Author Topic: At a loss?  (Read 2825 times)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
At a loss?
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
I'm not sure what to say. I haven't been on in a while because I was hoping to provide an update on my weight loss...but I can't :(  regardless of all my efforts, I am still stuck and the same place I was last time I posted about this...I'm going on three weeks at the same ugly weight. What I do know is that I don't work out, if I did, I'm sure things would move forward, but I've lost 17 pounds or so on FTS and that was in the first two weeks, the last two to three my weight hasn't moved. I'm grateful for what I lost, don't get me wrong, but I need to lose more. I don't eat any sugar alcohols and nor have I...so I can't cut them out. I only went over the 20 carbs one time by 3, but that was a long ways back and it wasn't intentional. I drink only water and almond milk. I added the LaTortillas in my diet and the almond flour biscuits so that I could increase my calories without increasing my carbs, so I eat one of those or a GG crispbread everyday to help with calories because my calories were too low at 200-300, but I always stay within the carb limit of 20, and sometimes a little less if I'm not hungry to eat more. I've read everything I could find on here, including Doug's latest post on stalled weight loss, and other than exercise, I'm doing everything right. I don't get it. I haven't given up, I'm just trying to figure out what to do. I"m hoping that someone can tell me if it will kick in all the sudden or not? Is this normal? Did anyone else go through this this early in the program? The lowest I hit was 221 and the highest in the past couple weeks is 224 I seem to bounce around there. Any help family is very appreciated...helpful information I might not know about is great because I'm new but I'm at a loss! Thanks again for your time everyone and hope you all are having a great day! :-*
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Re: At a loss?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:46:33 PM »

At this moment, I can't exercise, for two reasons, I have microplasma and because of stress induced exercise induced asthma that is not controlled and worsened by the microplasma, my doctor doesn't recommend it, but they also told me not to be in the cool air, but I am planning to walk and I CAN walk! I don't mind walking at all :) I'm planning to start walking with my baby and a friend. I can't afford any gyms at this moment, but in May when I graduate I hope I can! But walking is free :)...also none of our gyms have child centers, and no one can watch my kiddo, so again, the walking would be great cuz I can walk with him and push him in his stroller! Do you think walking for 30-1 hour would do any good? That's what I'm aiming for right now :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:16:34 PM by owensmath »
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »
Part of it also is I didn't expect to exercise this early in the program, my impression was many people didn't exercise at first, just follow the dietary constraints. I thought when I lost a little more weight, and I could more easily do it on my heart and lungs without the weight, then I would start again. I used to weight train when I was younger and I loved it...but in due time hopefully I can do it again!

owensmath

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
It doesn't have to be gym-type exercise. Doug always says to just be active. Take stairs instead of elevator, for example. Walking is a great idea.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
Okay, well then it's set...I will start walking and see if there is any improvement! Man, I hope I can come back in a week or two and tell you all I've finally broke out of the 220's!!! I hate seeing that number LOL I'm just trying to make it under 200 right now! I keep telling everyone, one of these days I'm going to throw an under 200 party!!! :P

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »
Hi TabyandZayBaby!  :)

When my wife started low carb eating, after several weeks she actually GAINED weight while I lost it.
We were both stumped and she was almost to tears.
We knew she had serious thyroid problems (taking syntrhoid since I've known her) and thought maybe that was the reason.
I told her to talk to her doctor because something was not right in her body.

Her doctor referred her to a physician that specializes in bariatrics (obesity treatment).
This bariatric doctor understands how carbs metabolize into glucose and believes in low carbing for weight loss.

After some testing, the bariatric doctor added a couple more prescriptions which included 3 doses of Vitamin D2 (50,000 IU each).
Somehow, her metabolism was fixed and the pounds began to peel off her like crazy.
She has lost about 45 pounds since then with low carb eating.

If you still do not start losing weight in the next few weeks, I think you need to talk to your doctor about testing your blood chemistry for imbalances.
If this is the case, I hope your doctor understands low carbing like my wife's doctor.
If not, this may be the time to find a doctor that does.
What you do today is what matters!

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
Thanks mouseissue so much! That is very helpful! I don't have a set doctor, I visit a sliding fee and free clinic and a few doctors there that treat my emergencies, like microplasma and such...but they won't test for non emergency. I did have my thyroid tested, and there was nothing irregular, which actually was frustrating because I am again, left with no answers. But I believe you are right...as a vegan on low carb, it's ridiculous I'm not losing more weight...I hardly eat anything that sticks you know? I do feel like crying because I am giving my all, minus exercise. Hopefully, when I graduate in May, I can get more tests done...but I totally agree with you. Maybe my school clinic can help me out. When I was hospitalized back in September for two weeks, they did a lot of testing and they still have to do many tests, but my body couldn't handle much more, and what was sad, I knew that as soon as I left the hospital, I wouldn't get any help because I don't have insurance, and my hospital stay was covered under an assistance program because I am in full time school, but only things done in the hospital. They think I have Ulcerative Colitis...I don't know if that affects weight loss, but I too, like your wife, actually have gained 3 pounds. I was 221, now 224-225. I promise I'm not cheating...and something must be off. Thank you so much for your suggestion, I think I will check into it as much as I can, and see if the SFA health clinic can help me. Do you know of any specific tests I might ask for, or any imbalance I can ask to have done to see if maybe something is weight correlated? I appreciate you again, thank you. Oh, and I will start walking just in case too...can't hurt! Over the last Christmas break I was walking 15 miles a week...no change then, but maybe with a better diet...shoot, I don't know, at this point, I'm willing to try anything, the last doc I saw at the clinic didn't recommend being out the weather with the chilly air and pollen we have going on in TX, but I think the benefits will outweight the negatives :) thanks again! Have a super night!

Rena

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »
I wish I could be of more help to you, Des. I'm just at a loss when it comes to the whole vegan thing and how that works when it comes to losing weight. It sounds like you're doing everything right, except for maybe (and this is just a guess) that you might not be getting enough calories. Are you anywhere close to 800-1000 a day? I know FTS doesn't focus on calories, but if you're not getting enough, it could be the reason for you. I'm no expert and really wish I could help you. :(

I think walking would be good for you if you can make time for it with your hectic schedule. If not, just do the usual things to help increase your activity like parking further away, using stairs, and stuff like that. Every little bit helps. I don't think my exercising regularly has really made that much difference in how much weight I've lost. It probably hasn't hurt, but I have lost a lot of weight before (62 pounds) without exercising. If anything, it could even slow it down because of building muscle. Again, I'm no expert in this. The only thing I'm an expert on is gaining weight. I'm real good at that.  :D

Good luck and you know where to find me!  :-*

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:35:35 AM »
Thanks Rena! Where would I be without you  ??? I know you're right, the tortillas and almond flour help me reach a good amount of calories, but you guessed it, many times I never break 300 or 500 calories, and of course, not by design, just because water, almond milk, and veggies don't have many calories ;) so I've tried to become creative about upping them to see if my body kicks in gear. Maybe I should start drinking some in SF soda or something, because right now all I drink is water and almond milk...boy, this might be the first time in my life when I had a hard time hitting 500 calories  :D love you all, and as always, appreciate you and will keep you posted....hopefully good news to come!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
Walk ................away from the scale. You are obsessing. Focus on good health ,follow the rules ,and the weight will come off. ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »
:) yes ma'am! Thanks Umpa, sigh  ::) I know you're right  ;)