Author Topic: holiday desserts  (Read 3758 times)

mhilts22

• View Profile
    • Email
holiday desserts
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:17 PM »
Good Evening Umpa!!!

Got a good one for you...with the holidays coming up we have an Italian favorite for dessert. Ice box cake.  I know we can use sugar free pudding and heavy cream but was wondering about the graham crackers used with it. I thought you had a graham cracker crust in the bakery book; i need to look again as the fog sets in on occasions. LOL

Here is the recipe for you to see; it is a family favorite!!!!

1 box instant chocolate pudding (if you like you can use chocolate pudding you cook; I like the instant its faster)

1 box instant vanilla pudding

graham crackers---you can use chocolate ones if you like

1 pint heavy cream----made into whipped cream

Make both pudding as per directions on the box. (Need to substitute Milk--half and half maybe?)

Pour heavy cream in bowl and add tsp of vanilla and whip

use 13x9 pan and line with graham crackers, the pour chocolate or vanilla pudding on top. Then top with graham crackers pour other pudding on top. Crush graham crackers and sprinkle on top. Refrigerate for at least 2-4 hours. Serve with whipped cream on top.

we love this recipe...please help!!! Love you!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: holiday desserts
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »
You can use my graham cracker crust out of the Fat to Skinny Bakery book.Sugar free pudding is high, my memory is 24 carbs per box.If you want to use that use unsweetened almond milk,coconut or soy(all unsweetened).This recipe will be about 55 carbs !Doesnt sound low does it? I would use my graham cracker crust (7 carbs) and my chocolate ice cream recipe from the Fat to Skinny Bakery book.It sets up in the fridge nice and thick like pudding before it goes in the ice cream maker and can be used as pudding.Substitute vanilla for chocolate.3 cups of my pudding mix will be 18  carbs for a total of 26 carbs for the whole cake and Robs mom will never know! :D

mhilts22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
 Thanks I will try that!!! Sounds even better that way!!   ;)

NoellBlue1

• Happy to be alive :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »
Sounds good :)
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: holiday desserts
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:26 AM »
It will be good! Never met a pudding I didnt like:D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
Maury, Umpa's custard ice cream recipe makes a wonderful pudding prior to freezing in the ice cream freezer.  I would sub the ice cream mix for the instant pudding. Here's the vanilla recipe, Umpa can chime in with the chocolate.

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (3 net carbs for entire recipe!)

Ingredients

   2 cups heavy cream
   1 cup unsweetened  vanilla almond milk
      24 drops FAT TO SKINNY Zero Sweetener  
   1/8th teaspoon salt
   3 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
   2 large eggs

Directions

1.   Combine heavy cream, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, sweetener, and salt in a heavy saucepan.
2.   Scrape seeds from vanilla beans with tip of a knife into cream mixture then drop in the pods.
3.   Heat cream mixture just to a boil and remove from heat.
4.   Whisk eggs in a large bowl, then add hot cream mixture in a slow stream, whisking quickly so you don’t curdle your eggs.
5.   Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and registers 170°F on thermometer.
6.   Pour custard through a strainer into a metal bowl and let cool on counter before placing into fridge.
7.   Cover and chill in fridge for at least 5 hours.
8.   Take out of fridge stir well and pour in Ice cream maker.
9.   Process  per your ice cream machine directions to desired thickness.
10.   If your ice cream is thick enough you can serve it now, if not place in the freezer in a freezer proof container.

TIP- Vanilla beans can be replaced with 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract added at the same time the beans would have been added. If you freeze your ice cream to a hard freeze in your freezer be sure to let ice cream soften a bit on counter before serving to enjoy a creamy consistency.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)