Author Topic: Flax Cookies  (Read 11125 times)

shawn116

Re: Flax Cookies
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
 :'(  me too

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »
I made these last night and they are great.  Cream cheese frosting would be good on them, too.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »
You may want to freeze them before you put them in a chocolate bath. ;) There is  chocolate tophat recipe in the Bakery Book. ;)

Rena

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
I keep them in the fridge and they're holding up perfectly. I agree about the cream cheese. I love that on BB Cookies.

By the way, Umpa -- I saw a recipe online where someone made their own dried cranberries using a sweetener. Have you ever tried that? Doesn't drying the fruit out bring out its natural sugar and make the carbs higher? I suppose though, even if you used raisins or cranberries in these cookies, you wouldn't need many. Hmmm ...

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
The carbs are higher in dried fruit because the water is gone and what is left is more concentrated.  If one cup of fresh cranberries shrinks to 1/2 cup or less, the number of carbs will be the same in total but higher per unit of measure.  If sugar is added to the fruit in the drying process, it will up the carb count even higher.  That's why the carbs in Craisins are so high. 

Rena

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
Thanks, Andrea. That makes sense. Like I said, there's a recipe online where someone dehydrated cranberries and used a sweetener. It still seems like they'be be too high carb.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
It's been a long time since I've had a raisin.  I wonder if the sweetness would be too much now. 

momma chops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
MADE THE COOKIES THIS AFTERNOON,THEY WHERE THE BOMB MY DAUGHTER GOBBLED THEM UP. WONDERING HOW THEY WOULD TASTE WITH  WALNUTS AND CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Rena

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »
MADE THE COOKIES THIS AFTERNOON,THEY WHERE THE BOMB MY DAUGHTER GOBBLED THEM UP. WONDERING HOW THEY WOULD TASTE WITH  WALNUTS AND CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

I wondered the same thing about the chocolate chips. Walnuts would be awesome!

joagain

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »
OK I am making these today while Tyler is at work so he will not know it is flax . My taste must have changed a little more because the OMM with flax I made yesterday was not that bad

joagain

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »
OK I made a half a batch I put 1/4 cup of xylitol and they could have been a little sweeter . I liked them enough that I will eat them when I am wanting something sweet. My hubby did not like them he said they were not sweet at all . but he eats little debbies  :P
 My question Rena  Should I have put more sweetner in it since I used xylitol ? recipe said 1/2 cup of splenda so for half the recie I used 1/4 cup xylitol .
Since my hubby did not like them Tyler probably will not go for em .

Rena

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »
Maybe, Jo -- I used Splenda with Fiber, which they say is 0 carbs. I think I could easily go up to 3/4 cup to make them a bit sweeter. But to me, flax is kind of sweet, so I guess it just depends.

I'm going shopping in a bit and planning on buying some walnuts to put in the next batch. I don't feel up to making SF chocolate chips, but I might buy some mini SF Hershey's bars and chunk them up to add too.

As for Xylitol -- I've found it's not as sweet as the others, so maybe you should go up a bit. Good luck and let me know how the next batch turns out, if you make one.

joagain

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
ok I will .  I did not know if they were suppose to be a sweet cookie or not . I would think walnuts would be good !!! 

I made the peanut butter cups for tyler and he liked them ok . They are more dark chocolate is there a way to make them more like milk chocolate ?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »
yes.add whipping cream when you melt your chocolate on the stove ;)

joagain

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
Umpa it had some whipping cream would I add xtra instead of the water ?