Author Topic: Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds  (Read 3626 times)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Ok, so I finally tried a couple of the Cocoa Roast Almonds at a friends house, and they are great!   Excited to find a new low carb snack, I went to Sam's Warehouse and bought the HUGE container of them.  Here's where the weird thing happens..... All weekend I felt like I was battling a virus or possibly inner ear.  I have been VERY dizzy & nauseated.  This morning I was feeling fine.  I came into work grabbed a diet coke & a handful of my almonds.  Now, I am dizzy and sick again.  I did a quick search online and found that others have had this same reaction to these.  Apparently I may be allergic to the dark cocoa powder on these nuts!  :-\  Anyone else ever experienced this?     

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »
Oh no!  I hate that for you  :(

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
Really??? You are the first person i have heard of ??I will just have to come up with a recipe so you can make your own. ;) Do you have a problem with the hersheys unsweetened cocoa powder?

Rena

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »
Oh, no, Jan -- that's too bad. I love those almonds. I buy them in the 100-calorie packs so I don't overeat them. And yeah, I AM too lazy to count my own out and put them in baggies. ;) They have a brand new cinnamon one that you might be able to eat instead. I haven't tried them, but I love cinnamon so I hope to get some soon.

I hope Umpa is able to make an alternative for you.

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »
Yeah, after thinking back over the weekend, each time I felt SO bad was within 30-45 minutes of eating the cocoa almonds!  ha ha  So weird.....

Umpa I've never had a problem with the Hershey's cocoa (or any other food ha ha), so I would LOVE a recipe to make my own!  You are just TOO much!! Thank you!!!  :-*

Rena, I noticed last week on the Emerald website that they make other flavors, but I haven't seen those in the stores. (I was so excited I emailed Amber to let her know about them too!)  I think the cinnamon would be GREAT!  ;D

joagain

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:13 PM »
Jan that is bad but the good news is they make cinnamon ones that are 100 % better . We dont buy the coco ones anymore after tasting the cinnamon .!!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:03:02 PM »
Rena I am all about easy too!  I am hoping these Planters Nut*rition Heart Healthy Mix (peanuts, almonds, pistachios, peacans, & walnuts) packages are okay.  Total net carbs 3 for the 1 pack - calories 200 vs your 100 pack. Are all of these Nuts allowed?

joagain

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
I think they are fine Amber , somebody on here said if they eat to many nuts it stalls them . I like to keep them in my purse when I get in a jam .

shawn116

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
Hey guys

If you feel you have the time I roast my own at home and measure out a serving with the kitchen scale (usually about a 1/4 cup).  I make little bags with my seal a meal but you can just use little zip locks if you don't have one of those. 

I take my almonds and coat them with oil.   It doesn't take much but it helps bring out the flavor of the almond.  I used about 1 Tbs for 3 lbs of almonds (olive oil would work I think but I used canola because it is what I had)  Just dump them in a zip lock baggy and shake.

Place on a baking pan (large cookie sheet) spread out and roast for 10-15 minutes at 350.  ( I took mine out at about 12) 

Here is the fun part You can spice them any way you want. 

I took 1 lb and just added sea salt ( my favorite) 

1 lb I took 1/4 cup xylitol and a tsp of cinnamon and coated them ( if you put the cinnamon and xylitol in a coffee grinder and blend a few times before using it to coat your almonds, it seems to coat much better .....unless of coarse you are using the powder xylitol.  In that case you might want to adjust the amount and omit the grinding)

The last 1lb I used 1/4 cup xylitol with enough of coco that tasted good to me  ( the same with this mix in the grinder) 

I like the pre packaged stuff for convenience but you can't beat the taste of making your own fresh.  It is about time for me to make some more!!  LOL  ;D ;D

I'll be interested to see what you come up with Umpa!!  I bet there are other flavor's that would be good  ;)