Author Topic: Scared  (Read 9199 times)

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Scared
« on: November 29, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
  Hey guys.  So I'm not really sure what to say or how to say it.  I went to the doctor today to get checked out because I had chest pain Thanksgiving day, bad enough to make me think I should get it checked, not bad enough at the time to be more than just somewhat worried.  Well, apparently I had a cardiac infarction - that would be doctor talk for a minor heart attack.  WTH?! 
  I'm scared, I'm kinda mad, I'm frustrated.  I've been busting it since March, I've lost almost 40 lbs, I've lowered my cholesterol by 61 points, I'm not prediabetic anymore.  I'm fricking 36 years old!!  And I had a heart attack?! On Thanksgiving day?!
  I don't even know where to go from here.  I have tests scheduled all week; I have a follow up appt with my doc in 2 weeks.  Thanks for letting me vent. 

shawn116

Re: Scared
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »
Wow Jen that is horrible  :(  I am so sorry you are having to deal with that... I know you must be worried.   Just know that we are all here and my thoughts are with you.....  Hope you feel better soon

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:55:41 AM »
Goodness Jen!!!! I know you must be scared.  I remember at 28 having a routine pap and finding out that I was "borderline" cancer.  Had an eight year old, just married for the 2nd time, thinking I was going to trap my new husband into raising my son alone, etc, etc. 

The good news for you is that you LISTENED to your body and you are on the way to finding out what might be wrong.  A lot of women ignore chest and back pains that are warning signs.  Bless you for going to the doctor! 

Thoughts will be with you!!
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:41 AM »
Oh, I am SO sorry to hear this.  :-\  So thankful you did go to the doctor and didn't ignore the pain.  The pain was a warning sign, and I am sure your doctors will get to the bottom of the problem.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Please keep us posted!  Your FTS family cares about YOU!!!! 

joagain

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
Jen I will be thinking about you . A heart attack that takes me out is my greatest fear . Please keep us updated .

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »
All will be well you are on top of it.When you are overweight for many years it does a lot of damage.You are doing everything right ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:24 AM »
Hi Jen, this morning I have my arms around you. I know exactly how you feel for the same thing happened to me. Years of high Triglycerides (over 400) caused my blockage and my heart episode even though when I had the episode they had been well in check (66) for over 2 years. The truth is the plaque caused by high Triglycerides (blood fat) is the type of plaque that hangs out inside your arterial walls forever. It hardens inside the walls and is the cause of the term, "hardening of the arteries" In my experience the hard plaque started to soften and swell causing a closure inside my LAD "left anterior descending artery" I was told by my cardiologist that stress is a major cause for this type of plaque to suddenly soften and swell.  At the time I was building a house and yes... there was plenty of stress...Thanksgiving dinners also cause stress  :o By the way stress doesn't need to be negative stress...it can also be positive stress. You may be having a good time but your body still may be stressed. The LAD is an artery which flows blood into the front of the heart through a series small branches and capillaries. It's only the size of a bic pen insert....very small, so it really doesn't take much to create a 95% blockage which is what I had. The symptoms which convinced me to go to the hospital started with strong "heart burn" and a pain in my neck.

I don't want you to be scared Jen. You've acted on your symptoms quickly and are now in the hands of the doctors. Believe me when I tell you this, the medical community has come light years dealing with this kind of stuff and they really consider much of it routine. My best advice for you is to stay as calm as possible, keep yourself educated on your particular issue and make certain you have the best of the best cardiologist. 

Most people don't realize that any doctor can hang a shingle out front calling themselves a cardiologist....even if they have no special training! The only group of doctors who actually specialize in cardiology are doctors who are members of the Cardiology Fellowship. Here's a link to one of the schools participating in the program- http://cvmedicine.stanford.edu/education/gen_fellowships/

It's going to be OK Jen, please click here and download this article I wrote to read the rest of my heart story

A Divine Mission Ordered By GOD, the spiritual story of Doug Varrieur CLICK-  https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3sXvdQ0GtPynWH

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »

Most people don't realize that any doctor can hang a shingle out front calling themselves a cardiologist....even if they have no special training!

Doug is so right!!  My husband says "what do they call the person who finishes last in their class at medical school?, they still call him doctor!"
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »
Hello Jen,

Your FTS family has given you wonderful support and advice about this condition.
And like Doug advised, do not become overly alarmed (stressed) as that could just make matters worse.

I know you're scared.
I'm rooting for you and know you WILL be just fine! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Thoughts & prayers ...

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:36:12 PM »
Jen- hang in there.I am also sending my prayers for you.

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
Keeping you in my prayers.

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:02 PM »
Thank you all for your words, thoughts and prayers.  It IS scary - Doug, I kinda figured that I probably had plaque built up from my cholesterol being so high and some maybe broke loose.  I ended up in the ER tonight again with chest pain up into my neck.  They didn't find anything specific causing it; at least it wasn't another heart attack!  I have to say, I was very impressed by the protocol in place in the ER for chest pain.  In under 10 minutes they had me in a room, drawing blood, running EKG, baby aspirin and hooking me up to a monitor.  I have an echocardiogram on Friday and a stress test next Tuesday.  Hopefully we can get some useful information.  Trying very hard to not let stress get worse - I have had a super high stress job up until Thanksgiving, then it starts tapering off some. Probably any combination of issues; just got to figure out what and how to take care of it.

Thanks again y'all!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Jen the EKG won't show anything out of the ordinary UNLESS you're having an episode while the machine is taping. A nuclear stress test is a great route and I'm glad to see you have one scheduled. Don't be surprised when they find a blockage and you need a stent.....don't worry, it's a relatively simple procedure done all the time.  A stent is a wire mesh "conduit" installed into the clogged artery at the point of the clog. It opens it wide open.

Check out this link for more info- http://www.smart-heart-living.com/cardiac-stent.html
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jess

• Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to :>
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:53 AM »
Trust God to take care of ALL of your needs Jen.  Praying for you  :)
Let go and let God