Author Topic: NEW HERE--COMBINING EXERCISE--HELP!  (Read 5444 times)

toohottobefat

• View Profile
NEW HERE--COMBINING EXERCISE--HELP!
« on: July 25, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
SO I HAVE BEEN LURKING FOR THE PAST FEW DAYS.  YOU ALL SEEM GREAT AND SO SUPPORTIVE!  I JUST TURNED 35 8 DAYS AGO . I AM THE MOTHER OF TWO.  I AM 5' 4" AND WEIGHED 178 ONE WEEK AGO.  THAT DID IT FOR ME....2 POUNDS HIGHER THAN MY TOP PREGNANCY WEIGHT WITH BOTH OF MY KIDS!! I HAVE DECIDED "NO MORE"! I WANT TO BE COMFORTABLE IN MY BODY AGAIN, AND I WANT TO BE SOMEONE THAT MY KIDDOS AND HUSBAND CAN LOOK UP TO....ME BEING SLUGGISH AND DEPRESSED ABOUT HOW I LOOK, AVOIDING SOCIAL ACTIVITIES BECAUSE I AM EMBARASSED IS DOING NONE OF US ANY GOOD!
MY BODY ALWAYS FELT BEST AT AROUND 130-135, AND IT WAS EASY TO MAINTAIN, SO I AM DECLARING THIS AS MY GOAL WEIGHT!
I REALLY THINK I CAN DO IT WITH THIS WAY OF EATING.  NOT SAYING IT WILL BE EASY--I LOVE ME SOME MASHED POTATOES AND PASTA!!! NO SWEET TOOTH FOR ME; I AM A SALTY GIRL--CRACKERS, POPCORN, CHIPS......
BUT I AM LEARNING IN THIS FIRST WEEK THAT THIS PROGRAM IS DOABLE. I TRULY HAVE NOT BEEN HUNGRY AT ALL!  I HAVE HAD SUCCESS IN THE PAST ON WEIGHT WATCHERS, BUT FIND IT TO HARD TO KEEP TRACK OF THE POINTS, AND THEN I FAIL.
MY QUESTION IS, HOW FAST SHOULD I EXPECT TO LOSE?  I BEGAN THE SUPREME 90 DAY WORKOUT (P90X KNOCKOFF 6 DAYS AGO AND IT IS KICKING MY BUTT!  I HATE EXERCISE, BUT DO LOVE THE WAY IT MAKES ME FEEL!  HAS ANYONE COMBINED FTS WITH SUPREME 90
THANKS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLIES!

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NEW HERE--COMBINING EXERCISE--HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
Hey toohottobefat!  Welcome to the forum!  Love Love your name lol!  Everyone here is super supportive - just ask anything and someone will help ya out!  I've not done the exercise program with FTS, I had done P90X for a while without any diet changes and had really started seeing a difference.  But, P90X is very difficult if you have any physical issues - I have arthritis in my right knee and it became too much for me.  I'm hoping to get back to the gym soon though. How fast to lose is a very personal thing - my first week I lost over 5 lbs, but since it has slowed down - some weeks only .2 (like this week) other weeks a pound or two.  I also keep measurements and strongly encourage you to do the same - some weeks when you don't see much or anything on the scale you will see some major differences with the measurements.  And that helps keep you moving forward!  I'd say good luck, but it's not about luck - so stay strong!! :)

toohottobefat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
Thanks jen1975!  You are my first "friend" here on this forum! 
Yes, i decided P90X seemed way too extreme for me!  I am really liking this knockoff!  Supreme 90 day is only about 30-40 min, but way more intense than any other exercise program I have done!
Thanks for the encouragement!  I am really determined to do it this time!  :)

joagain

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:30:57 PM »
Welcome love the name too,cause we are all to hot to be fat  ;D I cant talk about exercise I am going to be 49 in a week and I am one lazy a@@ women ,which is why I am a slow loser . You are young and you feel good when you do so it will only make you lose faster .

toohottobefat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »
thanks joagain!   i guess i am young, but i am convinced....age really doesn't matter. I have friends my age who are bigger than me, and friends who are much older and super fit.  i have never been "skinny"....very curvy, which i don't mind.  at my wedding weight, which is what i will compare to my happy, healthy best, i was between 130-135.  Now, being 5'4", i know the charts say i should weigh 120.....there is no way!!!  i can't even remember weighing that, even in high school!
I have always been busty and had a booty.  Along with that though, comes a belly....never had a flat tummy in all of my life, even at my "skinniest".  However, now I am convinced that I may be able to get there with this new way of eating.  I am such a carb fiend...maybe that was why I have always been so round in the middle!
We shall see!!!!!!

Rena

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:20 PM »
Welcome to the board, toohottobefat!

I have been on FTS since October 1, 2011 and I exercise regularly. I do about an hour a day and only miss it when I absolutely have to. I use handweights and resistent bands for about 10 minutes, followed by 30 minutes on a Bowflex TreadClimber. After that I get on a recumbent bike for another 30 minutes.

