Author Topic: Impossible pie?  (Read 3110 times)

AliciaInTX

Impossible pie?
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Oooh! This looks like it should be doable! What do you think, Umpa? Can you work your magic?

Impossible Pie

All the ingredients are mixed together and poured into a pie tin, but when it cooks it forms its own crust with filling This has a coconut vanilla taste like a coconut cream pie

Ingredients

2 cups milk
1 cup shredded coconut
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
8 Tablespoon butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions
Place milk, coconut, eggs, vanilla, flour, butter and sugar in blender. Mix well.
Pour into a greased and floured pie plate. Sprinkle nutmeg on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Impossible pie?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:35 AM »
Hi Alicia, this is actually already in the FAT TO SKINNY Sugar Free Bakery Book on page 349. It's one of my favorite recipes for coconut cream pie!

Umpa's FAT TO SKINNY Coconut Cream Pie
Ingredients
    one 9" baked, cooled, coconut pie shell (recipe in this section)
   24 drops FAT TO SKINNY ZERO sweetener
   1 ½ teaspoon Xantham gum
   ½ teaspoon salt
   1 cup unsweetened coconut milk(can use unsweetened almond milk)
   2 cups heavy whipping cream
   3 beaten egg yolks
   1 tablespoon  butter
   ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
   2 teaspoon coconut emulsion (or extract)
   Whipped cream (garnish)
   1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Directions
1.   Combine Xantham gum and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2.   Gradually stir in heavy whipping cream, ZERO and coconut milk.
3.   Pour mixture into a saucepan and cook slowly over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
4.   Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat.
5.   Place egg yolks in your mixing bowl and whisk
6.   While whisking slowly add ½ of the heated mixture being careful not to curdle eggs.
7.   Stir egg mixture back into pot and add emulsion.
8.   Place pot back onto stove over medium high heat and bring back to a boil stirring constantly for 1 minute.
9.   Remove from heat.
10.   Stir in vanilla, and butter.
11.   Add 3/4 cup coconut. Mix well.
12.   Pour immediately into pie shell.
13.   Chill thoroughly until firm in center.
14.   Top with whipped cream when ready to serve.
15.   Toast remaining ¼ cup of coconut to a golden brown in your toaster oven on a cookie sheet and sprinkle over pie.

Umpa's FAT TO SKINNY Coconut Crust
Ingredients
   1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, or use the reserved coconut from your coconut ice cream.
   1 egg
   3 drops FAT TO SKINNY ZERO sweetener

Directions
1.   Spray pie pan with non stick spray.
2.   Preheat oven to 375.
3.   Combine coconut with one egg and ZERO or ¼ cup of egg whites and mix well.
4.   Press into bottom of pie plate and bake for 20-25minutes or until golden brown.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

AliciaInTX

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
Thanks, Doug! I have the bakery book and I LOVE it! :)  This recipe looks super good....I just was attracted to the ease of the impossible pie recipe....that it creates it's own crust as it bakes, so you don't have so many steps and so many ingredients. I'm wondering if I could make something similar on an individual scale. Maybe a "personal impossible pie" that I could throw together for myself when I'm craving something sweet. :)  I love all of the recipes in the bakery book but since I'm the only one eating FTS in our house, I don't tend to make the pies or cakes....I make cookies, that I freeze and take out one or two at a time...but I don't have a large freezer and I don't want the temptation of having large amounts of goodies. I have made the coconut cake in the bakery book (which I love!!!) and quartered the recipe and baked it in a small individual loaf pan and that worked out well. 

Anyway....I was just looking for something that would be super quick and easy to make and the Impossible Pie looked like it might fit the bill. ;)  I can play around with the ingredients myself and see what I can come up with using almond flour and heavy cream and Zero.  Do you add more "fillers" when you substitute Zero for sugar, Doug, to make the recipe work? It seems like the sugar would take up so much more space...

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
I am making Nutella,pumpkin bread  today.I already make toosweets pecans and they are awesome! I will look at this recipe next Alicia. ;)