Author Topic: Have you experienced this?  (Read 5389 times)

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Have you experienced this?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
That is great that you figured it out! I'm guessing mine might have been dehydration issues too. I got my first attack at 12. My parents took me to the ER - they thought it could be appendicitis. It hurt so bad I never wanted to feel that again, that one was the size of a BB but I threw it out not realizing what it was so they didn't get to analyze it or see what it was made of. Then when 19 (and pregnant!) I had another but they called it "gravel". They couldn't do much for me but they did give me a shot of Demerol lol. Eventually I passed it and felt better...last time I had that luckily. It was worse than labor pain, at least that comes and goes! Lol. My father has had a few as well. Guess I just have to be more careful about my hydration. I do drink a lot of plain water that I didn't used to back then as a teen. Lots more fluids in general!

-Michelle

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
Hi, Michelle! :)

My dad did not drink much water either and had a number of "stone attacks".
There's a genetic component to acquiring these painful stones.

My urologist said that plain water does the best job keeping stones from starting to form in the kidneys.
Any other "fluid" must be filtered and processed by the kidneys and liver, and may contribute to stone formation.

I do enjoy an occasional SF soda or other beverage.
But I rely on water to maintain optimum health and freedom from kidney stones.

One other thing... Drinking lots of plain water can flush too much sodium from our bodies.
So we need to be sure we get a little sodium (salt) everyday.
But foods like bacon usually have enough to get us by! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »
My sodium is very VERY minimal, so it's not that. It's not carbs...and tonight, I'm swollen AGAIN. This Saturday I'll be visiting ER. I've never had stones but have been hospitalized with severe, severe dehydration and malnutrition 9 times that I can count. I've had 21 hospitalizations in my life total :\ I have a tendency to vomit and vomit...like 100 times an hour, sometimes unexplained. When I'm lowcarbing, I have a LOT less issues...so I enjoy that, but still have them. I threw up so much in pregnancy to the point I got chemical hepatitis and was depleted of magnesium, potassium, sodium and numerous other things. I've had a rough last year. The worst pain I had in my life was hyperemesis gravidarum that lasted the WHOLE pregnancy and labor with my first...37 hours of sheer torture. Anyways, I drink a good amount of water about 8-10 glasses a day...what my transplant team recommended. We even have a water cooler we rent that has water done by reverse osmosis...it had less than 4 contaminents, and tap had over 40! Anyhow...I'll let you know if go and what I find out! The swelling causes a tremendous amount of pain :( I didn't get notifications that anyone had commented on this one either :\ grrr if you notice that I don't respond, it's just I didn't get a notice! Some of my posts I'm not finding I'm just having to browse and click on "new replies" button. Anyhow...hope you two don't ever get stones again...I've worked in healthcare for 2 years before I lost my job and I learned kidney stones can be made of multiple materials and it's not always because of drinking too little water, though the majority is! Anyhow...will update when I know more. If you pray, remember me, if you don't...send positive thoughts my way :)
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 02:58:04 AM »
My dear, TabyTaby...

You certainly do present a challenge that is far in way more than I've seen in my 2.5+ years with FTS.

From what you've said, you require a medical professional's guidance.
I also pray that person understands the importance of low carb living to resolve obesity.

More than just good thoughts, I pray that the Good Lord brings you peace
and resolution to your perplexing and very complex health issues.

In the meantime, we'll be here to support you in any way we can. :)

Tony

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 03:26:36 AM »
Thanks Tony :) they sure do seem to brush me off. They didn't want to do a colonoscopy on me because of my age...and I prayed my heart out and God came through again and they did one and found gastritis, a hiatal hernia, diverticulosis/itis, and a polyp that came back as precancerous. Had they not referred me, it would have been cancer in a few years and probably wouldn't have been caught in time because I'm only 28 and they don't usually do them until you're 50. They did an EGD too...my 7th one. SMH don't know where to start...but usually on Saturdays there's a doctor I used to work with that knows me and I'm hoping he can help...he's a low-carber for the most part too...and clean and organic eater like me. I'm on Medicaid since I lost my job due to illness in Dec. and it's done at the end of this month...I'm hoping to get this cleared soon before I got back on private insurance because I can't afford the bills :(. Anyways, done ranting, this is way OT...but thank you much Tony.
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 03:43:00 AM »
We won't brush you off, TabyTaby!

Someone so young should not have to deal with all the health problems and complexities you're experiencing.
And any competent medical professional should know that too!

One thing I find perplexing... A hiatal hernia occurs at the valve (hiatus) above the stomach.
How did a colonoscopy reveal it?

I will say special prayers for you everyday.

Tony
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:54:08 AM by mouseissue »

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
It wasn't just a colonoscopy :) it was an EGD too...a dual procedure...it was my 7th one :) that's how they found it and the gastritis...I was roto-rootered through both ends  :D :o LOL thanks Tony I appreciate it. I'll probably have to visit the ER to find out what's up with the swelling...because you remember how I said last night I was swollen? Well guess what? Took a pill, and this morning I was 4 pounds lighter...again. So now I"m down to 241...that's the good thing :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:14 PM »
Hi, TabyTaby! :)

Four pounds of water can disappear very fast!... If only fat would do the same! :)

Dual procedure... WOW!!!??? :o :o :o

Do you have a thyroid condition and/or take thyroid medication?
My wife used to have problems with swelling (especially painful in the ankles and feet).
After her doc properly adjusted her thyroid medication, the problem (and others) went away.

Tony

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »
No sir...I had my thyroid checked about 6 years ago but all was okay. Hasn't been checked since. I think I'm going to have to go to ER this weekend to get it checked out since my sorry doctor won't help me. I hate that.