Author Topic: BEEF FAT  (Read 2807 times)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
BEEF FAT
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
So.....I bought steaks that the butcher cut for me and he cut off a TON of fat which he was going to throw away.  I told him to bag it and I brought it home.  I thought I read somewhere that this can be really great to cook/fry with.  Is it tallow?  Looks like when I research it I can cook it until it liquifies and then use it when needed?  Kinda confused....

Does anyone know what I am talking about or have any suggestions??

Thanks!
Kim

shawn116

Re: BEEF FAT
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
You are right Kim.  It's called Tallow.  I found this link to explain how to render it from the fat.  http://cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2008/04/how-to-cook-with-beef-tallow/

My grandmother always had a grease can on the stove and used it to season and cook with.  I am learning more and more how foods that we buy are so harmful to us...not just the processed and sugar laden items.  Makes me want to buy a farm and raise and grow my own food source  :-\  Come to think of it, my sister does....Might be time to move a bit closer...Haha  ::)

jetfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »
WOW you learn cool stuff here!
Failure can be measured by the steps we don't take.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
I don't use beef fat to cook with that often. I do keep bacon fat around all the time and use it often. I also like duck fat as an additive for cooking. I like a lighter oil with a high flash point for deep frying or skillet frying such as fried chicken. My oil of choice for this would be peanut or vegetable oil. Lighter heat cooking such as sautes, stir fries, eggs etc... require fats such as butter, olive oils or sesame oil. Duck Fat or Beef fat are great for flash searing meats and poultry.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
Thanks spoo much for the input and the link!  I will check it out  :)

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:46 PM »
One of the great uses of for beef fat if you're like me and use cast-iron utensils is that you just take away the fat and use it to grease the pan before you fry anything. It gives a lovely flavor to many many dishes.

Another dish you can use it for is fried cauliflower. Simply steam some tot cauliflower florets then when their al dente put your pan or skillet over a low heat, throw in the fat lumps until they melt a bit and then just plunk the cauliflower florets over the top. Add a little salt and as much pepper as you like and then continue cooking over low heat for about half an hour until the cauliflower florets have started to brown nicely.

If you're not getting enough fat out of the beef fat, a few nubs of butter will also improve the taste at least according to my taste buds anyway.

You can use beef fat virtually wherever you would choose a nub of butter - in savory dishes.

It doesn't work quite as well in sweet dishes because it has that slightly well, beefy taste.... surprise surprise!

Hope that helps,

Mark
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:05:50 PM »
Thanks Mark!!  And...Everything tastes better with some butter added  :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator