0 (0%)
3 stars
0 (0%)
4 stars
0 (0%)
5 stars
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Russian salad "Vinigrette"  (Read 3434 times)

LanaBee1

• View Profile
    • Email
Russian salad "Vinigrette"
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:21:38 PM »
Every family from former USSR has their own version of this recipe, usually it's not written anywhere, just passed from mom or dad to children. I learned it from my grandfather who was a shoemaker and home cook.
Russian salad "Vinigrette"
In a large bowl combine all the following:
2-3 beet root's, medium size, boil fresh beets in water for about 35 min., check with fork if they are soft in the middle. Let them cool down, peal thin layer of skin  and chop them in small cubes, or any size pieces you like.  Also you can use roasted beets, they have great flavor. If you don't care to boil or roast, Trader Jose's has cooked beets in the produce department.
2 carrots, boil them together with beets and do the same thing to them ( cool, peal, chop). If you using baby carrots, get 4-5 and boil them separately and no need of pealing.
Sauerkraut 1 - 2 cups, drain of juice, as much as possible.
1 medium Pickle or 2 small ones, chopped in small pieces.
Traditional recipe calls for boiled potatoes, I do not like that, so I put 1/2 of 12 oz. can's of beans, any kind you like garbanzo, navy, red, white.
1 small can of Green peas or / and small can of mushrooms.
1/2 (half) of small onion, only if you love onions ( I do!) and not planning to kiss soon after eating or you can use 2 scallions, chives, shallots. Another option is to sauté onion for 3-4 min to take a bite out of it, but I like fresh once.
Dressing: 2 table spoons of olive oil, or flax seed oil, or Russian traditional sunflower oil. Black paper  and 2 spoons of fresh dill or parsley are great, if you using dry spices use much much less.
Gently mix all ingredients about 5-6 time.
Enjoy!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Russian salad "Vinigrette"
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »
LanaBee1 welcome forum! i am umpa ,dougs wife.If I can help you please ask.I am gonna guess that you have not read the book yet. ;)
Although this is a beautiful recipe,it is not right for Fat to Skinny. :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Russian salad "Vinigrette"
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
Wow! Sugar overload  :o Welcome to the forum, time to read the book :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)