Author Topic: Attention Canadians, find your low carb products here.  (Read 17381 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Attention Canadians, find your low carb products here.
« on: July 27, 2010, 09:20:41 AM »
I'm starting this thread so our Canadian members can post where they are finding products in their area, this way members won't have to search through the forum to find the answers as to where to buy products locally. Please share your local sources for low carb products with all the other members here.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Steve O

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Attention Canadians, find your low carb products here.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:58:43 AM »
I live in Ottawa Ontario and there are plenty of health food stores but I have had great success with online ordering from http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/ . I found all of the products that Doug mentions in his book and delivery on my first order only took one day. There are also two Whole Food stores in the Toronto area and I believe there is one in Vancouver.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

toddy44

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »
Great, thanks Steve, I'm having some trouble finding stuff, but you've really helped me now!
Linda

toddy44

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:30:34 AM »
Hi fellow Canadians, I posted this under General discussion and Doug asked me to post it on here so that you can all see what I found as a substitute for Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, as it was a lot more expensive at Zehrs (my local grocery store).

I picked a PC brand Salsa Ranch and a Kraft 3 cheese Ranch with the following nutritional info:

Hi everyone,
While doing my first low-carb shop today, I found Hidden Valley ranch dip (as suggested by Doug in the book as a dip for vegie snack trays).
I browsed the aisle for a while and the difference in price is amazing.  I checked the labels and eventually came out with two others that were half the price of the Hidden Valley ranch.  One was a PC brand (a grocery store brand here) and the other a Kraft 3 cheese ranch dressing. 

Nutrition facts below:

Per 1 Tbsp (15ml)

Calories 40
Fat 4.0g
Saturated 0.5g 0 trans
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 210mg
Carbohydrates 1g
Fibre 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 0.3g

Steve O

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 11:27:30 AM »
I found pork rinds at a Metro (A&P, Dominion) store, they were sold in a snack size and I think they were called Bac-uns. I also had some luck finding them at an Asian grocery store, we have quite a few of them here in Ottawa.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

lowcarbnic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:20:28 AM »
I live in Markham, Ontario and there is a fantastic LOWCARB GROCERY store that stocks everything!

You can even order online.  www.lowcarbgrocery.com

:-)

toddy44

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »
Lucky you Nic,
I had to pay $8.00 delivery for my order!
Linda

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »
Thank you for the website for ordering Low Carb products in Canada.  The shipping fees seem reasonable as opposed to driving to Markham to shop.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »
Welcome shihtzumom1! I am umpa dougs wife if I can help please ask.i have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where i convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly.Ask alot of questions and have alot of fun! :)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »
For veggie dip I have been using Renée’s Light Caesar Dressing & Dip.  It is found in the produce dept. at all of my local grocery stores.  It has 0 carbs per 1 tblsp. and tastes great.  This is the one circumstance that the "light" version has less carbs than the regular, I made sure to check.  It is great for chicken caesar salad or wraps as well as dip for veggies.  I didn't even pay attention to the price, I just bought it because I was so excited to find something with 0 carbs.  I'll have to check next time to see if there is a PC dip/dressing similar to Renée’s with 0 carbs that may be less expensive.  Renée’s also has a Light Feta Cheese Dressing & Dip that is 1 carb per tblsp. 

I put in an order yesterday with the Low Carb Grocery in Markham.  I can't wait to get all of my stuff so I can start to make some of these wonderful recipes I keep seeing posted.  I am so happy to be able to order everything I wanted on-line because grocery shopping has been like a scavenger hunt trying to find things and most of the time unsuccessful. 

Well it's a beautiful sunny day today so I am getting off the computer now and going out for a nice long walk.  Have a great day everyone!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »
FYI to anyone who orders from the Low Carb Grocery.  They have a new rewards program that started Sept. 1st.  I got this in an email from them:

"To celebrate the launch of our Membership Rewards Program, receive 1000 Welcome Bonus Points when you make your first purchase (minimum of $60 before tax and shipping) in the month of September (Welcome Bonus award is limited ONCE per customer account and will be credited to your account in October). Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter to be notified of Bonus points Promotion Events! "

https://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/rewards.php

Earn Points
The program is simple - Earn 10 points for every whole dollar spent. During special promotions, you may earn more points per dollar or bonus points on select products.
Note: Rewards program start date is September 1, 2010. All orders placed on or after this date will earn points.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:43:16 AM »
Hey Steve ! How are ya doing? :)

nikiniki9doors

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 02:13:11 PM »
I live in Ottawa Ontario and there are plenty of health food stores but I have had great success with online ordering from http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/ . I found all of the products that Doug mentions in his book and delivery on my first order only took one day. There are also two Whole Food stores in the Toronto area and I believe there is one in Vancouver.

Ohhhh thanks for this!! Im going to check out the price differences between netrition and lowcarbgrocery ... I live right across border so I have US mailing address as well and can receive my netrition stuff fairly quickly and not incur high shipping prices to canada

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:18:45 AM »
I love netrition! :)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
I have been having trouble finding almond meal/flour lately.  The health food store where I usually get it is out of stock and may not be able to get it in for a few weeks.  I called around the Niagara Region to any health food store I could find and found 1 bag.  I was planning on doing a bunch of Christmas baking and needed more than 1 bag.  I checked the Low Carb Grocery and they only carried Bob's Red Mill which has higher net carbs than the NOW brand.  I then started checking on the internet and stumbled across www.well.ca.  They have the NOW brand almond flour, offer free shipping to anywhere in Canada, and accept PayPal.  It was $8.19 per bag, but the last one I bought at the health food store was $7.99, so basically the same price.  I was so excited that I couldn't wait to tell my fellow Canadians.  I haven't looked too much at their site yet to see what else they have as my main thing was the almond meal.  Not sure how long it will take to get here.  My receipt say 1-10 days, which is faster than if I wait for my local health food store, and then who knows if they will get in more than 1 bag.  Actually I just got an email from well.ca and they are already processing my order and it has only been 10 minutes since I placed it.