Author Topic: Atkin's frozen meals  (Read 7915 times)

nosugartalking

• View Profile
Atkin's frozen meals
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
What are your thoughts?

I have tried 5 0f the 9 varieties and found them to be very good. In fact they are way more tasty  than most other frozen meals on the market. Plus you get the benefit of low carb. Great to take to work or in a time crunch when there's not much time to cook. All seem to be 6 carbs or lower. Just the right amount when  your in keiosis and  not that hungry. If you feel like you need more, you could always add a small salad. But I found them to be filling  on there own.
Great price too, dinners under $4 and breakfast meals under $3 at Wal-Mart.
It's about time we are offered meals without those cheap carb fillers like potatoes, rice and pasta the other so called "diet" dinners have in them. I rarely do the other Atkins products  like bars and shakes because I believe in eating  real food. But I must say I think they have got a winner here with these frozen meals. They are delicious.

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
Re: Atkin's frozen meals
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
I haven't tried them yet... just looked them up on Walmart.com.  They look good.  All about 5 net carbs.  No hydrogenated oils or trans fats.  I can't wait to pick some up.

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »
I haven't tried them either.....I've been waiting to see what others might say about them...LOL   They may be a great alternative for the hubs to take to work with him.  I would love to get him on board.   :) 

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:34:14 AM »
I'm planning to take a look the next time I go to the grocery store.  I'm curious about the ingredients list.  Tony's test, you know.  What are the first ingredients?

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
Prepared freshly from ingredients that I know and naturally-sourced. Hey, but that's just me, I suspect. But anyway, I don't think anything can beat the quality and flavors that you can get by packing up your own snack-box meal to eat during the day or even preparing something like that for the one you love. While it may not be convenient, you'll certainly get a delicious meal for less than $3 or $4.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Mark
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:42:27 AM »
I'm just thinking you are lucky to have the option of buying something prepackaged.  In Australia it's hard to get things that are specifically low carb.  When you talk about low carb yoghurt, ice cream or low carb pasta sauce, I get me the cravings.  I know I can make it myself and I do (well except the yoghurt), but it would be nice to be able to just buy it and put in pantry for 'emergencies'.  .... sighhhhhhh

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
I am not the prepackaged girl :) I like the flavor of fresh food. You can make your own tv dinners. Doug will post a link. With me its the preservatives they use. I had seizures for years from the preservatives in meat.  ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »
Hi Morgan, I love a good TV dinner, with that said my judgement of good compared to others is a little more picky :) Truth is I really love our own cooking so making quick frozen TV dinners for fast re-heat in the microwave is as easy as having the proper plates. Here's a link to a  freezer/microwave safe TV dinner tray set of 4 with covers reasonably priced. http://www.wdrake.com/WalterDrake/DisplayItem.aspx?id=303973&SourceCode=20619101003&cmp=affiliate&siteID=sWprSSilZQg-DvWRkQ7KX86N31lb7x4LWA

Make your own TV dinners in a snap!  ;) 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »
Here's another brand which is more expensive but both microwave and oven safe- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWCTWE?tag=microwcookinforo
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

mdanziger

• Getting Started is the Hardest Part!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »
OK.  I took the plunge and bought some of the Atkin's frozen meals.  First of all, they are what they are... premade frozen meals.  That being said, I had the crustless chicken pot pie and it wasn't bad at all.

Here is the ingredients list:  Cooked seasoned diced chicken breast (chicken breast, water, lemon juice concentrate, and vinegar, salt), water, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cream, butter (cream), canola oil, carrots, contains less than 2% of the following: modified food starch, sherry cooking wine (sherry wine, salt, sulfites), chicken stock, salt, soy lecithin, xanthan gum, flavorings, annato.

While it isn't exactly home cooking, it does not contain any partially hydrogenated oils or any trans fats, so it is pretty good.

The nutritional value is as follows:

Calories 330
Calories from fat 200
Total Fat 22 g

Sodium 880 mg (this is my biggest concern about this product, especially since I have blood pressure concerns)

Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugar 2 g
Protein 22 g

So the net carbs is 5 g.

I would not eat them for all my meals, but for a quickie, I think I will add the to my arsenal.

Mark

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
I'm like Doug on this, nosugartalking! :)

When I cook, I think "leftovers" being 2nd, 3rd, 4th meals.
I divide them up into meal sizes, and freeze.

This saves a LOT of money, and tastes so much better too! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

JanetG

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
I'm with you Tony, leftovers are a lifesaver not to mention saves time!

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:13 AM »
I like the homemade type myself....so easy too

Check this out http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2264.msg22898#new 

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »
Homemade alllllll the way for me!!!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Atkin's frozen meals
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 07:34:10 PM »
homemade for me too, even at my heaviest I was never the processed- pre packaged  type....lol my walmart here in Jersey has them as well I found them today