Author Topic: Flax Cookies  (Read 11124 times)

Rena

Flax Cookies
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »
I was going to try making the UMPADOODLES using flax, but I came up with this instead. It's similar to the Spice Cookies in the bakery book, except this recipe uses flax, so the carbs are a lot lower. In fact, when I type it up on a recipe calculator, I'm coming up with -1.7 carbs per serving. Keep in mind I made a very small batch because I didn't know if it would turn out.

FLAX COOKIES

1-1/2 cups flaxmeal (I used golden)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup sweetener (I used Splenda with Fiber)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flaxmeal, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat margarine and sweetener until blended. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and blend well. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet. (I use parchment paper). Press down with tines of a fork. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Makes 24 one-inch cookies.

I calculated it to be just about 80 calories for 2 small cookies. And like I said, when I entered it online, it's showing a negative carb count. As for how they taste, they remind me of oatmeal cookies. The flaxmeal gives them that texture and the cinnamon really stands out. I like them and will definitely make them again. I love almonds, but am not crazy about almond flour for some reason. I use flax for a lot of things, so this is something I always have around the house. Works for me! :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:50:18 PM by Rena »

joagain

Re: Flax Cookies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
Well sister if it works for you then it works . They look yummy do your kids eat them ?

Rena

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
Neil said, "Maybe later. I haven't eaten lunch yet."   :D :D :D

Nathan often likes my low-carb stuff. He even eats sugar-free syrup on his waffles or pancakes if we don't have the other kind. He's more willing to try new things. Rick came in and grabbed a bunch before disappearing. I can hear him downstairs, so they obviously didn't kill him. Ha!

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »
They really do look good Rena!  I love the flax myself and try and use that whenever I can to keep the carb count down....gonna try these soon  ;)  Thanks for sharing

Rena

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »
By the way, the first batch I tried "dropping from a rounded teaspoon", but that didn't work. They didn't flatten out. I just crunched them down with a fork. Then I decided to try rolling them and then flattening with a fork. They look much better that way, although they're still "not much to look at". I think they'd go good with a nice cold glass of almond milk or some tea. :)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:20:55 PM »
Rena I wonder if you could use a cookie press/gun??  I just got one before Christmas and am dieing to try it again...LOL  It worked great with Jo's sugar cookie recipe.  What do you think?  is the dough easy to work with or gooy and sticky?

Rena

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
You could try. It is pretty sticky though. You might want to up it to 2 cups flax. Let me know if it works. :)

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
will do  :)  

Rena

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:05:24 PM »
Also, I only put in 1/2 cup sweetener. Others might like to add a little more. To me, flax has a sweetness to it already, so these are fine the way they are. I just had 2 of them with some chai green tea. :)

I seriously wish raisins weren't so high carb because those would be awesome! Is there something like raisins? Blueberries are lower in carb, but everything that's dried seems to have a higher count.

shawn116

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
Yea I agree it would be nice to find something to sub for raisins  :-\   I'm afraid dried blue berries would just taste like dried blue berries...LOL  Never thought I would miss a raisin  ;D

Thanks for the tip.....I'll start with 1/2 sweet and taste it as I go.  I'm starting to get to where I don't like things so icky sweet   :P  who would have thunk it??

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
I used a gun for my sugar blossoms in the Bakery Book TooSweet. ;)  ;)Rena Choclate and flax were made for each other.Add a little sugarfree cocoa and prepare to get happy!

Rena

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »
I used a gun for my sugar blossoms in the Bakery Book TooSweet. ;)  ;)Rena Choclate and flax were made for each other.Add a little sugarfree cocoa and prepare to get happy!

Yeah, I was just thinking that, Sherri. I was also thinking these would be awesome dipped in melted chocolate and then stuck in the fridge so it would harden. I might make them like that next time. But hey ... even Rick likes these! He's not crazy about the Beanit Butter cookies because he thinks they're too dry, but he did like these. Covered in chocolate would be even better, I'm thinking.

joagain

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Yall are killing me with all the sweets . I just made 2 pans of brownies  stuck them in the freezer for a bit then put ice cream on them and put one on top of the other .

Will put a pic later !!
I am going to try the flax cookies and see I always make half a batch so I dont waste my stuff to see if I like it

Rena

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »
Good luck with it, Jo. I used golden flaxmeal, but I like both. I was never a white bread eater and always ate whole wheat. The grainier, the better. Maybe that's why I prefer flax so much. It kind of has that texture. Like I said, these taste a lot like oatmeal cookies to me. I might add a little nutmeg to go with the cinnamon next time.

Rick keeps eating them, so I think I found something he actually likes. <snort>  :D

Rena

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
Yea I agree it would be nice to find something to sub for raisins

I miss raisins!  :'(

I got all excited when I saw a commercial for some "faux raisins" made out of plums. I found them in the store and -- WOW! Talk about high carb. It's a real drag. Raisins would make this cookie perfect.