Lean On My Shoulder > Girly Girl Talk

Finally saw a doctor today

(1/27) > >>

o0OSusieO0o:
I was told I should be on disability & that having one hand & 1 eye should make me eligible. I know I can't work so I told him okay. Going to apply. My blood pressure was taken twice. It's 164/90. He prescribed low dose diuretics. They  weighed me, I'm 135 lbs. I wonder if menopause makes my blood pressure elevate?

morgan:
I couldn't say if menopause causes bp to rise. I have had it most of my life - it a family thing. What surprised me was that he prescribed something straight off. In Australia when your bp is up they usually monitor for a few visits ensuring its not up just because its up from anxiety at going to Drs.  If you were going to see him to go on disability I would have thought your bp would have risen from nerves.  I personally hate taking meds I don't need and scrutinize the known side effects of anything new.  Sometimes Drs just prescribe to cover their own backs.  Hoping this doesn't sound negative to you, it's just me.  Hopefully the bpt is just a temporary thing.

shawn116:
Morgan is right...your BP can rise from many reasons other than that need medical treatment.  Mine goes up and down depending on the level of pain I'm feeling and always if I have an infection of some sort.  Thankfully living the FTS lifestyle has lowered it enough that I no longer have to take the med.  I wish you luck with the process of the disability...it can be a daunting task but don't give up  ;)  I hope you feel better soon  :)

o0OSusieO0o:
I was on diuretics for high blood pressure when I was 207 lbs. After I lost 20 lbs & still on the diuretics, my BP normalized, informed doctor of this today. I wasn't nervous at the doctor at all today. I loved the people there. All was calm at home too. I'm not in pain in my toe today unless it's pressed. It's still swollen though.

From http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78099] [url]http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78099[/url] "There are some studies that suggest that declining estrogen levels may influence the lining of the blood vessels and contribute to increases in blood pressure. Research is currently ongoing that is reviewing the relationship of menopause and blood pressure."

Found this on Mayo Clinic site:
(many websites reported this)
Menopause and high blood pressure: What's the connection?
Is there a connection between menopause and high blood pressure?

Answer
from Sandhya Pruthi, M.D.

Blood pressure generally increases after menopause. Some doctors think this increase suggests that the hormonal changes of menopause may play a role in high blood pressure. Others think an increase in body mass index (BMI) in menopausal women may play a greater role than hormonal changes.

Menopause-related hormonal changes can lead to weight gain and make your blood pressure more reactive to salt in your diet — which, in turn, can lead to higher blood pressure. Some types of hormone therapy (HT) for menopause also may contribute to increases in blood pressure.

To control your blood pressure both before and after menopause, focus on a healthy lifestyle:

Maintain a healthy weight. (okay, I hope I'm at healthy weight)
Eat heart-healthy foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables. (I eat low carb grains, berries & lots of veggies)
Reduce the amount of processed foods and salt in your diet. (I eat very very few processed foods, if any at all)
Exercise on most days of the week. (I admit, this I do not do)
Limit or avoid alcohol. (I drink 2 glasses of wine, about 3-4 days out of the year)
If you smoke, stop. (never smoked)
If necessary, your doctor may prescribe medication to help lower your blood pressure.

umpa:
Susie I am in menopause and I agree with your research. I am also anemic and that causes a raise in blood pressure.I agree with the others about taking meds without more investigation.When you go to the hospital thats how they know you are really in pain(and not just looking for drugs) is elevated blood pressure ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version