Author Topic: question about if program can work for people with Celiacs Disease?  (Read 4033 times)

gabrielle

• View Profile
    • Email
     I found your site today because I was I was searching for a high fiber, low carb program.  I am in a desperate situation.  I am 305lbs, 5'8", and  a month away from my 41st birthday. My doctor has informed me that if I could get my weight down to 250lbs I could try to get pregnant with my first child.  For the last two years, I have been doing everything I can to get the weight off and have only been able to get off about 25lbs on my own.  What I have learned over the last two years is that I need low carb foods and high fiber seems to be important as well.  I just can't seem to get the whole picture though and I am tired of struggling on my own. 
     The big problem I have is that I have Celiac's disease so getting fiber from wheat, barely, or rye is out.  I actually found your site through the GG Bran Crispbread website but sadly it is a product that I can not eat.  My question to you is do you ever work with people who can't eat gluten?  I've been told that taking in fiber from things like beans is just too high in carbs to be effective on a low carb diet.  So, would your program still work for me??
     I would really appreciate any advice or feedback that you could provide.  I am really trying to do all of the right things.  I am willing to work really hard to get this weight off, I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
Sincerely,
Gabrielle

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
Re: question about if program can work for people with Celiacs Disease?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:31:22 AM »
I know nothing about your disease but I was wondering why the Dr wants you to loose weight (other than the obvious reasons) to try and get pregnant? Lots of overweight women have children everyday. I was over 300 when I got pregnant and delivered naturally. Just wondering.

Also we have several people on the board that have special diets and needs for their health. I am sure Doug will answer your questions shortly and hopefully you'll pick up the book and give it a try. It really is an amazing lifestyle that has changed many of our lives.

Best of luck!!!

Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 08:47:33 AM »
Celiacs Disease makes gluten a dangerous ingredient for people afflicted with it. Gluten is a form of protein found in bread, crackers, pasta, wheat, barley, rye and certain other grain based products. When a person with celiac disease eats gluten, the body's natural defense system (immune system) attacks the gluten and damages the small intestine.

FAT TO SKINNY is a perfect eating plan for people with Celiacs as we cut all of those items out of our eating plan.

Fiber comes in many forms and you'll get much of it from vegetable fiber.

Welcome to the family!  ;)

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »
This is a very good program for Celiac disease.  Other than the GG Bran Crispbread and the LaTortillas we try to avoid wheat products.  Most of the baked goods we make are with flax meal (good fibre) or almond meal.  The pasta we eat is Shirataki tofu pasta, nothing with wheat.  I make things for my sister who has Celiac disease and she thinks they are great.  There are recipes on the forum for bread, crackers and biscuits that are gluten free as well as most things in the Fat to Skinny Bakery Book.  There are only a couple of bread recipes in the book that call for wheat gluten, other than that everything is gluten free.  One thing we have learned on this program as I am sure you have with your gluten issues, you have to read labels.  You should find this program quite easy to fit into your life.  

joagain

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
Welcome gabrielle

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:24 AM »
Gabrielle Welcome! Iam umpa ,dougs wife.If I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. You will do fine here.

gabrielle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:32:51 AM »
Everyone, you have been so supportive.  Sherripie, Doug, ShihTzuMom1, Joagain, and Umpa- Thank you very much!!!!!!!
Thanks for all of the feedback on the gluten issue.  I was afraid that the diet was based on eating the crispbread and that would have left me out.  So glad to hear that I can follow this especially since there is a wonderful supportive group here in the forum.

Sherripie-My doc wants me to get the weight down because of weight mostly.  I am on a high blood pressure pill but since I have been faithful in exercise and once I lost 15lbs they had me cut it in half.  I don't really need it any more but until more weight is off they won't officially take me off of it.  It happens to be a medicine that would harm a baby so I have to get off of that med first.  But, thank you for the encouragement.  I feel certain that if I could get another 15lbs off the docs would eliminate that med.

Umpa-thank you so much for offering to help.  I will be getting the book today and after I have read it I  will probably have some questions.  Thank you for being so kind

Feel like I am home already!!  Thanks everyone and especially Doug for creating this program  :)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »
I forgot to welcome you to the Fat to Skinny forum family Gabrielle.  Good luck with your journey!!

gabrielle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »
 ShihTzuMom1 -thank you so much!!   I used to have shih Tzus as well and just loved them.  We have dashunds now but I keep trying to talk my husband into getting another shihtzu :)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:51:36 AM »
Here they are, Tyson on the left and Kasey on the right.

gabrielle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
Oh My Gosh-sooooo cute!!!!!  Thanks for sharing that picture :)

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Those are some cutiepie doggies ShihTzuMom1!!

Gabrielle get the book asap and get started. It is so simple and you get to eat stuff you'll love. Plus you'll loose weight FOREVER and sometimes it is so simple it feels like cheating. You will get those 15 pounds off quickly and start working on a baby.

We need an FTS baby!!  :)

If you need anything let us know, we are always around.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

gabrielle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Sheripie-you , and everyone, is just so nice. Thank you.  Just got the book downloaded and now it is time to dive in... Can't wait!

Rena

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »
Welcome, Gabrielle!

I've gotten off my high blood pressure meds since starting FTS in October. I'm sure you can do it, too. Good luck and you'll find a lot of support here.

gabrielle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
Rena, thank you for sharing that with me.  Very motivational!!