Author Topic: My First Day  (Read 4711 times)

ByeByeFAT

• View Profile
    • Email
My First Day
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
Okay, today is the day of new beginnings......
My church has went on a fast for the month of Jan. 2012 (from food etc.) and I'm believing to do so myself, but from sugar.
I need all the encouragement I can get. Let me give you some background info. I'm a 42 year old female, I was an alcoholic for about 20 years and have not had a drink in 4 years. Once I gave up the bottle, I took on another addiction (sugar) and the scale has been working overtime since.
To make matters worse, I have an identical twin sister and she is 38lbs thinner, no fun looking at someone that looks like you and wonder if your husband thinks "oh this is what my wife could look like", honestly, my husband is such an awesome support. I have been praying and asking the Lord for self control.
Just looking for thoughts and prayers.
Thank You, Betty Jo

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
Re: My First Day
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »
BettyJo welcome to the forum and to the FTS lifestyle.  Everyone is here to support you and encourage you.  If you stick to this you will see amazing changes just as many of us have and kick that sugar demon. lol  Please know that if you have any questions please ask.  There is a plethora of information in the forum topics and lots of SF recipies.

Congrats on taking this step to a healthier lifestyle and a new you!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »
Welcome BettyJo! I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.You are gonna do great!Are you in Louisiana? :)

Marty

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »
Hi BettyJo! You've come to the right place! This is the easiest change in lifestyle I've ever seen - and the friendliest people! You'll do great here! :D

Rena

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:27:48 PM »
Welcome, and good luck, Betty Jo. You've kicked one demon already, so sugar should be a piece of cake for you.  :)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »
 Hi Betty Jo  :)  You have come to the right place.  You will find many thoughts, awesome support and lots of prayers.  Like Rena said....piece of cake.  Welcome to the FTS family  ;) 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
Welcome to the family, Betty Jo!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

As a recovering alcoholic, you understand addiction.
Most all of here are Carb Addicts so you're in good company.

We really do care about your health and want to see you successfully live the FTS lifestyle.
With all the low carb replacements for the sugary poisons we used to eat, it's a very pleasant lifestyle.

For many folks, the toughest part is the first 10 to 14 days.
It's during that time that you will be going thru "sugar detox".

Once you get pas that, everything gets a whole lot better.
Old cravings disappear.
You'll feel 1000% better than you do now.
And the low carb foods you eat taste better and better with every passing day.

BTW, I trust that your husband loves and adores you regardless of your appearance... He should!
Most of us here also have damaged self-images due to being overweight.
Repairing those takes a bit longer than repairing the damage that years of sugar have caused.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your FTS journey.

You are be in my thoughts and prayers, Betty Jo.
The Lord will give you everything you need to be successful.
It's your job to remain committed and He'll take care of the rest.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

freeinHim

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »
Welcome, BettyJo...

I second all that everyone says!  I have been on FTS now since the day after Christmas and once I made the decision and fed my body with FTS foods, I haven't had any real cravings for sugar.  Thanks to the FTS bakery book, I've made yummy treats that satisfy any desire I've had for those types of things.  As a result of following FTS, my pants are a little looser and the scale has gone down a bit.   :)

When I was in 12-step, I heard many times that if I did my 2%, that God would do the rest.  Your commitment to yourself and this FTS journey is your 2%. The good Lord will give you the strength you need to keep going.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Ah it seems we have a Cajun in our midst :) Betty Jo, don't you worry darlin, hang in and follow the rules. As the other forum members have coached you in a couple of weeks all the cravings will be gone! Hey....want some Gumbo?

Shrimp Gumbo Filet with Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Cornbread
(Six servings)

INGREDIENTS
2 boneless chicken breasts
1 ½ pound large shrimp
1 ½ pound cod filets
1 package hillshire farm light smoked sausage
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
2 cups okra
2 - 4 tablespoons cajunland brand complete seafood boil
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons file powder
carb counters™ corn muffin mix #240195u
shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease up a 10 inch cast iron skillet or pie dish.

Mix Carb Counters Corn Muffin Mix per the instructions. To the batter add ¼ cup chopped Jalapeno peppers and ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Place in oven to bake per the packet instructions.

Item # 240195U available at www.dixiediner.com

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a stewpot. Brown 1 ½ cups of  1-inch cubed chicken breast, two links of Hillshire Farms light smoked sausage, cut into slices, 1 cup of chopped celery, 1 cup chopped onion, 2 tablespoons crushed garlic cloves, and 1 cup of chopped green pepper. Once browned, pour in 8 cups of chicken stock (canned, no SUGAR). Bring to a boil and add 2 tablespoons Cajun Land Cajun seasoning and 2 cups of  sliced okra (thawed out from freezer is ok). Reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes.
Now it’s time to taste your broth. Is it spicy enough, salty enough? If not add another couple of teaspoons of cajunland seasoning, stir and taste once again. Continue this method until your desired spice is achieved.

