Author Topic: Breakfast ideas for travel --  (Read 5545 times)

Rena

Breakfast ideas for travel --
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Does anyone have any breakfast ideas for staying in a hotel room?

Breakfast is easy with room service or restuarants, but does anyone have any suggestions what I could bring to WDW? I normally eat eggs or Smaps cereal, but I won't be able to cook or bring any almond milk on the plane. I'm going right from the airport onto a Disney bus to the resorts, so I won't have the option of stopping at a market that has a lot of selection. I have a hard enough time finding stuff here at home! The thought of going 11 days without milk is distressing. I suppose I could have non-fat, but ... ugh.

We'll be eating breakfast in our room most days. My ILs have stuff for the boys and will probably buy things like donuts and pastries for themselves. I don't want to eat that stuff, but I won't have access to my low-carb yogurt or almond milk. I thought about packing a few Atkins bars just to have something, but I don't like eating those too often. I thought about GG Crispbread and Beanit Butter, but I'm stumped at what else I can toss in my suitcase to take with me.

I really don't know what to do on those days we eat in the room.  :-[

ETA -- Obviously, weight is an issue in my suitcase and I can't bring some homemade stuff that looks funky in my carry-on or TSA will pull me aside and beat me senseless.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:16:58 PM by Rena »

skychant

• View Profile
Re: Breakfast ideas for travel --
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
When I go to the beach I always stock up on Armour Chicken Vienna Sausage.  It comes in a little can and has 7 in them for zero carbs.  I also bring pork skins.  Hershey's SF peanut butter cups and you could also bring Cocoa Roast Almonds.  I hope this helps.  Have a great trip!

Rena

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
Thanks, skychant. I'm definitely bringing some almonds and small things to snack on. My big problem is milk. I know they make individual sized almond and soy milk boxes, but I'm not sure if they make them unsweetened. I'm looking online now, but not everywhere shows nutritional info.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
Can't you by the unrefrigerated boxes at the grocery store? you can put one in your suitcase or take a bus to the grocery store when you get there. :)

Rena

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
That's what I was considering, Umpa. I just was a little worried about it rupturing during the flight. I know that's far-fetched, but with my luck ...  ::) I'd put it in a ziplock bag, but still. I've seen individual sized boxes, but not of anything unsweetened. I'll keep my eyes open between now and then.

As of now, I'll probably bring some cereal and if I can't find any low-carb milks, I'll just use regular but only a small amount. Water would probably be icky. I might bring some GG, Beanit Butter, and bars. We do have times we'll be eating breakfast out and I can always call room service. I was just hoping to come up with some good alternatives to toss in my bag that weren't too heavy. I won't be leaving the resort area the whole time we're there, but I know there are a few little markets at the Wilderness Lodge area where we're staying.

If I do resort to regular milk, which is better carb-wise -- whole or nonfat?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
heavy cream and water it down.the hotel will have that ;)

Rena

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
heavy cream and water it down.the hotel will have that ;)

Ahhh, doh! You know, I thought about that yesterday, but it slipped my mind this morning. That will take care of the cereal part. I'm just such a milk lover and was so happy to find 0 carb almond milk and 1 carb coconut milk. The thought of going without anything like that for 11 days is freaky. I'll live, but ...  :P

Thanks, Umpa.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
This is what I would do. I would contact the hotel and let them know you are on a special eating plan which requires a few special items including almond milk. Tell them you'd like to arrange to have some items picked up and stored in their refrigerators in the kitchen. It may surprise you to discover how hospitable they are. :) Let us know what they say.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
Thanks, Doug. Perhaps I'll give that a try. I have read some people on special diets actually mail some food to their hotel before going. We'll have a mini-fridge in our room, so that will help. I know I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should, but I've worked so hard to blow it now. AND, to top off the fact that I'm starting to lose again after stalling the whole month of March ...

This is why I love RV travel so much! I never have to worry about stuff like this. But when you're at the mercy of the airlines (don't even get me started there!), weight restrictions, no rental car ... ack!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

Rena

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the link, Doug!

I know you & Umpa say eating out is never a problem. I don't eat out a lot now, but I will be for those 2 weeks. I'm hoping I can make the right choices. I've looked at a lot of the park menus and I see things I can eat, but might have to tweek them a bit. My ILs are huge Disney fans and have us signed up for a few of the dinner shows, too, so I'll be limited there. I might have to pick off the skin of the chicken at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, but it's do-able to me. I'm usually not tempted by ice cream stands, Churros, and stuff like that, so I'll be okay for that. I'm bringing some nuts and snacks so I don't get too hungry in between meals. I'm also thinking of bringing meals home in doggie bags if the portions are huge. I might be able to eat something for breakfast in my room that way.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:57 AM »
Hi Rena! :)

Rather than "I'm hoping I can make the right choices." You must say to yourself "I WILL make the right choices."

Our minds control our bodies.
If we allow our minds to wander about in a free range fashion, staying focused on our goals will be next to impossible.

Like Doug says, you'll be amazed how much restaurants and hotels want to accommodate your needs.
After all, they want you to enjoy yourself and come back in the future.

I have faith in you, Rena.
You can (and will) do this the FTS way and have a wonderful time doing it! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

Rena

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »
Thanks, Tony!

I'm pretty good when it comes to willpower. It's just tricky with these dinner shows where the food is limited. I know the parks will accommodate me if I make special requests, so I'll see how things work out. With all the walking I'll be doing, I'm sure I'll be fine.

And Doug -- I'm almost there with those Mickey Mouse shorts! I think I'm going to be able to wear them! :) :) :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
Cool! Make sure to send in a pic from Mickey land of you in your Mickey shorts :)

Mimzy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »
Will your home have a microwave?