Author Topic: Low carb really does work  (Read 4856 times)

bdiane

• View Profile
Low carb really does work
« on: March 15, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
I had my doubts. I have done many diets over the years. I was diagnosed with a very rare blood disease a year ago. My oncologist told me to do a low carb diet if I wanted to lose weight. But, he did not explain what that meant. I have always eaten a low fat, sugar free (or so I thought) diet. I "thought" I was eating healthy. It wasn't until I read Fat To Skinny, that I understood how much sugar I was still eating!! Even though, I wasn't eating bread, pasta, or sugar, I was still eating fruit & whole grains. My Dr. was surprised at how quickly 14 pounds came off (so was I). I got a little discouraged when I sort of plateaued after that initial weight loss. But, I am still on program & my body is still changing. The best part is, my blood tests are showing improvement for the first time in a year! I have had issues with high inflammation in my blood & it is looking better! I think the hardest part of eating low carb, is not the food plan, but the mind set! My body is changing, my blood tests are and improving, and my skin is so soft (from the fats in my diet?). Trust me, this is so much easier than counting calories and fat grams!! Thank you for putting the information out there. I am very grateful!!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Low carb really does work
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »
Welcome !!! Amazing results Diane . Isn't it so easy !!! ❤️

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Welcome to the family.  Sorry to hear about your illness, but fantastic that fts seems to be helping.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
I'm so thankful you've found Fat To Skinny. It sure is an eye opener!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, bdiane!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

It's a real blessing to find an eating lifestyle that allows us to each such delicious foods and not feel deprived.
We substitute old high-carb favorites for healthy and tasty low-carb alternatives.
This way, we can continue year after year eating well and defeating excess FAT. :)

Did you know that cancer researchers study cancer by placing cells into mediums very high in sugar (glucose)?
Cancer, and many other nasties, thrive in a "sugar rich" environment.
Here's an interesting article about it;
http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/December/Starving-Cancer-Ketogenic-Diet-a-Key-to-Recovery/

By removing sugar (hidden and overt) from our meal plans, we starve cancer cells!
Not to mention, inflammation (arterial, muscular, etc.) caused by it.

You're on your way to MUCH better health! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:50:57 AM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

bdiane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »
I'm so excited! Just came back from the Dr. My blood tests are improving!! Dr. doesn't know if it's from eating low carb, from the chemo, or the combination of both. Either way, it's good news!! The tumors haven't had significant change, yet. But I believe they will with time. After all, I have only been doing this a short time! Thank you all for the welcome and the support!
 ;D ;D
Diane

Shoelace

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Congratulations, that's wonderful.  Keep up the good work.

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »
Awesome news!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 09:05:21 AM »
Sugar is fertilizer for cancer.The best gift you could have given yourself is to change your eating habits ;) Congrats on the good news :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
I'm so excited! Just came back from the Dr. My blood tests are improving!! Dr. doesn't know if it's from eating low carb, from the chemo, or the combination of both. Either way, it's good news!! The tumors haven't had significant change, yet. But I believe they will with time. After all, I have only been doing this a short time! Thank you all for the welcome and the support!
 ;D ;D
Diane

That's wonderful news, Diane! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
And we know why your blood tests are improving, now don't we? ;)

Tony

bdiane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »
Yes! We do know why the blood tests are improving..........no sugar for the sick cells to feed on!! ;D I checked the calendar today, today is only day 42 of eating low carb!! I really thought it was much longer. I am down 15 lbs. and my pants are getting loose!!  ;D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »
Yes! We do know why the blood tests are improving..........no sugar for the sick cells to feed on!! ;D I checked the calendar today, today is only day 42 of eating low carb!! I really thought it was much longer. I am down 15 lbs. and my pants are getting loose!!  ;D

That's fantastic, Diane! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 12:43:58 AM »
Wow Diane! Sounds like you are doing great! Kudos for you!

bdiane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
Thank You Everyone for the encouragement & support! This is so different from how I have eaten to lose weight in the past. I used to be able to count calories & fat grams to lose weight. It was hard, but I always substituted a s/f snack or treat to reward myself, so I didn't feel deprived. The problem was, I never broke my bad habit of sugar addiction! That way of eating worked for me when I was younger (guess my metabolism wasn't as messed up!). That no longer works for me. This IS working for me. It does make sense when you look at the chemistry of it. It's just that everything we have been taught by all the diet gurus is very different from FTS way!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »
Hi, Diane! :)

One other thing about being sugar addicted...
For those of us with a "sweet tooth", we must be cautious about sugar free candies, pop, etc.

Early on while we're detoxing from sugar, they can really help when the cravings for sweets are intense.
But, the sugar alcohols in them can slow or stop weight loss progress afterword.

That is why sweets with sugar alcohols should be the first thing to go when we stall.
And should only be eaten as "special treats" occasionally, NOT daily.

Tony
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:14:22 AM by mouseissue »