Author Topic: Checking in...having issues!!!  (Read 3762 times)

eliruthy

• View Profile
Checking in...having issues!!!
« on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
Hello all!  So, here's the deal.  Even though I've lost 35 pounds (well, i HAD lost 35 but have gained 4 over the last weekish), I'm still having problems trying to get off my blood pressure medicine.  I attributed this to the sodium levels I was eating on FTS.  SO----I decided to switch eating plans to something similarly low carb (besides some extra fruit/protein powder) but NO SALT and tons of cranberry water etc.. (FAT FLUSH SMOOTHIE SHAKEDOWN is what I went on)  I stayed on it full force about 5 days, and my bp plummeted and I was able to half my dose of bp med successfully.  HOWEVER, I only lost the two pounds I had gained from CHEATING on FTS...and it took a full 5 days to do that.  S0---to my issue.  The other plan was not satisfying to my taste buds, NOR was it possible to eat out on it hardly b/c you can't even have salad dressing etc.  After 5 days of salads and chicken, I went off of it BIG TIME and since I got a big fat pumpkin cheesecake for my birthday---well, you know the rest. 

So, Now i'm up 4 pounds, very upset about it, but don't know what to do next.  If i have ANY hopes of getting off the bp med (which i was putting after a bad pregnancy)  I need to find a way to live FTS but be able to cut the sodium down DRAMATICALLY.  Any suggestions?!?! 

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Re: Checking in...having issues!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »
Where are you getting all the sodium from? With FTS we are eating healthy, not prepackaged foods so the sodium is relatively low. Are you drinking a lot of diet soda??
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

eliruthy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »
I guess I'm getting it from cheeses, prepackaged turkey breast (0 carb), low carb burgers from Hardees---probably the most comes from general meat I guess....I'm probalby not eating a TON----but, compared to a diet that won't let you have ANY at all---it's alot right?  No, very rarely have diet soda.

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
I would stay away from the packaged meat and nuts etc... ::) Also any canned veggies....you would be surprised at how much sodium is in there  :-\   It took me a while to come off of my bp meds but I finally got it.  Drink lots of water to flush as well.  Maybe start logging your food intake into one of those sites that tracks the nutritional stuff like Everyday health.  You will be able to see where it is coming from then and can adjust accordingly. 

Remember one of the best parts about FTS is that you can stick with it anywhere you go and not starve in the process  ;) 

The sodium may not be the issue here... maybe your body just needs that little bit of help??  Have you talked with your doc about it?  :)

eliruthy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »
Yes, I forgot about the nuts I eat too!  I'd say you are right about the bp med, EXCEPT----I was put on 1/2 pill b/c it was supposed to be a very good (way too much $ even with insurance) med with zero side effects.  SO, I have knocked it down to 1/4 of a pill, which if you SAW it looks like something that fell off a piece of bread LOL----and I've managed to keep it low, and TOO low on the other plan...like 89/59...too low for me.  I think STRESS plays a HUGE role in my bp---but I think that WEIGHT and SALT and LACK OF ExERCiSE play a huge role too...and since I've lost the weight, and my bp is pretty stable, it seems dumb to me to have to keep taking 1/4 pill---ya know?  About to get mental on you now LOL, but, another problem i'm having is that ever since my last (and I mean LAST) pg, i've become OCD with the bp cuff.  I had to be during the pregnancy to stay safe, but now, i'm taking it 3+ times/day.  And if I get a higher than normal reading, I freak out and it just goes higher and higher!!!  I think finding a way to get off the med and manage bp like i USED TO BE over two years ago----would help me all around.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
I agree with Shawn, eliruthy! :)

Stay away from prepackaged meats, salted nuts, etc.. They're super high in salt.

And you're right about stress... It will raise your BP without a doubt!
Freaking out will only contribute to the problem.
So relax and eat healthy... You'll do fine and get off those meds too! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »
Fresh foods and veggies have no salt as you know so it's time to start cooking :) I would also add a daily walk into my routine to relieve stress and get some light exercise.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »
In my house I don't cook with salt because we have family members that have issues with it.Its only put on food at the table.With fresh meats ,fruits and veggies there is no salt.The best way to flush your body is lemonade.My mother has kidney disease and this is the only thing that works.She says lemonade is 1000% better than cranberry. ;) Some health problems are just in our DNA and sometimes we need help. ;)

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Have you checked to see if your BP med is on the Wal Mart $4/$10 list?  I get mine for a 90 day supply for $10.  It might be something that you won't be able to come off of, be sure to check with your doctor.  He might could even change you to a less expensive drug. 

eliruthy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
That's the tricky part.  I have DUMB insurance and they FORCE me to do mail order where i get 90/time.  If i TRY to get it at a regular pharmacy more than 3 times per med *LIKE TOTAL* I get charged a CRAPLOAD.  It's dumb.  I haven't been to the doctor b/c I HATE GOING LOL!!!!!!!  I have white coat syndrome---bad---so it's almost pointless to go in for blood pressure LOL! 

I have ALOT of work to do getting myself back on track and figuring out what to do.  I have to start exercising b/c it will ONLY help with my blood pressue.  This time of year is soooooooo hectic.  I am going to hope for keeping my weight STABLE at this point---it's all i can hope for till the holiday season is OVA!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »
But Eliruthy you can go to the doctor and show off your weight loss ! :D

eliruthy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »
LOL!  The first thing i thought of when you typed that was Doug's HIV story!!! :o :o :o :o

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 03:26:07 PM »
The nice thing about the Wal Mart program is that it is not submitted to your insurance.  If your doctor writes you prescription you just fill it at Wal Mart and don't submit to insurance if it is a drug on the program.  Not all drugs are included and so Wal Mart submits those to my insurance drug provider. 

I know what you mean about "white coat syndrome"  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
Amber's right, eliruthy! :)

Just ask the Walmart pharmacist to charge you the store price without submitting to insurance.
As long as you have a prescription, they won't mind.
What you do today is what matters!

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
also when cooking the fresh veggies, use DASH... I tend to retain a lot of fluids... so I try not to use salt... best of luck.. oh yeah, walking actually does help you BP as well...
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt