Author Topic: Tylers low Sugar Brownies  (Read 23570 times)

SarahC

• View Profile
Re: Tylers low Sugar Brownies
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 09:36:16 AM »
They're called Butter Cream Caramels and the serving size is 3 caramels for 1 net carb. They're my favorite.

Thanks, Doug! I was being lazy and didn't look up the zero conversion.

I also forgot the soy flour in the batch I made last night, but they turned out ok anyway. Would be good with a few nuts.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
I didn't know russell stovers had caramels  Sarah?? I love the caramel dip from walden farms!Makes a great tart! ;)

Russell Stovers makes a bunch of sugar free candies!!!
Our local Walmart has about a dozen different kinds (including Caramel Crunch). ;)
What you do today is what matters!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
I'm taking these to dinner at a friend's today. Hoping to sway her to FTS. Wish me luck!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »
Well, rats! I swapped the xylitol for ZERO and they didn't turn out well. They were very crumbly and not sweet at all. I even put an extra six drops or so in because sometimes sweeteners in baked goods lose their sweetness. I was so disappointed. Didn't impress my friend at all. Didn't impress myself either. Way too bad.

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
LOL Someone really does need to open a place where you can go in an order nothing but low carb form appetizers to desserts

I couldn't agree more  ;D
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

BigTex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »
Well, rats! I swapped the xylitol for ZERO and they didn't turn out well. They were very crumbly and not sweet at all. I even put an extra six drops or so in because sometimes sweeteners in baked goods lose their sweetness. I was so disappointed. Didn't impress my friend at all. Didn't impress myself either. Way too bad.
I'm sorry to hear that Sarah  :( :'(  I was hoping to hear the Zero would help..... 
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
I'm going to try the brownies again with some mayonnaise to make them more moist. The last batch was a little dry and crumbly, too. I know overcooking them can make them crumbly, but these weren't quite done when I checked them so I gave them a couple more minutes. More experimenting.

Thanks for the sympathy, BigTex!

shawn116

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 07:49:49 AM »
I'm going to try the brownies again with some mayonnaise to make them more moist. The last batch was a little dry and crumbly, too. I know overcooking them can make them crumbly, but these weren't quite done when I checked them so I gave them a couple more minutes. More experimenting.

You are probably right here Sarah...it sounds like a moisture issue.  The xylitol does melt down to create some moisture with it's sweetness....  It stands to reason that you would need to add something in it's place.  I also find that when working with the liquid sucralose (I have been using a different brand than the zero) I need to increase the amount in my recipes.  (not by much though) I thought it lost sweetness myself but thought it was just me.....but now I'm thinking maybe not   ::)  LOL

I haven't done a lot of experimenting with it yet at least not enough to know that I need this many drops for this and that.... please let us know how you next batch goes  ;)   

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »
Lack of moisture means one thing usually overcooking.I just made my brownies out of the Bakery book with the Zero and I could not tell the difference between that and the xylitol. I like a cake style brownie though. For a moister brownie you could use mayo or sour cream.Soy flour adds a bitterness to chocolate, so i like flax ,almond or hazelnut.For some reason with  Soy flour when it hits the heat of the oven it turns bitter.I also like coconut oil for moisture. ;) Don't give up Sarah! Fight the brownie Fight! :D
The chart on the Zero for conversions was done in my kitchen.I rebaked tons of recipes out of the Bakery and never had a bulk issue replacing the xylitol(which I argued with Doug forever that I would!!).  :D

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
I forgot the soy flour in the first batch and thought that might be why they were a little crumbly. I'll stop the next batch a few minutes earlier and see how it works - may change out the soy flour for almond, Umpa.

I HAVE TO TELL YOU --- I'm under 200 pounds!!!!! First time in years!!! YAY! I was under yesterday, but waited to see if it was a fluctuation. I'm down another pound today! It's been MONTHS since I lost more than a pound!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »
Don't use soy flour at all.Do you have my recipe for brownies in Bakery book?If not i will post it ;)
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR weight loss!!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
I do have all your books, Umpa. Except the one just coming out. I'll have it, too, next week I hear. I'll try your brownies next time. I've topped the ones I've been making with the caramel candy from Russell Stover. Very good! I'm going to put it inside the brownie next time. I also want to make brownie chips and sandwich shortening (butter)cream frosting with them for an oreo cookie.

And I have to work on the tortillas. So many good things to cook. I got boneless ribs yesterday. It's been a long time since I had bbq ribs. I accidentally put the grill upside down on the coals last time I used it. sigh. Good thing I sprayed pam on both sides of it!

BigTex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
I HAVE TO TELL YOU --- I'm under 200 pounds!!!!! First time in years!!! YAY! I was under yesterday, but waited to see if it was a fluctuation. I'm down another pound today! It's been MONTHS since I lost more than a pound!

CONGRATULATIONS Sarah!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Always happy to hear of an accomplishment like that  ;D I'm hoping to be under 3 soon I haven't been there in YEARSSSSSSSS lol My oldest was just a tiny thing... she's 15 now.......
Will ---

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
YEAH for Sarah!  You go girl.  I remember the feeling and it's great.  You've worked hard for it.

shawn116

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
Congrats Sarah!!!!    ;D ;D  WOOT WOOT

BigTex  you will be there before you know it!!!  Keep up the good work guys!   ;)