Author Topic: Grain-Free Low carb Hot Cereal  (Read 24435 times)

shawn116

Grain-Free Low carb Hot Cereal
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
Look what I found guys!!!  http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/10/grain-free-hot-cereal.html

I was so excited to find this post.  I've been experimenting with chia seeds and love LOVE them as a tapioca pudding replacement,  maybe bubble tea and an occasional recipe,  but I hadn't a clue what else to do with them.   While reading this blog she caught my attention when she mentioned that it tasted just like cream of wheat.  Being from the mid-west it brought back fond memories of cold mornings when I was a kid.  ;D  It's fast, It's easy and it's got 18 grams of fiber (well mine came up to 10 grams with the products I used but hey it's still a lot)  0 net carb hot cerial  :o :o   I'm in  :) :)  I should say that I threw in a few walnuts for extra crunch so I have to count those carbs but you could put in what ever you like or nothing at all  ......... Yum!!  I'm hoping it will keep me full.

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
Re: Grain-Free Low carb Hot Cereal
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  In my recently former life, cereal was a staple breakfast food, and one of the things I miss most.  I am going to give this recipe a try this weekend.

I followed the link and among the comments to the post was someone who is also new to the low carb lifesyle who was asking about stocking the low carb pantry.  I have been reading things here on the FTS forum and adding things to my grocery list based on the various recipes and discussions I read.

I was wondering if anyone has put together a "stocking the low-carb pantry" list that newbies, or anyone for that matter, might use as a good starting point?

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
You might give a look through this:  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2544.30

Also just google "Stocking a low carb pantry"  you will have so many options and hours of reading  ;) ;)  Don't forget Doug's Fat to Skinny book, the carb counter http://www.shop.fattoskinny.com/product.sc?productId=8&categoryId=1 and product guide http://www.shop.fattoskinny.com/product.sc?productId=7&categoryId=1  are a great reference as well  ;)

Keep in mind with this recipe the chia seeds have a gel like substance around them when soaked in liquid (that is why they make a great tapioca replacement)  Some folks use this as thickening in some recipes...... so the consistancy is a bit different and may turn some folks off.  (Gloppy if you will)   It didn't bother me and I really liked the taste.  Cream of wheat is gloppy anyway.  Haha I'm not trying to talk anyone out of trying it, just wanted you to be prepaird.   The biggest bonus is it has kept me full for several hours.  Here is another recipe I found using the golden flax, but I haven't tried it yet.  Sounds interesting though because I don't have everything I would need:   http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cereal02.html  I even found one to make my own dry cereal, but it is a bit tedious to make.   :-\
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:25:08 PM by TooSweet »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
I love the fat to skinny island posts! I like chia seeds. I throw some in baked goods.Chunk them on salads and if I am having a grazing day I throw some in a glass of water and drink it.Great for dehydration.  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
Hi Shawn! :)

Thanks for posting this recipe! :) :) :) :) :)

Cream of wheat is one of those things I used to enjoy on a cold morning.
Sensato cereal is good. But lacks something (i.e. goopiness) that I remember.

Thanks to you, I have a replacement before Winter sets in. ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »
Hold the phone folks......I thought I would share my experiment I tried this morning.   Instead of thinking outside the box...think outside the pan so to speak  ;D ;D   

If you have some left over cauli mash.....add sweetener, butter, maple syrup and a touch of cinnamon.  (I only had 1 serving left so I thought I would try it.  I added 4 drops of zero, 1 tbs of butter, 1 tbs of maple syrup and about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.)  I know it sounds weird (so don't judge  ;D LOL  ) but it is almost spot on with the consistency of cream of wheat.  Then I added some sugar free almond milk on top.   I was shocked!!!   Just a slightly different taste but it isn't bad  LOL   It actually reminded me of malt-o-meal?  Ha!   

I just can't get over all the uses this wonderful vegetable has  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:14:44 PM »
That's good to know, Shawn! :)

We have some leftover cauli-mash in the fridge.
Was going to use it tonight. But I think I'll try your discovery tomorrow AM.

Thanks Again!!!
Tony

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
Let me know what you think Tony.  Hubs isn't into all the experimenting like I am.    So I'm kinda on my own with this one.   I'm half temped to drive over to Suz's house to see what she thinks  Haha

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
Here's the recipe;

Grain-Free Hot Cereal

Yield: Serves 1

Ingredients

2 tbsp chia seed
    2 tbsp flax seed meal
    2 tsp erythritol (I used Swerve Sweetener) or 2 drops FTS Zero Sweetener
    1/3 cup hot water
    2 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
    2 tbsp nut butter (optional)
    Berries (optional)

Instructions

In a small bowl, stir together chia seed, flax seed meal, and erythritol.
    Add hot water, stir and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
    Stir in cream, nut butter, berries, raisins, chopped nuts...whatever floats your boat.

Notes

Serves 1. Each serving (without optional stir-ins) has a total of 18 g of carbs and 18 g of fiber. Whoa, that's a lot of fiber! Total NET CARBS = 0 g.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
Let me know what you think Tony.  Hubs isn't into all the experimenting like I am.    So I'm kinda on my own with this one.   I'm half temped to drive over to Suz's house to see what she thinks  Haha

Hi Shawn! :)

Did your cauli-mash cereal experiment this morning but added 1 TBSP of chia seeds.
Nuked it for a couple of minutes (until it began to bubble).
Stirred it and allowed it to stand for another minute.
Poured on a little almond milk and heavy cream along with a few extra shakes of cinnamon.

I really enjoyed this!... A definite do-again recipe! :) :) :)

Cauliflower is like the OMM, full of pleasant surprises!

Tony

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
Cauliflower is like the OMM, full of pleasant surprises

You are so right Tony.  I was pleasantly surprised with this.  Now I'm thinking of all the cauli mash I need to make  LOL  for the mornings and evenings  ;D ;D ;D

My wheels are turning for other recipes  ;)

suzanneT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:20:47 AM »
I NEEDED to see this one this morning. Hot cereal here I come!

Toosweet, how do you make your bubble tea? I have been dying to try it, but everything served in shops seems to be high carb.

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
Hi Suzanne  Here is the one I really like: 

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 TBS chia seeds
1 cup brewed black tea (or tea of your choice....flavors are endless)
Sweeten to taste.  (usually about 3-4 drops of zero or use any flavored sweeteners)
1 cup ice cubes

In a large bowl, add almond milk, chia seeds, tea, and sweetener. Stir until well combined (the longer it sits, the thicker it becomes). Add the ice and enjoy.   Makes 1 serving.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
I gotta try this :)

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
One quick note on eating chia seeds though.  Especially if you are drinking the bubble tea on the go......be sure to check your teeth in the mirror before leaving or getting out of the car  ;D ;D ;D  

Don't ask me how I know  ::) :-\  Haha