Author Topic: almond milk  (Read 2377 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
almond milk
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:59:02 AM »
Supermarkets here are finally getting with it with sugarfree items. Though the advertising on the items is still questionable.  I decided to try to buy almond milk again and was happily surprised that they had a number of choices. So off I go reading labels.  My smile slowly worked into a frown. The range of carbs shocked me. I couldn't understand how you got 18  carbs/250ml. Checked the ingredients. Omg! Why oh why would they put rice syrup in almond milk???? Checked the front 'no added cane sugar' ah ha...might have been true but they didn't say it wasn't sweetened with anything else.

Read the labels! read the labels! read the labels!

Picked up can tuna in brine..hmm. Carb count went from 0.3/100g to 2.4..ingredients tuna and salt? Huh?why extra carbs? Checked can tuna in springwater - still 0.3/100g.

Read the labels! Read the labels! Read the labels!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: almond milk
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 10:17:39 AM »
I agree Morgan :) What shocks me is products I have used for years they change the labels and all off a sudden they are full of carbs!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
Those manufacturers are tricky little critters   :(  They like to change things up on you too....so even read the old faithful products.  It's maddening  >:( 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 01:00:02 PM »
Excellent advice, Morgan & Shawn! :)

Manufacturers are in the business to sell products.
In so doing, they can be VERY tricky and misleading.

So ALWAYS read labels even on products you already buy regularly.
They will sometimes add something that adds carbs.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!