You can lose weight without exercising. I've done that, too. But I think if you're willing to get into the habit now, it's a good one to start. Not just for weight-loss, since everyone loses weight at different speeds, but simply for the other health benefits it provides. Obviously, the more you move, the more energy your body is burning.

How much you'll lose depends on so many things -- how strict you are, your metabolism, how active you are, and a slew of other things. Everyone is different. My weight-loss is slow now, but when I first started I averaged about 10 pounds a month. My husband started at the same time and averaged 30 a month. So, everyone is different.

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »
Welcome toohot!!  Boy I can relate to all of the above except being young...I am now 57, am 5'4", never had a flat belly...have always felt "fat" even when I weighed 145 (my now goal weight) from 205.  I am just 3 years away from being 60 and DO NOT want to be fat anymore.  You are doing great starting now.  When my son was born in 1974 those extra pounds were "baby fat".  It took me 10 years to realize that baby fat wasn't a good excuse anymore.  After that I just resolved myself to being overweight.  It's hard for me to exercise "just because" lol, I have all the excuses BUT now I am trying.  I look at my flabby arms and belly and want to  decrease them as much as my weight.  Today is my 3 week mark and am feeling great.  I know my hubby is tired of hearing how great this is for me ; but I don't care.  He is still being very supportive and lets me buy anything I want (he just bought me a new food processor).  Loving FTS and the food I can eat.  This forum is the best, great folks here, along with loads of information, recipes and support.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:40:40 AM by suzlyn454 »
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

joagain

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:00:03 AM »
Toohot that made me laugh when you said busty and had booty . Well I have booty not really busty  LOL . I am also 5'4 and when I got to 140 , I was a little smaller up top but though the bottom wasnt going anywhere ,so 145-160 was where I was comfortable .
Age doesnt matter that is true but I do believe when you get older it is harder to start and continue exercise maybe not for all but for me . Like Suzlyn said "well cause I just dont " there really is no excuse . I think Jan said in the other post "just a lazy girl " the only exercise I could do right now is walk and walking in Alabama with 104 heat index for a big lazy girl is just not happening , There is always a chance in I will start when it gets cooler  ;)

I guess us lazy girls are gonna have to get us some spanks to hold it all in cause it aint gonna be toned up !  ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
Hello Toohot, welcome to the forum :) Exercise is always a good edition to any healthy life style just don't rely on it to burn any "extra" carbs you may feel entitled too  :o :o Stay under 20 net grams per day to drop weight. I assume you've read the book so you already know why  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:20 AM »
Welcome toohottobefat! I am umpa,dougs wife if I can help you please ask.  I exercise but more for my mood,it makes me feel good.i am 46 and in menopause and it keeps me from ripping the faces off people around me :D Its like when you wear your kids out so they don't have the energy to be bad! :D
I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.
I like to see people set 20 pound goals at a time,of course you may do as you like. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »
Welcome to the family, toohottobefat! :) :) :) :) :) :)

We are here to help and support one another along our FTS journeys.
And we all want to see you succeed at reaching your goal!

We can really feel where you're coming from... We've all been there.
Being FAT is a common denominator we all share now (or in our pasts).

FTS is responsible for curing my type II diabetes!
My doctor took me off my blood sugar med and reduced my hypertension meds last March.
I'm hoping by next Spring to be completely drug free! ;D
This lifestyle really does dramatically improve health.

Looking forward to hearing more about your FTS journey!
What you do today is what matters!

jen1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
Hey toohot!  I've always been curvy too - my goal weight is 145 and I'm the same height as you!  I think that is very "highend" for what is "acceptable" but I don't care.  When I was there before, I looked goood and felt goood! :)  I think that ultimately is a very personal decision that really shouldn't have anything to do with charts and lists, but how you feel. 

toohottobefat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
Thank you all for the great replies!  Really good to get some encouragement!
I wanted to also add that I have taken zoloft for the past 5 years, after my first child.  That is when my weight really started creeping up.  When I got pregnant with my second, I weighed 161.  I stopped taking zoloft during the pregnancy--i only gained 14 pounds during preg.
Right after my daughter was born, I started zoloft again--I knew I needed it emotionally!! While constantly nursing, I got back down to 144.  Then it happened again....weight crept up again, and now here I am!
Anyone have experience with zoloft??  I swear this has made it harder to lose for me--or maybe I just want to blame something other than me!
Any thoughts??

joagain

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
No I think all antidepressants cause weight gain . I had to get on them after my son was born 16 years ago and that is really when I gained the most of my weight .

I still need them but I do not want to get on them  :(

toohottobefat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:17 PM »
i agree there is something about them that just makes everything about me slower.....
i have tried to get off of them, but then have crazy crying spells, etc...
i used to say that i had to make a choice: either be a skinny b$$$$, or be fat and happy!
i am hoping with this fts way, i can beat the fat thing, although maybe slower than others....then MAYBE, some of the emotional stuff will lessen and maybe eventually come off of the zoloft!
that is my prayer anyway! :D