Author Topic: kefir  (Read 3598 times)

geo

• View Profile
kefir
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »
How many carbs does Kefir have?  I make my own kefir with raw cow's milk.  I generally have about 4 ounces a day.  I just got Doug's book yesterday and have not read it yet so I have not started the diet plan.  I am just trying to get a feel for whether or not some of the things I take for health will be allowed. 
Thanks,

beebs

• View Profile
Re: kefir
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:55:46 PM »
Well real milk has alot of sugar. Almond milk works really well on the program but I have no idea what kefir is..

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: kefir carb count
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »
What is it? Kefir is a fresh, cultured-milk product typically served as a creamy drink that is as thick as a milk shake. It originated in the Middle East and is now becoming more widely available. Its flavor, similar to that of yogurt, is mild and slightly tart.

The general concensus from my team is home made kefir contains 4 grams per cup (8oz) , so 1/2 cup (4 oz) would be 2 carbs = to 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Now with that said commercially made kefir can run a higher count as much as double, here's a nutritional label from a commercial product;

Kefir (low-fat, plain), 1 cup (227g)
Calories: 160
Protein: 14g
Carbohydrate: 8g
Total Fat: 2.5g
Fiber: 0.0g

If it was me I'd play it on the safe side and count 1/2 cup of your home made kefir as 4 carbs. Remember, active weight loss is maintained at 20 carbs or less per day.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)