Author Topic: greens  (Read 3834 times)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
greens
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:28:46 AM »
Anyone have a good recipe for greens?  I need to add more.  I love the ones in cans but they are loaded with sodium.  Ideas anyone? :-\

Rena

Re: greens
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »
I'd like to know, too. I eat a lot of fresh spinach and green leaf lettuce, but was wondering what some other options were. I know collard greens, watercress, and turnip greens are all low-carb, but they all seem to vary a lot. I eat mostly fresh spinach. Today I fried some up in a pan with a little butter flavored Pam. Other times I eat it raw with some Walden Farms dressing.

Would you cook collard greens the same way as spinach? I keep looking to see which has the lowest carbs. Doug's book says watercress is 0, but when I do a search online, it lists it more than spinach. I'm easily confused.  :-\

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »
Hi Beth! :)

Here are a couple of ideas for cooked spinach.

From skychant: http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2341.msg21316#msg21316
And another from CaliGirl: http://fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1466.msg13396#msg13396

That is just two of MANY possibilities!

Try adding or substituting other greens.
Let your creative juices flow! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
Thanks Tony they both sound yummy!  Can you "re-post" the government site you use again?  I looked but couldn't find it. ???

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »
Thanks Tony they both sound yummy!  Can you "re-post" the government site you use again?  I looked but couldn't find it. ???

Sure Beth!... Here ya go: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »
Great site!   The carb count that is listed is net carb??
Or do I need to do some subtraction? ???

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
Great site!   The carb count that is listed is net carb??
Or do I need to do some subtraction? ???

Take "Carbohydrate, by difference" and subtract "Fiber, total dietary" to get Net Carb Count. ;)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »
Thanks again. Tonight I sautéed some bok Choy in coconut oil and a little butter added salt and pepper and a clove of garlic and topped it with a dollop of your cheese sauce...it was fabuloso!  That cheese sauce is great.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »
Thanks again. Tonight I sautéed some bok Choy in coconut oil and a little butter added salt and pepper and a clove of garlic and topped it with a dollop of your cheese sauce...it was fabuloso!  That cheese sauce is great.

Thanks Beth! :)

I put that sauce on many different foods... Everything from steak, chicken and fish, to broccoli. ;)

Last night, I fried up a pound of lean ground beef, with 1/4 medium yellow onion, added 1/2 pound of fresh broccoli, 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder, some sea salt, and fresh ground pepper.
Covered and allowed the broccoli to steam for about 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
When the broccoli was al dente (firm but not hard), I mixed in the cheese sauce.
If I were not out of mushrooms, I would have sautéed and added them too!

Served topped with fresh grated Parmesan cheese... YUMMY and VERY filling!!! :) :) :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Doug cooks collards and other greens i will have him post some  recipes. ;)

beth823

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
Please do!  I eat spinach and want to expand my green horizons! :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »
Greens are very easy to prepare. Collards, Mustard Greens and Turnip Greens are prepared as follows; Directions for 1 large head.

1- Clean them very well in a kitchen sink using plenty of water to remove any sand.
2- Chop off the stalks then chop the greens into bite size pieces. The easiest way to do this is to simply stack the leaves on top of each other, run a sharp knife through them vertically making 3 or 4 cuts, then chop them horizontally.
3- Fine chop 4 or 5 slices of bacon or 1/4 cup of salt pork and render out the fat in a large pot over medium heat.
4- Remove the cooked meat and set aside for a topping leaving the fat in the pot. Dump in the greens, 1 cup of water 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. cover and wait 5 minutes for the greens to shrink a bit.
5- Uncover the greens and stir well, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes checking the water level about halfway through the process. You only need enough water to create a bit of steam and to avoid sticking. You are not boiling, you are steaming.
6- strain the green and return to the pot off the heat. stir in 2 or 3 tabs of butter and additional salt and pepper to taste. 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)