Author Topic: xylitol  (Read 8724 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
xylitol
« on: August 05, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »
Never paid much attention with regards to tummy issues with xylitol as didn't really use that much UNTIL  made a cake with it. I now understand what happens. Could not unleash that on unsuspecting friends/family.  Though if you need things to move along, would recommend using this in cooking.  Think will use zero in future efforts.  Oh dear ....

shawn116

Re: xylitol
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:58:12 AM »
Oh goodness!!  :o :o 

FTS zero is definitely the way to go  ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
I use xylitol for cinnamon sugar for the coating on fall spice balls and thats it about it ;) I use Zero for everything :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »
Mary(my 14 yr old) & I have not had any side effects from  xylitol as of yet. I made cupcakes, pancakes, muffins, brownies and more.
We do get side effects from sugar free chocolates & Atkins Bars.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
I really loved this recipe Umpa - Hungarian Nut Torte (I substituted almonds for walnuts) which had a total of 8.5c for the whole torte (11.4 if you added 30g toasted almonds over the top.  It only took me 25 years of keeping the recipe to finally get around to making it  ;D
It called for 2/3 cup caster sugar of which I substituted for xylitol.  The method is to beat the 4 egg yolks with the sugar - my question is 'if I beat the egg yolks with the zero will it turn out a creamy mixture like the egg/sugar mix (it ends up looking like a batter)?'  any thoughts before I actually have to maybe waste 4 eggs doing this to see if I get the same effect?

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:22:29 AM »
Here is my 2 cents......I don't think you are going to get the creamed egg/sugar mixture you are looking for with just the zero.  It may still work for the recipe though without too much difference.   However if it needs the creamed mixture and volume that sugar gives to a recipe, I like to use a mix of erythritol and zero.  The combination of the two compliment each other as well as the physical structure of the recipes is basically the same.  Erythritol is usually easier on the tummy than xylitol, it's just not as sweet.  I usually use a 3/4 erythritol to 1/4 zero ratio.  Maybe this might help?   :)   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 08:18:41 AM »
Morgan could you please post your recipe?The recipes online are all different.They call for 12 egg yolks and graham cracker crumbs.I need to see a list of ingredients ;)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:33:51 AM »
Morgan could you please post your recipe?The recipes online are all different.They call for 12 egg yolks and graham cracker crumbs.I need to see a list of ingredients ;)

This is a recipe I cut out of a magazine 25 years ago (it's dated 15/5/88).

Hungarian Nut Torte

1-1/4 fresh walnuts - grind very finely (I used almond meal) - 5c
4 eggs (separated) - 2.8c
2/3 cup caster sugar (I used xylitol) - 0 c

Beat egg whites till stiff.
Beat egg yolks with sugar until very think and pale
(approx 6 minutes - a ribbon of mixture should hold shape for 10 seconds).
Alternately fold in the nuts and egg whites lightly but thoroughly until blended.
Bake at 170oC until centre feels firm and cake pulls from sides of tin - 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool 15 minutes in tin.  Remove sides.  Cool completely on rack.

Topping:
1/3 cup icing sugar (I used xylitol icing sugar) - 0 c
2 teaspoon cocoa (unsweetened) - 0.7c
1 teaspoon instant coffee - 0 c
60 g whipped margarine (I used butter) - 0 c

Sift and gradually beat into margarine till smooth.

Decorate: 30g toasted almonds - 2.9c

So a total of 8.5c + 2.9c = 11.4c/whole torte

Tasted great (with minor tummy setback) - though wasn't as bad the following day.  Maybe I ate too much?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
Thats alot of Xylitol for one cake!!! One cup!! You can use Zero for the icing.I agree with TooSweet about the cake but I would cut the zylitol for the cake back to half a cup.I will try to make this cake with just Zero and report back.I have company coming in and it looks lovely ;)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:56:52 AM »
Well, I thought I would try this torte again, seeing if I can cut back the xylitol.

Success.  YAY

I cut the xylitol from 2/3 cup to 1/4 cup + 10 drops zero (I had run out of the granular xylitol so I had to substitute with xylitol icing mix.  I had tried just beating the egg yolks with the zero alone but couldn't get a 'batter like' consistency so had to add some xylitol.  Took your advice and skipped the xylitol in the icing completely, substituting zero (don't know why I didn't think of that, suppose my brain is still stuck in the icing/frosting needs icing sugar mode).  It turned out pretty much like the original (icing looks better) and I would say, tummy issues will be avoided.  Such a simple recipe.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »
YEAH!!!!! ;D

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: xylitol
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:14 AM »
If i eat too much dessert with it it will make me have gas too. So I temper myself or I try lol:D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »
use fat to skinny zero no gas ;)

dobjad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 07:11:33 PM »
 I saw on Dr Oz not to use any sweeteners ending in  "itol" ie. xylitol.   He said to use 100% stevia eigher powered or liquid.  I personally dont use splenda for it makes me itch..go figure!

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:47:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum dobjad   :D

Sounds like you may be allergic to something in it   :P  It's nice that we have a few different choices