Author Topic: Chili  (Read 4776 times)

SuzyQ45

• View Profile
Chili
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:06:29 PM »
Hello, everyone.  Great site.  I appreciate all your tips and advice on this new journey.
The other day at lunch a lady in our office was enjoying a taco salad.  At the restaurant by our office they make a taco salad by pouring chili over lettuce, adding cheese, sour cream, and taco chips.  I was eating some broiled chicken at the time and was tempted to crawl over the table and "borrow" her lunch LOL.  I came home determined to find a substitute.  I searched the web, found this recipe, made it.  It was so good I wanted to share.

1 quart water
2lbs ground beef or stew meat (I used ground chuck)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 onion chopped
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 gloves garlic, mashed
2 tsp. salt
2 tablespoons chili powder ( I used Hot Mexican Chili Powder)
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
3 bay leaves
1 (4oz) can mushrooms drained ( I did not put these in)
3/4 cup chopped green pepper

Directions:
Brown meat, drain off fat.  (I also rinse my beef under hot water for a bit)
Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil, then simmer 3 hours
It is a little spicy.  You can use regular chili powder and cut down the red pepper flakes if you want.  It fit the bill.  It was perfect :) 7 to 9 carbs per serving.  I put a half of a cup of hot mixture on my romaine lettuce, a dollop of sour cream.  Delish.

joagain

Re: Chili
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
This sounds pretty good I will have to try it ,I would also leave out the mushrooms . LOL

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:38 AM »
Welcome SuzyQ45! If i can help you please ask.There is a subsitute for everything.You should never feel like you are going without.I am Umpa ,dougs wife.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where i can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.Enjoy the forum ! :)

SuzyQ45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
Thank you, Umpa.  You are wonderful.  I have spent the last week reading through the forum.  What a wonderful group of supportive people.  You and Doug are amazing.   I truly appreciate all your knowledge and concern for people.  This is a great place to be.  I plan on checking in every day for tips, tricks and inspiration on this new lifestyle.   I am rereading my Fat to Skinny book just to cement it in my mind :)   Have a super Valentine's Day.  I think my next recipe will be your coconut cake.  Yum.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »
The coconut cake makes good cupcakes too.Grandson eats them for breakfast. ;)