Author Topic: Will power vs. Family  (Read 8869 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Will power vs. Family
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
Novoflux, mouseissue is correct, despite what the ADA and the industry shoves down our throats about the term "hereditary" type 2 is 100% cureable. Your husband is brainwashed like millions of others and he's addicted to sugar. The truth is he won't change his eating habits until he's ready. What will make him ready is watching his wife skinny up, get in shape and prove by example that FTS is worth his time to explore. My advice to you is to do this for yourself and let him catch up.  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 10:23:25 AM »
I am the only one in my family with weight issues so I didn't make my whole family change for me.  I was just determined that I was going to follow the FTS way of eating, it didn't matter what else was in front of me.  Everyone eats the same meat and vegetables that I prepare for myself and I cook an extra starch for them, usually a large amount so it lasts them a couple of days.  I use the recipes in all of the books and here on the forum and everyone seems OK with what I am making.  Actually they are now eating turnip fries now and my husband likes the chayote (we are attempting to grow this in our garden) in place of baked potato as well as the jicama potato salad.  I make sure I have FTS baked goods for myself stashed in the freezer for when I need something and they eat crappy boxed or bagged sweets from the grocery store (I'm sure mine tastes better).  Most of the desserts are very tasty and if you don't tell anyone it's low carb and sugar free, they won't know.  Most families just eat what is put in front of them.  I have adjusted family favourite recipes to keep everyone happy and so i don't have to cook 2 complete meals.  If you need help converting your family recipes, Umpa and the other forum members gladly give help in that direction.  So good luck with your journey and with a little planning I'm sure you can do it.  The others are right, you can't force anyone to want to lose weight and improve their health, so just lead by example.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:25:10 AM by ShihTzuMom1 »

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »

Yesterday, we were in the grocery store.  As we were walking by the bakery section they have all these fresh cakes and baked goods in this tall glass display thing.  Madison said, "Now Mom, just stop looking at those!"  I laughed so hard because I honestly was NOT looking at the food!  I was looking at my reflection in the glass as we walked by!  It just tickled me that I was more interested in the reflection than what was behind the glass!   ;D   It was just a cool little "moment" on my FTS journey! 

That is great how your mind has changed from looking at food with yearning to looking at your reflection with a smile!!  How wonderful!!

Novoflux

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
Thanks Doug,

I'll be honest and say that I'm going to be doing this more slowly than most. I eat allot of furits and berries and it is hard to cut them out. I'm planing on making gradual changes to the food that I buy and eat. And will try to get my family to make some minor changes in what they eat too. I know it is working though, because my activity level (on a weekly basis) is able to maintain my weight, but with the changes I have made over this past week I can tell the lack of unnecessary sugars makes a difference. So I will keep at it, losing 10 pounds a week is not my goal however, to be on the safe side I would probably try for 2 to 5 pounds a week. I have even lent my FTS book to my mom and step dad in hopes they can find some useful information in it like I have.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 03:24:03 PM »
Hi Novoflux! :)

Since you know that you may be losing slower than you would otherwise, making adjustments to the food you eat until you are eating low carb (less than 20 net carbs per day) can work.
But to avoid discouragement using this approach, I would suggest that you do not weigh yourself very often.

Setting goals is important toward achieving anything of significance.
However, be cautious about setting weekly weight loss expectations.

I've been living this lifestyle since August 6, 2010 and have lost 63 pounds.
I honestly expected to have lost a LOT more in that amount of time.
But I've come to learn than my body will lose weight at it's own healthy rate... And that is as it should be and OK with me! :)
If you allow your body the same grace, you'll do just fine!
What you do today is what matters!

Novoflux

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »
Things are going well, I have removed most sugars from my diet. I still eat plenty of fruits and veggies, I just makes sure I eat them at certain times, like before I bike to and from work or go for a walk to the grocery store (which is a 25 min. walk up and down hill both ways)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
Congrats on the 9 pounds Novoflux! You are doing great! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:16 PM »
Nine pounds GONE!!!... Hooray Novoflux!!! :) :) :) :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
I suggest you cut out all fruits except strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and avocado.

Novoflux

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2011, 09:31:17 AM »
Mmm I don't know, that's a tall order for me,  :-[ fresh and frozen berries aren't cheap (I do buy them but on sale) and I wouldn't know what to do with an avocado, I mean I know there are recipes that use it but just to eat by its self? I'm not much for prepping food in advace and I like to just grab and go. I'm still having trouble seeing the problem with eating fruit, yes it has sugar but I don't think its the kind that causes your insulin levels to spike like carbohydrates and glucose. I mean if I know I'm going to bike for 30 minutes I can't see how an apple right before could harm my progress.  :-\ I mean beside getting a scientist to show me chart saying these are the foods that cause your insulin levels to be too high that your body doesn't need the fuel and thus one gets fat. Yes carbohydrate are a bad idea if your not like an athlete, but they eat pasta like no body's business just before a huge competition because they know that their going to use that fuel. If I can figure out how to do that with fruits I think I'd be okay. Becuse this week I start jogging/running on the days I don't bike to work.  ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
OK here's the deal..... your wrong..... simple as that. Fructose causes insulin spikes and makes you FAT...... PERIOD! If you want to stay the same weight and simply burn off the sugar from the apple during your 30 minute bike ride instead of burning FAT for fuel then eat the apple.  ::)

A small apple is the equvilent of 3 1/2 teaspoons of table sugar ( 16 carbs) ............. 1/2 cup of strawberries is the equvilent of 1/2 teaspoon of table sugar. (2 carbs) Your allowed 20 carbs per day in total. If you wish to spend your carbs on an apple then have it but arguing the science of the FAT TO SKINNY program is fruitless (no pun intended)  ;)   

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
Novoflux, your love of fruit is no different than my love of bread and potatoes.  I wanted to lose weight so I was willing to give those up and find a low carb alternative.  Ever since I started the FTS lifestyle I haven't looked back.  The weight came off and my Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure are well under control.  I am not totally off all medications, but everything has been lowered a lot.

As Doug mentioned stick more to berries while you are losing weight. Once you get to your goal weight you can introduce fruit in limited quantities back into your menus.  If you follow the FTS guidelines your weight will come off and your health will improve.  Be open to trying new things, you might be surprised that you have new favourites that are low in carbs. 

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
hi Novoflux! :)

Please read Doug's little yellow book again.
In it, is a very detailed discussion of how our bodies respond to NET carbohydrates from ANY source be it sucrose from table sugar, fructose from fruit, lactose from milk, starches in breads, pastas, rice, etc..

In all cases, these "sugars" metabolize in our small intestines into glucose (blood sugar) which will either be burned or stored as FAT.
The science is really that simple! ;)