Add 1 ½ pounds of shelled/deveined shrimp and 1 ½ pounds of fish cubed into 1 inch cubes to pot, cover and simmer another 10 minutes.  Just prior to serving, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of file powder (ground sassafras) on top of stew pot and gently mix in. Serve with jalapeno cheddar cheese cornbread.

TIP - Freezes well for quick soup-and-salad lunch. If you wish to make a smaller recipe simply cut all the ingredient quantities in half.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

AliciaInTX

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
I'm with you, Betty Jo! Today is my first day, too. I'm 38 and need to lose about 40lbs. So excited to get on with it and feel better. I'm a sugar addict, too, so I completely understand where you're coming from. I did do Atkins for a while but the cravings were endless. Hoping that this strategy will be better for me and that my will to lose weight will overcome the cravings! :) 

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 02:08:15 PM »
 Went into my things to cook soon Doug...... Thanks  ;)

Welcome to the FTS family Alicia  :)  Once you get through the sugar detox your cravings should go away.  I think that is the problem with other programs.  Like Atkins for instance you start out low carb but you start adding the carbs back in.  Cravings come rushing back.  Being a sugar addict is pretty much what has gotten us all here in the first place.  What is great about FTS is the replacements so you can still have your favorite things or close to it and not feel like you are doing with out.  That makes it easy to make it a lifestyle change  ;)   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:31:39 PM by TooSweet »

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »
Hello Alicia and Betty Jo!   I am so happy that you both have found us!!  You will love this forum.  The people here are amazing and they really care about your success.   We are all in this together, and I have seen that God does bless our efforts!  I have never been able to stay on a "diet", but the fts lifestyle just clicks for me.   If I can do this, anybody can!   :)  Most of us are on here at some point during the day, so post often!   Congrats on your first step!!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »
I'm with you, Betty Jo! Today is my first day, too. I'm 38 and need to lose about 40lbs. So excited to get on with it and feel better. I'm a sugar addict, too, so I completely understand where you're coming from. I did do Atkins for a while but the cravings were endless. Hoping that this strategy will be better for me and that my will to lose weight will overcome the cravings! :) 

Welcome to the family, Alicia!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Just follow the FTS rules, and those cravings will soon disappear... I promise! ;)
Just commit to FTS, and this lifestyle will deliver you from "diet" frustration permanently!

I'm looking forward to hearing about your FTS journey.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »
Welcome Alicia!   :) If i can help you just ask.I am Dougs wife Umpa.

anjelhands

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Ah it seems we have a Cajun in our midst :) Betty Jo, don't you worry darlin, hang in and follow the rules. As the other forum members have coached you in a couple of weeks all the cravings will be gone! Hey....want some Gumbo?

(Six servings)

INGREDIENTS

2 boneless chicken breasts
1 ½ pound large shrimp
1 ½ pound cod filets
1 package hillshire farm light smoked sausage
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
2 cups okra
2 - 4 tablespoons cajunland brand complete seafood boil
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons file powder
carb counters™ corn muffin mix #240195u
shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Grease up a 10 inch cast iron skillet or pie dish.

Mix Carb Counters Corn Muffin Mix per the instructions. To the batter add ¼ cup chopped Jalapeno peppers and ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Place in oven to bake per the packet instructions.

Item # 240195U available at www.dixiediner.com

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a stewpot. Brown 1 ½ cups of  1-inch cubed chicken breast, two links of Hillshire Farms light smoked sausage, cut into slices, 1 cup of chopped celery, 1 cup chopped onion, 2 tablespoons crushed garlic cloves, and 1 cup of chopped green pepper. Once browned, pour in 8 cups of chicken stock (canned, no SUGAR). Bring to a boil and add 2 tablespoons Cajun Land Cajun seasoning and 2 cups of  sliced okra (thawed out from freezer is ok). Reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes.
Now it’s time to taste your broth. Is it spicy enough, salty enough? If not add another couple of teaspoons of cajunland seasoning, stir and taste once again. Continue this method until your desired spice is achieved.

Add 1 ½ pounds of shelled/deveined shrimp and 1 ½ pounds of fish cubed into 1 inch cubes to pot, cover and simmer another 10 minutes.  Just prior to serving, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of file powder (ground sassafras) on top of stew pot and gently mix in. Serve with jalapeno cheddar cheese cornbread.

TIP - Freezes well for quick soup-and-salad lunch. If you wish to make a smaller recipe simply cut all the ingredient quantities in half.

Good stuff. Had it today with caulirice. I have planned oversea,  so will serve it with cornbread next time.