an electric griddle.  Wow!  No bacon grease on the countertop, backsplash, window, stove top or floor to clean up!  I baked enough bacon for: tomorrow’s chicken/bacon/ranch pizza; DH's favorite BLT dip, and several breakfasts (will freeze).   A real time saver for me…

Directions:

Temperature:  400.  One method says to put bacon in a cold oven, another says to preheat to 400.  I did both – the only difference I found was it cooked quicker with preheating…

Foil - Crumple/wad-up foil and then unfold the foil so it is wavy, then put on baking sheet and arrange the bacon on it. This gives the fat somewhere to go so the bacon isn't sitting in the fat as it cooks. This method also shapes the bacon while bakun.

Close oven door and come back 17 to 20 minutes later. As soon as the bacon is golden brown, but not excessively crisp, it's done. The exact time will depend on the thickness of the bacon slices, your preference to crispness, and also on how quickly your oven reaches the target temperature.
Remove the pan from the oven. Transfer the bacon to another sheet pan lined with paper towels to absorb the fat.

Tips:

Keep your eye on the bacon during the final few minutes of cooking to make sure that it doesn't burn. Also, remove the cooked bacon from the hot pan right away. The heat from the pan and the hot bacon fat will continue cooking the bacon.

You can slightly undercook the bacon, then cool it and freeze it in a zip bag. Then, to reheat, cook two slices in the microwave on medium power for 30 seconds or so.

Happy Bakun  ;D  ;D  ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Baked Bacon
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 05:50:55 PM »
OK I'll give it up.......you're cool  8) Can't wait to try it....never thought of it and being a chef that brings a smile to my face....well done!  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

joagain

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
Doug I am shocked ! :o :o LOL   Romarc I have always baked mine but I have not ever heard about the foil thing ,will for sure do that the next time I bake it ! . Cause it is swimming in the grease when I get it out of the oven !! 

We are all just so smart on this FTS Forum !!!!!!! ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:44:16 PM »
That's great, romarc! :) :) :)

Like Jo, I've baked it before (without the crumpled foil) and the bacon was super greasy.
I'll try this next time I bake bacon.

If I do this very often, I have a run our oven's self-cleaning mode more often.
But that sure beats cleaning up grease all around the stove and surrounding area every time! ;)

Hmm... I imagine using a broiler rack would also do it.
It should. I know it works on the BBQ!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:47:18 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 09:21:09 PM »
I just microwave mine. I wonder how different baked would be.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
I just microwave mine. I wonder how different baked would be.

Hi Rena! :)

I've found that MW bacon tends to be a little rubbery and the flavor seems to lose a little something.
Baking it is every bit as good as frying. But much less messy.
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:10:28 AM »
Doug cook his on the grill too mouseissue! Great minds think alike! i love this idea Romarc! Great idea when the house is full of company and you don't want to be tied to the stove!(especially with 2 year old running the house) :)